• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What Is Your Favorite TV Show?

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm not sure it's supposed to be actually, literally, strict timeline, 10 years before TOS as we know it -- like Kirk as we remember him will appear in a decade. There's just too much that's different in this series that can't really be retconned. The new design of the Klingons and their ships, Discovery's "spore drive", holograms, universal translators built in to the communicators, etc. etc.

So now I wonder if they meant it's in a period "as if it was" or "is in a time period similar to" 10 years before TOS, when the Klingons and Federation were at war?

Anyway... when I watched it I let go of everything from Star Trek: The Previous Iterations and watched it on its own merits. That was okay and worked for me.
Well there are two versions of Trek now. Roddenberry's original flavor and the JJ Abrams new version where Kirk has already met Khan and The original Spock was mentoring his younger self.

James R.

Busy Bee
Well there are two versions of Trek now. Roddenberry's original flavor and the JJ Abrams new version where Kirk has already met Khan and The original Spock was mentoring his younger self.

Yeah...the 'Kelvin' timeline or something? CBS did state that this wasn't in JJ's new timeline. So this is a third timeline I guess? Or a second and-a-halfth? Or from a non-subjective, non-linear viewpoint, it's like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey -- oops, wrong show.

Ten years before TOS.

But it’s so radically different and a lot of tech makes no sense before TOS that I just choose to believe all other Treks don’t exist in ST: Discovery.

There is a theory regarding the tech, like the "teleportation drive"; namely that it's experimental and, for reasons unknown, may not remain in wide use.

Yeah...the 'Kelvin' timeline or something? CBS did state that this wasn't in JJ's new timeline. So this is a third timeline I guess? Or a second and-a-halfth? Or from a non-subjective, non-linear viewpoint, it's like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey -- oops, wrong show.

That may work, since the repercussions could end up leading to either timeline, or branching off into a third; who knows.

James R.

Busy Bee
There is a theory regarding the tech, like the "teleportation drive"; namely that it's experimental and, for reasons unknown, may not remain in wide use.

That may work, since the repercussions could end up leading to either timeline, or branching off into a third; who knows.

I suppose it's all plausible. They do run into stuff that actually is from TOS, like one of the guest characters (won't spoil whom for those who haven't seen it). And that character was messing around with time...so... who knows?

I'm okay with this show being its own entity, too, though. A reimagined Star Trek that is similar enough to be familiar, but is not really beholden to TOS or any existing Star Trek property. But I guess that would make it a reboot or something and...this is starting to get confusing! lol

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
What I loved about Babylon 5, and Deep Space 9, was the fact they didn't take place on a spaceship cruising around the universe. They both took place on space stations with many different species living and interacting with each other. To me those stories were much more interesting.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I'm not sure it's supposed to be actually, literally, strict timeline, 10 years before TOS as we know it -- like Kirk as we remember him will appear in a decade. There's just too much that's different in this series that can't really be retconned. The new design of the Klingons and their ships, Discovery's "spore drive", holograms, universal translators built in to the communicators, etc. etc.

So now I wonder if they meant it's in a period "as if it was" or "is in a time period similar to" 10 years before TOS, when the Klingons and Federation were at war?

Anyway... when I watched it I let go of everything from Star Trek: The Previous Iterations and watched it on its own merits. That was okay and worked for me.

I almost forgot! In the first movie, THEY REWROTE TIME! Once you do that, any change goes. Let's face it, the Enterprise that Shatner/Kirk is quaint compared to the Enterprise Pine/Kirk now commands. That last movie was so much fun! As an original watcher of the original series was back when Lyndon Johnson was president of the USA...I Approve!!!

James R.

Busy Bee
I almost forgot! In the first movie, THEY REWROTE TIME! Once you do that, any change goes. Let's face it, the Enterprise that Shatner/Kirk is quaint compared to the Enterprise Pine/Kirk now commands. That last movie was so much fun! As an original watcher of the original series was back when Lyndon Johnson was president of the USA...I Approve!!!

True, true. They can pretty much do whatever they want now...lol

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
One would think not!

Although, I could be wrong about it being old people. It could have just been people ... regardless of age.

D

Deleted member 325

"Firefly nailed it"? I guess it's hard not to when you use every overused stereotyped trope in the book. I'm sorry, I'm the one person in America who never got what everyone sees in Firefly.
Sadly, so many shows that you could say have the same stereotypes lacked the good character interplay that made firefly work. It was the way the characters played off of each other that made it work and why I say they Nailed it. I rather enjoyed the interplay between the crew. I also disagree about them using every stereotyped trope - but not everyone needs to agree. Not everyone needs to like the same shows - or even like them for the same reasons.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Funny thing: When I first heard about Soylent Green being made of people, it made me start wondering what the hell was a "soy bean"? I had never heard of it before.:unsure:

Lots of stuff is made of Soy now. Vegan food products are a good example. Soy sausages, mince, cheese, milk and more.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Soylent Green came out when I was a kid, Bonnie. It's an old movie and not a lot of stuff was made with Soy beans waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy back then.:sneaky:
Not in the USA. However, way back when Jimmy Carter was president, I was stationed in Okinawa. I grew tired of the local cuisine and went in search for two things. Tacos and Cheeseburgers. I didn't find tacos on the first journey out but instead I found something called Soybean Bean Burgers. They didn't have cheese but I feasted on this facsimile until was full! The next year A&W Root beer opened up a franchise on the island. The taste wasn't the same and they didn't have root bear because I was told the taste was foreign for the locals. The service however was incredible. I went back several times.

eclark1894

Visionary
Growing up as a kid in the 60's and 70's, in the south, I grew up across the street from a Ralston Purina plant. They made dog food. I found out later, or rather I heard later, that they used soy beans to make the dog food. I hope you'll understand then that I've always associated soy beans with dog food, and I've never been too eager to try it out.:coffee:;)