• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Harimau

Eager
I like those Honey Pot Ants because they're so colorful. :)
In nature, they only come in various shades of amber like honey. The coloured ones are artificially fed with with coloured syrup (green syrup: green ant, blue syrup: blue ant, etc.).

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhhhh, interesting tidbit. I still like the look though, even if they were just various shades of amber.

Carey

Extraordinary
Gee I don't know whether to turn over a new "leaf" and get all "fired" up? Does a Charlton Heston morph come with the soldier ants?

Okay, Okay I'll lay off, great stuff as usual!!!!

Carey

Extraordinary
Scientists have discovered a new type of 'hell ant' - a species with terrifying spiky mouth parts reinforced with metal and used for drinking the blood of its enemies.

That's an ant!
Story here
Why do I see yet another remake "jurassic Park" in the near future. ... Ants that know how to forge needles...man..lol

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Frustrated with getting the 3delight materials right for the ant sets, I moved towards my supplemental set ideas...

With 12 different species of ant and 30 individual characters (different subspecies, soldiers, workers, etc) in the set, I decided that additional items should be grouped into another set or as "Sweet Deals". My additional plans are prop based ant lines and groups, an ant hill environment (that could blend into my habitat sets), a giant ant Dawn/Dusk could ride with conforming ant wings (that will work for the small ones too), food/seeds/more leaves and the item I worked on yesterday, "My Ants House" (wip shown). There are numerous ant habitats out there-- I tried to pattern my model after the "King" (Ant Farm), but at a distance most competitors have taken to avoid trademark issues. It appears that the "farm" background is the key identifier in "Ant Farm".

MyAntsHouse.jpg

This will probably be a character-based prop since the feeding plugs and top frame are built to be removable. The sand texture could be replaced with a "gel" one-- the latest fad in ant keeping. I'lll probably add, via a displacement map, the name "My Ants House" to the base piece. And, yes, the tunneling is different on the other side.

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's the completed Ant's House (rendered in FireFly), plus the Argentine and Army Ant (rendered in Iray). You'll notice first of all that I've added the promised displacement maps to the Ant House with the logo and silhouetted ants on the base, as well as some leaves stamping on the trees and ridges on the removable feeding caps. I also smoothed the geometry on the ant tunnels a little and added SSS to the sand (note the feint light/shadowing coming from the tunneling on the opposite side).

On the Iray renders, I think I've hit upon a couple good formulas for for larger and smaller ants. A good 3Delight material set is still eluding me, but I'll get it.

MyAntsHouse.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I've now completed all the materials and promos for the main Ant set and the Ant House... I'm moving towards the prop ant lines and clusters. Beyond that, I'll be doing the giant ant materials and a conforming ant wings (for both giant and small ants). Most of these supplemental items will be either be combined into one set or offered as "Sweet deals".

Here's the Iray version of "My Ants House" (with some extra materials shown including using gel instead of sand for the habitat (one of the latest innovations in ant farming).

NW_AntsHouse_Promo2.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Keeping busy as my ants, I've embarked on the next phase of my ant projects... the Ant lines. While they are technically a grouped version of the single ant model. I've selectively reduced polygons (by about half), while keeping the species shape and not making the UVs go crazy. They still a little polygon heavy but that's the best I could do and keep a good close-up resolution.

Here's a few examples of the ant lines.

Here's three lines props of Red Stinging Ants, using a couple of the 50+ morphs in this ant line prop. I created this in literately under a minute.

Ant Lines1a.jpg

and here's 7 line sets of Argentine ants that pretty clearly show the diversity you can get in each prop from the morphs to make a realistic and non-repetitious ant line
Ant Lines1b.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW, that's pretty cool Ken. Not that I really like ants, but for rendering them in scenes, that's a lot of versatility.