• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What Is Your Favorite TV Show?

Dylan

Eager
I loved the Walking Dead. That is until the two opening episodes of series 7 when they totally ruined it for me. I haven't watched it since.
I like an old 1980s series called "Only Fools and Horses" which is a UK made comedy series that ran for about ten or more years.
Apart from those, I don't watch too much TV as I don't get the time with work, training, teaching, walking the dog, partying.......

McGyver

Energetic
Initially I liked the walking dead too.
Having grown up in NYC, I knew lots of zombies and they can be real nice former people.
After a while the show really started to focus less on the zombies and more on the stupid people.
Who needs to know about the people, everyone knows some people... Aside from maybe at work, how many zombies do most people really know...?
I really didn't know many southern zombies either, so the show taking place down in Georgia had some promise.
I've been down to Georgia a bunch of times, I know a bunch of folks from Georgia... Nobody is as stupid as those humans on the show... Not even the stupid people are that stupid.
But I was like, "okay maybe they are going somewhere with this..."
But no... Two decisions, they would always chose the worst one.
Every single stinkin' time...
I was really routing for the zombies after a while... You had to admit they were probably just eating those people to stop all the bickering and drama.
But the real nail in the coffin was that episode when the deputy's son eats the big can of pudding while trapped on a roof.
Suddenly people became aware of those eight pound cans of pudding.
People were stocking up on them, giving them as gifts...
The price went up from $7-$8 a can to about $35...
Now I couldn't buy my mega pudding cans...
That was it... they insulted zombies and made them look foolish, made people from Georgia look like knuckleheads and drove up the price of huge cans of pudding.
I say good day sir... Thank you very much I'm done.
You were right to leave when you did, I don't know how the zombie situation is in Ireland, but I can't imagine the zombies there weren't bothered by that show.
Anyway... Hi Dylan!
Good to see you back.
And sorry about spreading rumors about you being a werewolf...
Everyone knows it's not true.
Wink wink nudge nudge.
Too bad there's no emoticon for that... Seems too obvious when one writes it.

Bye!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
A Review I just dictated to post on Amazon....

HBO's Westworld

Utterly Repulsive, Horribly Fascinating

Warning small spoilers included...
I know the story from the TV series so I bought this new series to watch on DVD. I was not aware that it was made by HBO, so when I received the DVDs to watch, I saw that it was by HBO and I thought: Ah Oh, this is going to be heavy duty violence and probably sex... And certainly it was full nudity and the grossest, bloodiest violence of the old West possible. And yet I kept watching the episodes because the two robotic leads-Dolores and Teddy were so hopeful to be a positive note. That didn't turn out well! And where it looks like it is going in season two made me think "there is utterly no way that I would want to watch season two!"

Thandie Newton is an incredible actress and I must admit I'm curious about her journey still. In fact all the acting and writing were top notch� and the questions that man dwells on brought to us in Michael Crichton's book were all there... Very heavy duty psychological horror drama! I certainly had a very visceral reaction, because my outlook on humanity is generally an overwhelming negative feeling of "man's inhumanity to man"... So as I said, I can't think I would ever consider watching season two... Or would I? Certainly the violence in season two would be about actual human beings being slaughtered as opposed to the robot characters being constantly slaughtered in season one is a very serious factor! Certainly it would make it more repulsive than even season one!

I must admit that I feel like going back and finding the movie and TV series on DVD to re-watch as I'm certain that they would be less repulsive and violent! As I remember the TV series had a short run being canceled early.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I care more about your review, @Lyne. Do you recommend it or suggest I pass? If you're not easily offended I can recommend the Young Pope also on HBO on Demand.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
At the moment with my PC in for repairs, I'm binging on Westworld and Fortitude. I had to watch the old Westword movie first to get what it is about. In episode 6 of the new series, I noticed immediately the cowboy character (played by Yul Brynner) from the original movie can be seen out of focus in the background of one scene. They even got the pose correct.

I wonder will we see a CG Yul Brynner cowboy in series 2, going crazy like he did in the movie?

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I care more about your review, @Lyne. Do you recommend it or suggest I pass? If you're not easily offended I can recommend the Young Pope also on HBO on Demand.

Well it's totally up to you and your 'tolerance level'.... it has MORE gory/evil violence than even True Blood! I'll check out Young Pope.... I don't get ANY TV in any form so I can only buy DVD's "a year late".....

quietrob

Extraordinary
Well, it's not action packed with zombies or flying dragons. But as a political theological thriller, it's fascinating. I totally understand about no TV. Life isn't cheap!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I KNEW there was a TV "westworld" way back when.... I looked it up in Wiki.... Beyond Westworld - Wikipedia .... so I went and bought the original movie, the "weak" sequel and the TV series.... this should be a lot of fun compared to the new HBO horror series!

Meanwhile, I also bought the longer-running Wild Wild West.... I remember that was fun! Right now, I'm re-watching Lois & Clark.... had to turn my TV flat screen to a 4:3 ratio for it (and may as well leave it there for WWW) .... these OLD shows are more "oldies but goodies" compared to the fare on TV today in my opinion... L&C was incredibly well done - both writing and acting....and it had a LOT of humor... TV shows today SAY they will have humor....but they really don't have that quality... like in the Flash... LOVED the first season, had hope, but soon it grew dark also... I gave it up after season 3!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
At the moment with my PC in for repairs, I'm binging on Westworld and Fortitude. I had to watch the old Westword movie first to get what it is about. In episode 6 of the new series, I noticed immediately the cowboy character (played by Yul Brynner) from the original movie can be seen out of focus in the background of one scene. They even got the pose correct.

I wonder will we see a CG Yul Brynner cowboy in series 2, going crazy like he did in the movie?

Oh good catch! I missed that!! IF (and it's a BIG if) I go ahead with WW season 2 (if I can really STEEL MYSELF against the horror/negativity) I'll re-watch season 1 first and try and watch for this scene!

I always get more out of my DVD's by re-watching the previous season of shows that go on farther.... (I actually own a lot of single season canceled shows...there are some good ones out there).

quietrob

Extraordinary
They just played the original Westworld on TCM. A movie channel here that comes free with no commercials. It's all old movies (old being a relative term). It was just as chilling as the sequel was slightly more fun. Yul Brynner alwats steals almost scene that he was in. Thankfully he played this role twice, with a bit part in the sequel. It's always fun to see such A-list actors and actresses in Science Fiction. Charlton Heston made some scifi movies that were actually groundbreaking. Edward G. Robinson in a science fiction movie? That was special.

Soylent Green is made out of what?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Charlton Heston, IIRC, was in the Planet of the Apes movies, wasn't he? Or at least the first one. I don't think I saw them all.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yah Charlton Heston was in the first Planet of the Apes and another two. One of the recent ones.

If you haven't heard of the Orville, I highly recommend it! Especially if you are a Star Trek fan. It's Seth McFarlane's take on ST. A lot of fun!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Orville seems like a poor imitation of Star Trek. It's as if each episode is a Star Trek episode we've forgotten ... but without the magic that made Star Trek and its sequels so great. While I'm all for science fiction shows, I just don't care what happens to Orville or any of the crew. Well ... other than Yaphit. It needs to return to its home planet. Sooner rather than later. I suppose Seth MacFarlane couldn't resist including an absolutely absurd and pointless crewman creature on Orville. (Yaphit is a gelatinous creature who seems to exist just for people to run through it.)

None of the characters have been developed yet ... which by now they should have. They all seem just too one dimensional. It's also like the whole series has been built up around one gag. That being ... the first officer is the captain's ex-wife ... who he walked in on while she was in bed with a blue alien. Which of course, then led to him pretty much drinking his career away. Only to be rewarded a year later with his own command of a starship. Um ... right. Let's make a drunkard the captain of a starship and then send him out on diplomatic missions.

I suppose the best description of Orville is the one made in a review by Liz Shannon Miller. She wrote ... "Seth wanted to cosplay being captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise. And Fox let him do it."

Orville has been renewed for a second season. Which surprises me. I actually expected it to be cancelled before the end of the first season.

But then ... it is Fox.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I just ran through close to 200 photos on IMdb taken during the first season, and there wasn't a single one which caught my eye.

I guess the note comedic drama wasn't far off. I'm getting the feeling this is supposed to be a "spoof" of the Star Trek series.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It's sort of spoofy but you can tell that Seth McFarlane really liked Star Trek. I really like it. It's fun! And I've watched all the original and spin off Star Treks several times. I've even been to a couple of conventions. I think The Orville is kind of like when we were kids playing Star Trek and those are the episodes we came up with. I was always Spock btw!

Has anyone seen the newest Star Trek? I've heard mixed reviews.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I like the new Star Trek, much darker than the other ones tho.

Regarding Orville, I know a lot of people thought it would be like "Family Guy in Space" so were disappointed it wasn't anything like that. Yes, its very Star Trek like but trying to be funny at the same time (but not a real comedy or a real spoof) so its a bit odd and a bit one dimentional. I didn't think I'd like it but I do.