• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Editing a scene file outside of Poser?

TaishoBee

Adventurous
Hi all,

I use Poser Pro 11. Windows 10.

I'm currently looking for a program to correct a mistake I made.

I have a pz3 saved that I accidentally duplicated a hair file, the hair is very high resolution (Dolly Changeable Hair for Genesis 3 Female) and now I run out of memory when trying to open the scene in Poser.

My question is, is it possible to delete the duplicate hair with something like P3DO so that I can salvage my work?

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
You could try PZ3Editor Lite from PhilC Designs (available on chareCG) for manual editing (make a backup first).

You could try removing the hair from all its locations within the Poser runtime folder, so that Poser cannot find the files when it loads up the scene. Tell Poser not to keep looking for missing files when it asks. Save the scene file (use a different name so as not to overwrite the old one), then put the hair back in its places in the runtime and load it into the scene again.

As a last resort if you had everything set up apart from the hair, open the scene in Daz Studio and export it all as an .obj that you can import back into Poser. You'll still need to redo any lighting and camera setup and will probably need to check the textures.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You could also use a text editor, like Editpad, I would advise against note pad or word pad, and look for instances of reference to the hair. And very carefully remove the second reference. You'd have to be very careful though that all you do is remove things and that you get all the accompanying brackets of all natures and punctuation.

Or you could use that method and remove ALL instances of the hair, and then go back and put it back in.

Again you'd want to save a back up before you start hand editing the file.

TaishoBee

Adventurous
I forgot to add that the file I'm trying to save is 410 MB and it's so big that the program hangs :( Notepad ++ loads it bit then goes into a hang too.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
PZ3Editor can generally cope even with the bigger files (although it may take a long time to load up), and the Lite version is a free download.

English Bob

Adventurous
I use Dimension3D's Poser File Editor nearly every time I use Poser, and I have yet to find a file it can't handle. It's probably the best value-for-money Poser product that I've ever bought. Ralf will be sadly missed. :(

Poser File Editor

I would add that if you're editing a scene file, to be sure to seek out all the parts of the object you're dealing with since they are spread out. As long as you maintain a backup copy the worst that can happen is that Poser will crash when it tries to open your modified file. :eek:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Interesting, as I use the PFE often as well, but I've never tried using it to edit a PZ3 file.

English Bob

Adventurous
I've used it on scene files for all sorts of reasons: diagnosing a problem like missing files; reminding myself what I used in a scene; substituting a geometry file with different UV mapping after the scene was already set up, etc. I have actually used it for the purpose @TaishoBee describes, to chop out something cumbersome that was choking Poser.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
One of things I wish Poser had was what I got so used to using in Quark and other page layout apps a
COLLECT FOR OUTPUT function.
It was so nice finishing a scene with all the parts in place and then Run Collect For Output and have all the files in the scene be transferred to one folder so the whole scene and components and textures etc., can be saved in one place to easier transfer to another computer or render source off site.

TaishoBee

Adventurous
Wow, learning a lot here.

@HaiGan Okay, I'll give it as long as it needs. PhilC's program works, but I'm still waiting on it to finish.

@English Bob I miss them too. Hmm, I don't have the 26 right now or I'd try that.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
If using PZ3 editor, to be totally certain of keeping the brackets matching you can right-click delete items from the left-hand pane, and that will handle keeping the brackets correct for you. However, it will update the whole file every time you do that, which can take a lot of time for a large file. If deleting a lot of items all in sequence in a large file I find it quicker to use the right-hand pane but it does mean taking HUGE care over the brackets.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Poser has CollectSceneInventory (Scripts / Utilities / CollectSceneInventory) which is used to submit an issue to support (which I had to do once) or to archive the scene.

WOW! Blows me away.
So, once I archive the .pz3 and have it in a separate folder with all the Geometry, props textures etc in the same folder (does it put these items in a separate Runtime folder Heirarchy or just as folders or thrown together in one folder)?
And I can bur to DVD and open a year later and have everything that created that file in one place to re-set-up and render?

TaishoBee

Adventurous
Okay!! I got it open in D3d's Poser file editor 3 and I found the first hair files. How do I select all of it and delete it?

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I don't have that specific editor, but I'm guessing there's a right-click menu if you select an item, with a delete option somewhere. Is the hair a hair object, a prop, or a conforming figure? It will make a difference on what you need to search for.

Prop: Delete everything nested within prop HAIRNAME by selecting that title while the list is collapsed and then selecting delete, for each copy of the hair
Hair Object: You are looking for two occurrences of 'prop figureHAIR' for each copy of the hair object, one (for each) somewhere around the middle of the file and the other somewhere around the end. If it displays everything nested beneath titles, just delete the whole section by selecting it while the list is collapsed.
Conforming Hair: The most complex, as everytgig will not be nested into a single line when the file summary lit thing on the left is collapsed. You are looking for 'figureResFile' with the name of the hair associated with it, and you need to delete it along with ALL the actors underneath it UNTIL you reach the next figure or prop, for each copy of the hair, once somewhere around the middle of the file and again somewhere around the end.

And no doubt if I made any explanatory errors in that someone else will be along to pick me up on it.

English Bob

Adventurous
Okay!! I got it open in D3d's Poser file editor 3 and I found the first hair files. How do I select all of it and delete it?

Does the hair appear as a prop, or as a conforming figure? (The first will have a 'prop' line followed by the name of the hair, the second will have a figureResFile line which points to the geometry file.)

I looked up the hair that you're using, and I see it's for Genesis 3 only, so I assume you loaded it using DSON or possibly D3D's XL library? I don't have an example file to hand which uses that method, but I have a feeling that the scene file may appear different for items loaded via DSON. Could you post a screenshot of the PFE window showing the entries you've found?