• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
A lot of good work in here. This is a WIP I'm doing for my ZBrush class when it resumes in September. We all got an envelope each with a caricature inside of famous people. I got Bruce Willis picture, art by Jon Moss. I would have preferred Donald Trump, but someone else got that one. I have most of it done, just the shirt and strap to do, and texturing of the face. Started out as a sphere, dynameshed and pulled it out, then sculpted. It's my first proper character sculpt. Here is where it's at now, with the reference picture in the background.

View attachment 27157

Great work Bonnie

Hornet3d

Wise
It saved going to court and it protected her identity but she hated the mind grab procedure. If they could take thoughts and memories from her head couldn't they also put thoughts and false memories in? The force field was there to protect her when she was at her most vulnerable but she was still connected up to this awful machine.

Mind Machine HW.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
It saved going to court and it protected her identity but she hated the mind grab procedure. If they could take thoughts and memories from her head couldn't they also put thoughts and false memories in? The force field was there to protect her when she was at her most vulnerable but she was still connected up to this awful machine.

View attachment 27180

Nice render, Hornet, but OUCH that looks painful!

quietrob

Extraordinary

View attachment 27180

No way. Rage against the machine. Especially the one attached to your mind, girl!

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I finally got the Superfly materials figured out for metal... but it's now the specular that is driving me crazy. All of the nodes I used to use for highlights in Firelfy, like Blinn and all, get blown out in Superfly. I have to figure this out, so I can replicate all my costumes and make materials for Superfly... *sigh*

Zaarin

Brilliant
No way. Rage against the machine. Especially the one attached to your mind, girl!
In the words of Javik, "I have a simple rule...if a machine can talk, kill it."

I finally got the Superfly materials figured out for metal... but it's now the specular that is driving me crazy. All of the nodes I used to use for highlights in Firelfy, like Blinn and all, get blown out in Superfly. I have to figure this out, so I can replicate all my costumes and make materials for Superfly... *sigh*
On the whole I've found it much easier to use the BDSFGlossy node than try to guess what a Firefly specular node will do in Superfly...

quietrob

Extraordinary
You might checking out this thread over at the SM forum. Plus the same people who helped me would probably help you. They have some real guru's hanging out there.

Quietrob's Firefly to Superfly issues

In my case it was some armor I got from Alfaseed, aka too many name changes to list. The bottom line is just reading that thread is a good place to start. Reading that helped me with some of the materials that you and I discussed.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Even the BDSFGlossy node was trying to make the material metal... I found out that I don't really need as many nodes plugged into Superfly as I did Firefly, and I am getting decent results, just not quite what I was expecting.

@quietrob: I'll check out that thread. I don't have an account over there yet. Maybe it's time I do.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I found out that I don't really need as many nodes plugged into Superfly as I did Firefly, and I am getting decent results, just not quite what I was expecting.
Right. Superfly "knows" how to make metals; it doesn't need -or want- all of the Firefly cheats. Superfly also does specular highlighting naturally, so you don't need all of the Firefly cheats for specular, either. Maybe the BDSF_glossy for this material, or some special effect jacked into Alternate_Specular on occasion.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Yeah, I am finding out a lot about the Superfly engine. I am trying to replicate my MOS suit texture for the M4 version I modeled. I am getting close to this:
MOS NEW SUIT.jpg

This is the old Firefly render from Poser 10. I am trying to replicate the specularity, but the old nodes are blowing it out.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
What I did was to just plug a inverted version of the bump map into the specular node, change the color to white and set the highlight size to .1

I am going to play with that setting and see what happens.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I also noticed that Superfly sees color a bit differently than Firefly does, so I have to play with that.

I haven't used anything but the Poser surface so far.

DO you know of any good tutorials on the Cycles surface?

And can anyone explain Volume to me? Where would I use that? I don't even know what it is. Or transmission. What is that?

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Here is one I a working on for months now, still not done but almost. It's a 1969 Jaguar XJ6. I seen some at the classic car show in Terenure last year and fell in love with them. I took a ton of pictures with my phone and decided I had to remake this car. All done in ZBrush, rendered with the Keyshot Bridge.

JagXJ6final.jpg

jag2.jpg

jag3.jpg

jag1.jpg

All the main body stuff is done, bar a couple of errors I need to fix (such as the left wing upper rear edge). And the wheel hubs and front grill badges are just labels at the mo, I'll do alphas for them soon. Also I still have to do the interior. It's all blocked out, I just need to sculpt details, paint and make the texture and bump maps. Same with the tyres, I need to do the threads and text and make the maps for them. And I forgot to do the antenna and the bases for the mirrors. All that will take me weeks I guess. I decided to make this car blue, not an accurate shade I know, but I like it.

Last edited: