• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Adobe just changed their policies

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I just chatted with adobe and they gave me the new download links to cs5.5 and sent them in a follow up email. Dunno what's going on. I showed him the article and he said "Adobe is not selling any Creative Suit any more only creative Cloud subscription plan. You can follow the above shared download link to install on your window machine." I asked him if the download will be available for a long time and he said yes.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have CS2, which is older as well. I have a full backup of the whole suite on my external hard drive, so I don't have to keep downloading the software every time I upgrade to a new computer.

As far as not really owning the software we paid for, it's been something that's been around for quite a while, though not necessarily in the public view, so to speak, so folks are now finding it "new" thinking. Unfortunately, we're just paying for the "use" of a product, and not the product itself. The only time you own something outright, is when you can actually take it home with you, but in the instance of software, you're just getting a "copy" of it, not the only copy of the software in existence.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
True. But for what I paid for the Adobe Suite, side graded a couple times so it took a chunk off the full price - even so I considered it a lifetime investment. I have the downloads backed up now and my son will back them up for me as well.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I know, I don't like it either, but there's not much we can do about it.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Apparently, this is the result of a copyright lawsuit filed last year by Dolby Labs. Adobe changed how the licensing costs paid to Dolby are calculated under the subscription model, and Dolby isn't happy with that.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm really curious about this. Photoshop was my favorite program for years. I'll see if I can find any news about it on the net.

Hornet3d

Wise
The law on situations like this needs to be either much tighter or much more transparent. I appears that a lot depends if you ever purchased a copy of the software or were always just had a license to use. The different subscription models also complicates the picture, Vue for example used to have a subscription where you purchased the software but also subscribed which gave free upgrades while you were subscribed. The point here was that when you cancelled your subscription that you still had the latest version of software to use at that point you just lost your claim on future upgrades. This all went south when there was a major delay in upgrades and I, and I assume others, stopped the subscription as I was paying for little more than thin air. In fairness to them though now that Vue has been revamped I have been given credit for all the subs I paid in the form of free subscription which is now the more normal type of subscription.

The further complication related to this is how the law is different in the USA compared with Europe (including the UK for the time being and provably always will). I believe that in the US you cannot sell used software or unused licences where as in Europe you can. This does not impact the subscription model as far as I can see but it does leave users in a mess as the industry moves from selling software to only leasing usage. To my view it should be simple, if I buy a car I can use it as I please and sell it when I no longer have a use for it. The fact that the same car may also be available for lease should not impact my rights. Clearly if I do lease a car I have some restrictions on use and I have no right to sell it.

Having said all that, other than Adobe reader I have none of their software as I became very anti Adobe having spent a few years using a good awful program of their's that was a sort of word processor for the Mac that was standard for the bid support team I worked in at the time. Photo manipulations wise I have been a Paint Shop Pro user since version 5 when JASC owned it and thankfully the new owners Corel have not forced the subscription issue so far.

Willowisp

Adventurous
And then people wonder why some people pirate these things instead. Why pay for something that could be pulled out from under you at any given time?

(Not condoning piracy, mind you, just saying there are many layers to that debate)

Hornet3d

Wise
And then people wonder why some people pirate these things instead. Why pay for something that could be pulled out from under you at any given time?

(Not condoning piracy, mind you, just saying there are many layers to that debate)

I am not condoning piracy either but you are right if companies want people to play fair with them they should at least try to play fair with their customers. True there will always be pirates but if the companies themselves start to look law less then the condition spreads easily.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I used to get paid to read those license agreements. You couldn't pay me enough these days! It's long been the case for a significant amount of software that you are only paying for its use. In some countries they insisted that it be possible to buy it outright, so the same software may be bought (or 'rented') under different terms depending on which country you bought it in.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Just a note here - unless I'm missing something, this article is referring to old Creative CLOUD software - ie the subscription version of Adobe's software, not to Creative SUITE software, which was NOT a subscription version.

“We have recently discontinued certain older versions of Creative Cloud applications and and a result, under the terms of our agreement, you are no longer licensed to use them,”

So CS 5.5, CS 2, etc, should not be at all affected by this....again, unless I'm not reading it correctly

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhh, good point Alisa! I didn't realize that when I first read it, but now that you point it out, I believe you're correct.

In that case, I can see them doing what they're doing.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Just a note here - unless I'm missing something, this article is referring to old Creative CLOUD software - ie the subscription version of Adobe's software, not to Creative SUITE software, which was NOT a subscription version.

“We have recently discontinued certain older versions of Creative Cloud applications and and a result, under the terms of our agreement, you are no longer licensed to use them,”

So CS 5.5, CS 2, etc, should not be at all affected by this....again, unless I'm not reading it correctly

You are right. I was just a little freaked because when I went to the download links I've used for years they were replaced by this page: Adobe apps - download and installation help

I had to start a chat to get the new links.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yeah, that might have freaked me out, too. :)

And it does make sense - with the subscription service you can only use it as long as you pay them...so if you download a version, then unsubscribe, I would not think you could continue using it (which is why I won't do the subscription thing).

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I agree with you Alisa- I have actual physical CDs for some of my standard Creative Suite products. I think the CS (not CC) versions up through CS6 are fine as that was the last "for sale" versions (and what I use:) Though I have been doing the Photoshop only CC sub.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Does anyone know how their cloud programs work? Do you need to be logged into their site for them to run?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I have the Photoshop sub monthly plan. No I've never been logged in to their site while using the actual program. I have also had various versions of the "old " Photoshop since version 2.5 (pre-Creative Suite) 30 years ago:) Basically all is the same except one uses their Adobe Download Manager to update the CC versions etc. (Much like updating Poser these days.) One would need to log in to your Adobe account to give them or change your subcription payment choice etc.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
So basically you get everything for 30 or so a month what we spent years saving for before? Wow. I'm still glad that I have CS5.5.