• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Fairly quiet here too. I was out earlier, but the stores weren't crowded, and the street traffic wasn't as busy as it normally is. It was a nice relaxing day, and the sun was shining. What more can you ask for?

Terre

Renowned
Stores were open? Around here the only places open were the convenience stores (and probably Wall Mart although they may have started closing on Christmas a few years ago).

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
A lot of them open 'til about 5:00pm, which is much earlier than their usual 10:00pm or 11:00pm closures.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
wow! open on Christmas day? That would be a very rare thing here (I think only restaurants and maybe petrol stations are the only things open). They do extend shopping hours before xmas tho so if you haven't done your shopping then you're an idiot :p

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh my local supermarket was open until 5:00pm too. I guess it depends on the location as well, as I'm in a very well populated area, and there's only 2 supermarkets within walking distance, so they are open. You never know when someone needs something for the holiday meal at the last minute. ;)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
When I was young and even when I was first married (60s / 70s), most stores were closed on Christmas. You might be able to find a 24 hour convenience store open. So, if you had forgotten something for Christmas dinner, depending on what it was, you might be able to pick it up last minute from a convenience store. Pumpkin pie without whipped cream just doesn't make it, you know.

As Christmas became less a religious holiday and even more commercial, grocery stores started being open limited hours for Christmas. But now it seems, grocery stores have gone back to being closed Christmas Day, with some convenience stores and pharmacies open.

In Philadelphia, Acme was open until 1 pm. Giant, ShopRite, Trader Joe's, Wegmans, and Whole Foods were closed Christmas Day.

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's interesting about the groceries in your area. In this area we haven't had "convenience" stores in a couple of decades. I remember a couple of them back in the mid-70s when I first moved into this neighborhood. They don't exist any more, which may be why the 2 groceries were open. Then again, I'm not sure they opened their usual 8:00am either. It's possible they didn't open until noon, so were only open a few hours.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
No 7-11s, Wawas, or any other stores like that?

We also have a whole bunch of what used to be like mom and pop stores, but they are generally owned by the same families.

Miss B

CV-BEE
There's a 7-11 not too far from here, but since I don't have a car anymore, it's a bit inconvenient to take the bus to go there.

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
I forgot to take my afternoon medicine today. I cannot take it now as it will keep me up all night as it is a stimulant. It was suggested that I take it at 7:30 pm because that is when I noticed I did not take it. I decided against it because it will make the melatonin I took useless.
I did see a Rock movie today. that was fun and helped eased some of the awfulness of the day.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Belated Merry Christmas everyone!

In regard to shops open our local bakery opens for an hours or so to allow people to pick up bread orders.

Terre

Renowned
MID-West? *giggle* I doubt either found is that far East.

Stripes is new. I don't know where they came from but they bought all of the Town and Countrys in the area several years ago.

Allsups bought all of the 7-11 in New Mexico (as best as I remember) back in the late 70s or early 80s. Initially people were happy about the purchase as it meant the stores stayed open and the employees kept their jobs. Then the fecal matter hit the rotary oscillator. See, Allsups is based in Texas and much of NM still had a TEJANO GO HOME attitude back then so when these stores got their mandatory Texas star symbol the whole state exploded. Within several months the star on every one had been replaced with New Mexico's symbol the Zia Sun. It was just blue instead red. (The name comes from the fact that it is the sun symbol of the Zia Pueblo.)