• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP Dawn S.E. Faces of the World Underway

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Even Korean descendants who were born and raised in Japan prefer to keep their nationality as "Korean", which is rather odd, but understandable. As for Japanese initial colonization, I haven't heard of this version when Korea would had been colonized by people coming from the Japanese islands. The history I've heard tells the contrary - the people from the continent (where now is Russia) came to Hokkaido (Japan's northern island) during pre-history, which is about 40,000 years ago, and settled down to become the Ainu. They were the first inhabitants, but looked nothing like the Japanese look today. Some of them still don't nowadays, which is odd even to the Japanese. They remained in the north, though. It was much later that the main island (Honshu) was inhabited, and there is a lot of controversy about who they were, but it's certain that they came from the continent - probably Korea and/or China. It is more or less accepted that the Japanese have a common ancestor with the Mongol people. No wonder the main island was uninhabited for so long - 70% of it is covered by active volcanos and high mountains, making only 30% of the land inhabitable. Even nowadays, we have about 50-80 earthquakes EVERYDAY in Tokyo. I don't miss that part.

One funny thing is that the origin of the Japanese language is mostly unknown. It has features in common with German, which makes it even more mysterious.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That IS mysterious.

Here in the US, we pretty much known how and when the European invasion occurred. But when you're talking about something that occurred 23,000 years ago, it's a bit harder to pin things down. Either the indigenous peoples in the Americas came over in one massive migration, or in three or more migration waves. That first massive wave most likely came across the Beringia land bridge which connected Siberia to what is now Alaska. Later waves ... which came after that land bridge disappeared may have arrived by boat. The first boat people to the Americas?!?

Either way ... apparently, the Americas were the last place on earth to be settled. We've always been the new kid on the block!

Zaarin

Brilliant
Yes, I was talking about ethnic Japanese; the Ainu and their relatives were in Japan long before them. Cousins of the Ainu probably made their way into North America, if Kennewick Man (or Ancient Patrick Stewart, as I like to call him ;)) is any indication. While the broader Altaic family has widely been discredited (probably a Sprachbund, not a language family), some linguists still cling on to Korean and the Japonic languages being related. There are some promising leads, but so far such a relationship remains undemonstrated and will probably remain so for the foreseeable future. Otherwise, Korean and the Japonic languages do indeed have no known relatives (unless you count some of Korean's medieval cousins like Buyeo).

That IS mysterious.

Here in the US, we pretty much known how and when the European invasion occurred. But when you're talking about something that occurred 23,000 years ago, it's a bit harder to pin things down. Either the indigenous peoples in the Americas came over in one massive migration, or in three or more migration waves. That first massive wave most likely came across the Beringia land bridge which connected Siberia to what is now Alaska. Later waves ... which came after that land bridge disappeared may have arrived by boat. The first boat people to the Americas?!?

Either way ... apparently, the Americas were the last place on earth to be settled. We've always been the new kid on the block!
At least three: the Amerindians arrived ca. 20-12,000 years ago; the Na-Dene arrived ca. 6,000 years ago; and the Eskimo-Aleuts arrived ca. 3,000 years ago. There may have been two or more invasions prior to the Amerindians, represented by Kennewick Man (see above) and the now-extinct relic population of the Tierra del Fuegans. Upper estimates for the population of the New World make it older than the population of Australia, so America may not have the youngest population in the world--though Native Americans do have the lowest genetic diversity of any population in the world.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I have to say that (at least with my dyslexia) I just can't/couldn't get Virtual World's exquisite ethnic faces to work on Dawn SE, I HAD to go back to Dawn SR1 to use them...so this new project is a good idea, then I can still use VW's gorgeous ethnic skins on SR2.... I'm also a bit hesitant to say, but um, er, uh...not quite seeing the difference in your "new' face features from the default Sr2 face...perhaps the morphs could be a bit more uh... I was going to say extreme, but that's not the right word... maybe just "more" is the right term...they seem too subtle to me...JUST my own opinion after looking back at VW's Asian and African facial features more... I was able to DIAL IN a reasonable African face on my existing SR2 Dawn for a picture I am working on currently...(has 4 Dawns in it, 3 being Sr2 before I "had" to go back to use SR1 for my Asian girl)...

Hi Lyne!

I just wanted to stop and say we need to figure out what the problem is with the Faces. Here's one of her Faces of Asia on DawnSE and it worked for me without issues.

Can you remember what failed when you tried to use them? Maybe we can resolve it for you.

FaceofAsiaDawnSE.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Very interesting Rob. The average Chinese Actress was very pretty! It would be very interesting to see the average Western actress :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It's a pity they don't show the face profiles, for then we would see the shallow Japanese nose bridge as I have described. It's a wider nose, but it has a rather shallow bridge. Many Japanese have the nose with an outwards curvy bridge. But again, that seems to be a general Asian feature, for I have seen that in China and Korea as well.

Last edited:

Zaarin

Brilliant
Very interesting Rob. The average Chinese Actress was very pretty! It would be very interesting to see the average Western actress :)
That would be Cantonese Chinese, since most Chinese actors are from Hong Kong, as I understand (or at least that's where most wuxia actors are from, Michelle Yeoh [via Malaysia], Donnie Yen, and Jackie Chan, for example).

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It did say the average they took it from was "Mainland, Taiwan, Hong Kong".

I'm assuming they have a program where they have a whole lot of headshots overlayed and it "pulls" the data together to get an average look. I just thought it would be interesting to see what that kind of average would look like using Hollywood actors :D

Harimau

Eager
That would be Cantonese Chinese, since most Chinese actors are from Hong Kong, as I understand (or at least that's where most wuxia actors are from, Michelle Yeoh [via Malaysia], Donnie Yen, and Jackie Chan, for example).
Gong Li, Zhang Ziyi, Fan Bingbing are from the mainland.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
What a great thread! It's interesting to read everyone's stories. The morphs look great, too! Love that one of Face of Asia on Dawn SE @Glitterati3D

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Hi Lyne!

I just wanted to stop and say we need to figure out what the problem is with the Faces. Here's one of her Faces of Asia on DawnSE and it worked for me without issues.

Can you remember what failed when you tried to use them? Maybe we can resolve it for you.

View attachment 28569

the face mesh distorted badly when I applied in of the African face morphs... don't know how else to describe it. I did not keep a screen cap, just figured it was me.

IT WAS ME!! I WASN'T INJECTING Tosca's HEAD "INJ_HeadMorphs.pz2"
NOW ALL OF THEM WORK!!! SORRY....DUH! :oops:

Last edited:

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
the face mesh distorted badly when I applied in of the African face morphs... don't know how else to describe it. I did not keep a screen cap, just figured it was me.

Oh, good! Just glad you got it working.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to inject one of Dawn's necessary morph packs to use a CA's morph inject. It happens to everyone every once in a while.

Glad to hear you figured it, and I can't wait to see what you come up with. :)