• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Let's talk about.....POSTWORK

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
This is starting with a post in response to a comment about Postwork in the Dawn Render thread. It seemed to be a good topic and was taking on a life of its own, so....I've moved that discussion here so it can grow and flourish!! HAVE FUN!!!! :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
There are 3D artists who are a bit "snobbish", and they don't think there should ever be any postwork.

I, on the other hand, think a little postwork goes a long way, even if it's just brightening it up a little more than what came out of the render. I always like a render I don't have to postwork, but I'm not against using it at all. I've seem some amazing renders done with a lot of postwork, and I think it all enhances the render, so nothing wrong with it.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I always thought postwork was cheating... Now I'm realizing it's all part of the art ... and... I'm lovin' it!

No, no, no, no! :D It is NOT cheating. Not at all!

Every image in every magazine is photoshopped. Every video or still image on advertisements that you see is photoshopped. Every billboard image.. photoshopped. If you can improve your image with postwork, why would you not? ;)

There is nothing elitist about using the postwork, and I just don't subscribe to the mentality that postwork is somehow inherently "wrong." I think it's a great tool, and can prove to be of immense value depending on the image and what the artist is going for. Even professional photography is edited and enhanced before being published... so why should we deny ourselves the ability to do the same thing? That's how I see it. :)

There is not ONE image of mine that was rendered in the last four years, which is un-postworked. They are ALL postworked in SOME way - even if it's just a slight color or gamma correction, or a slight sharpening to bring the details out. Some pieces need far more work than that; other pieces don't need more than that. Each image is different, but pretty much anything I've produced in the last four years is postworked to one degree or another. LOL

The only time I do NOT postwork an image, is if I'm doing a promo render for a texture, in which case I keep it "as is" out of the renderer so folks can see exactly what they'll be getting. But that is the ONLY time I don't postwork a render. ;)

PS - I love your use of DOF. I'm another one of those folks who loves to make avid use of DOF... it can add SO much to a render, and you use it well. These are some very lovely images. Hope to see more!

Llola Lane

Adventurous
I didn't mean to be 'snobbish'... I just didn't realize it was possible when I was first starting with 3D... A lot of the contests over at Daz say that postwork isn't allowed... so I just thought that was the norm.... 3 years later... I'm finding it isn't.
I too would rather not have to do postwork... and lots of my work isn't (except for the signature).

Llola Lane

Adventurous
Thank you kindly Seliah... I'm not very good at postwork... but I'm learning new stuff every day... and I keep trying. ;)
<-- is happy to know she isn't a cheat! giggles

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Just about anything you see out of a window in any of my renders is postwork. Usually from didi_mc. Occasionally it's a different render done for the purpose.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I ... on the other hand ... do massive amounts of postwork with layer upon layer of filters and overlays. My intent isn't to create an image that mimics a photograph, though I am in complete awe of those who do. But, to create a piece that has the feel of an illustration. I used to have the technique down for creating more of a wet in wet watercolor look like these two, but I lost the photoshop files years ago when my hard drive crashed.

upload_2016-1-31_2-16-21.png
upload_2016-1-31_2-16-46.png

I should probably try to recreate it again.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I am always IN AWE of your photoshop skills, Satira! Together with your modelling, composition and lighting you are the complete 3D artist :applause:

Hornet3d

Wise
Just about anything you see out of a window in any of my renders is postwork. Usually from didi_mc. Occasionally it's a different render done for the purpose.

Same here although, as I am into sci-fi the view out of the window is normally a space scene. I am also a fan of didi_mc and have a lot of such items.

I find that adding things like smoke and fog is very time consuming in a render and difficult to get right first time. Sometimes I do use the atmosphere in Poser but I always add to that with post work. It is much easier and flexible to do thatm with postwork, same for backgrounds. I have been a keen photographer since I was a boy so I have had a lot of years to play with image manipulation programs. Heck I even used to dodge things when in the darkroom and playing with trays of chemicals.......now I am really showing my age. Thing is, even our eyes often don't see how it is in reality like 'seeing' white light even when indoors, something you notice if you take photos indoors also, our memories are heavily influenced by our feelings, why should 3D art be any different.

I agree with Seliah, with the exception of promos for a product such as textures, everything else is fair game.

Hornet3d

Wise
I ... on the other hand ... do massive amounts of postwork with layer upon layer of filters and overlays. My intent isn't to create an image that mimics a photograph, though I am in complete awe of those who do. But, to create a piece that has the feel of an illustration. I used to have the technique down for creating more of a wet in wet watercolor look like these two, but I lost the photoshop files years ago when my hard drive crashed.

View attachment 3025 View attachment 3026
I should probably try to recreate it again.[/QUOTE

I really admire those that have the skills to create something that is truly photo-realistic. I don't have enough years left to learn such skills, assuming of course I even have the potential.

All my 3D art is based in the sci-fi/fantasy arena and so is never going to be mistaken as a photograph and I still enjoy photography in the real world. My renders are from my imagination and my aim is always to create something that is believable rather than photo-realistic, and even then I struggle.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I am also a fan of didi_mc and have a lot of such items.
I couldn't remember how many of didi_mic products I actually have, so I just checked, and I have 20 of them. They are great!

As far as postwork goes, I think the two renders I did the most postwork on were entries in an RDNA render challenge back in 2010. Both initial renders were done in DS 3 Advanced using Daz's Heart of Space - Nebulae, and the first render has 20 postwork layers, and the second render has 15 postwork layers.

You can see them here --> SpaceScapes Challenge

Miss B

CV-BEE
I didn't mean to be 'snobbish'... I just didn't realize it was possible when I was first starting with 3D... A lot of the contests over at Daz say that postwork isn't allowed... so I just thought that was the norm.... 3 years later... I'm finding it isn't.
I too would rather not have to do postwork... and lots of my work isn't (except for the signature).
Oh, I wasn't referring to you, Llola, when I meant some folks are snobbish. There's a well known 3D site where the members are just that. If you don't use top-of-the-line software costing thousands of dollars, and do all your renders without postwork, you're just an amateur. I don't condone folks like that, and in no way did I include you, or anyone else here, in that group. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Hornet3d

Wise
I couldn't remember how many of didi_mic products I actually have, so I just checked, and I have 20 of them. They are great!

As far as postwork goes, I think the two renders I did the most postwork on were entries in an RDNA render challenge back in 2010. Both initial renders were done in DS 3 Advanced using Daz's Heart of Space - Nebulae, and the first render has 20 postwork layers, and the second render has 15 postwork layers.

You can see them here --> SpaceScapes Challenge

I don't think I have ever used that number of layers so my post work is limited in comparison. I have also been known to use the clone brush if I have a render that took a long time and Poser has thrown a wobbly and missed a bucket.

I knew they did a lot of post work on the models you see published photos of but it was not until I read a book on the techniques that I realised just how far they go with the changes.

Love the SpaceScape by the way, right up my street.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
In the interest of returning the Dawn Render thread to be the Dawn Render thread , how about if we move all this to a thread talking about postwork?

I can start that and move this page of posts over to it :)

Hornet3d

Wise
In the interest of returning the Dawn Render thread to be the Dawn Render thread , how about if we move all this to a thread talking about postwork?

I can start that and move this page of posts over to it :)

Of course, sorry for going off at a tangent.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
In the interest of returning the Dawn Render thread to be the Dawn Render thread :)
Of course, sorry for going off at a tangent.
LOL, no worries - it was a group tangent :) And something I suspect people will want to discuss at greater length!!