• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Adobe just changed their policies

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yep. :) Course I've spent thousands over the years on Adobe Standard Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator) much less the individual programs before Creative Suite, for my design biz. Not to mention... ahem... Quark Express:)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I started with buying Flash, side upgraded to Photoshop, then upgraded to Web Standard, then upgraded to Creative Suite Master Collection.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm a long time Paint Shop Pro user, so didn't get into Photoshop until, I think, version 5.5, and then eventually version 7, which I had for a very long time. Back then I was doing a lot of web design, so I used Image Ready about as often as I used Photoshop. I think at some point back then I had Illustrator too, but didn't use it that often.

Eventually I got the CS2 Suite, and once they went to subscription, I figured that's going to be the last version of Photoshop I'll ever get, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything, though some 2D items I find at Renderosity are for CS5 or CS6, so I don't get them, because I don't know if they'll work, especially if they're in PSD format.

As far as Quark Express, the manager at the dance studio where I studied used it to publish their newsletter, but I'm not a Mac person, so preferred PageMaker's Windows version which Aldus released about 6 months or so after the Mac version. Eventually Adobe acquired Aldus (what else is new), so it probably hasn't been updated in years, because Adobe has its own InDesign program.

Adobe did the same with all my Macromedia apps as well, which didn't make me happy either.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
InDesign is basically an updated PageMaker (we all hated it when our studio made us change from QuarkXPress to InDesign, but we're used to it now lol)

Miss B

CV-BEE
I never used QuarkExpress, mostly because I'm not a Mac user, so really can't say whether PageMaker was better, or just similar with versions for both Mac and Windows.

I still use my old Macromedia software because I always liked it, except Flash which I don't use at all anymore. I happen to be a true believer that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", so as long as the software works, I'll continue to use it when I need it.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hated PageMaker, so hard to use compared to Quark it was part of the reason we didn't want to go to InDesign because we all hated PM and QXP was so much easier. I still miss a couple of things I used to be able to do in QXP that I can't find how to do in InD but the later InD are way better than PM. (and I like how I can easily go between a Mac and PC with it, never did get QXP for the PC).

I think I stopped using QXP at 4 and I just checked its up to 14.2.1 now lol

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I haven't used PageMaker in years. I got interested in it when I took a class as an elective when I went back to get another degree in the very early 90s. I liked the class, so got the software and played with it. At the time someone I designed a site for wanted to produce weekly newsletters, so I figured, why not.

Now I don't think there would be any reason why I'd need to use it, so never updated it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
No that was the nickname for Page Maker. It was really glitchy to use.
Hmmm, I don't recall it being glitchy, but then maybe because I took that class, I didn't find it that hard to use. I also didn't use it often, so there may have been instances where I would've had issues at some point down the line.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Years ago, I upgraded to Photoshop CS5 Extended either from CS5. But unfortunately, I misplaced the install disks and license for CS5 years ago. Even though I registered every previous version, my Adobe account only has the CS5 Extended license, so I can't recover it from Adobe either.

So, every time I have to reinstall Photoshop CS5 Extended (like now when I had to replace my hard drive), I have to call Adobe so they can give me a one time use code that allows me to skip entering the license number of CS5. This time, they changed the license for CS5 Extended from Upgrade to Full. Better believe I added that to my licenses spreadsheet!

Adobe may do some really screwy things from time to time, but sometimes they really come through for the customer.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
The way the subscription works seems to be that every time you launch one of their CC programs it checks the mother ship for the state of your subscription. Haven't deliberately disabled my internet connection to se whether the program still launches without it. Otherwise it stays in the background. The desktop app for CC will let you know when an upgrade is available, but up to now it hasn't insisted you take it, since you might be running an older system. It will let you revert to the previous version if you want to. I did that recently when the latest version of Photoshop completely changed the way the transform tool worked.

I took to PageMaker very easily on the whole. Anything beat trying to do heavy document formatting with graphics in WordPerfect. Moving on to InDesign was an easy transition for me. And the typographic controls were even better.

I do still miss FreeHand. Somewhat. Adobe aquired it's host company and tried to kill it twice. The second time, it worked. I've still got a copy on the legacy machine, but I'll admit I haven't needed to get into it for the last couple of years.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I do still miss FreeHand. Somewhat. Adobe aquired it's host company and tried to kill it twice. The second time, it worked. I've still got a copy on the legacy machine, but I'll admit I haven't needed to get into it for the last couple of years.
Yes, they acquired, and pretty much buried, any of the Macromedia software, my favorites being HomeSite+ and Dreamweaver.

Miss B

CV-BEE
So does HomeSite+, which I tend to use more often, so I'm glad for that.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Dreamweaver is still being supported/developed. Not sure how much it resembles the version they acquired from Macromedia.

Darryl

Adventurous
Just a note here - unless I'm missing something, this article is referring to old Creative CLOUD software - ie the subscription version of Adobe's software, not to Creative SUITE software, which was NOT a subscription version.

“We have recently discontinued certain older versions of Creative Cloud applications and and a result, under the terms of our agreement, you are no longer licensed to use them,”

So CS 5.5, CS 2, etc, should not be at all affected by this....again, unless I'm not reading it correctly

Oddly enough, or perhaps typically enough, they're only threatening paying customers, those that are actively contributing to their bottom line. It's one more unforeseen downside to Adobe's subscription model.

Technically software has always been licensed but functionally you owned it. You could do whatever you wanted with the disk you bought; install, reinstall, carry it across country, or use it for target practice. The only thing you couldn't do was resell it, share, or hack the underlying code (under US law AFAIK).

I'm sure the subscription works for some folks but I think a lot more haven't considered the long-term consequences including having a single supplier for your ability to earn income or make art, a monopolistic corporation snooping around on your hard drive, random price increases (I read something about the PS bundle doubling in price recently).

Oh well, you can't fight City Hall... or Adobe.