• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

DanaTA

Distinguished
Okay...since Elynda hasn't seen this probably....this was the most complicated Nursoda character animation project I ever attempted. The bodies were of Doc Pitterbill, and the heads were of Nos, parented to four of Doc's bodies (and Doc's heads and the Nos bodies were made invisible), then they were all animated together, resulting in this:

View attachment 47303

Excellent!

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
I got Silo the same way, it was like a half price sale, so I pounced on it. While I was yet working, I'd do that, hoping that my skills would grow into the ability to use the software. Turned out to be a good investment, as all of Fugazi's modeling tutorials on Rendo are done in Silo, at least the one's I've viewed so far.

:bee:

I upgraded to the newest one, 64 bit. I have a lot of Fugazzi's tutorials from Renderosity. I worked on The Chest. Things don't look the same as his, even though I follow along. He has colors or shading on his stuff that he didn't show us how to do. And I've had trouble with the UV unwrapping of the hinges. They come out all wonky and useless. The sides come out as huge discs, and the rest of the hinge is just very weird. Looks nothing like in his video. I haven't had another go at it in a while.

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I got Silo the same way, it was like a half price sale, so I pounced on it. While I was yet working, I'd do that, hoping that my skills would grow into the ability to use the software. Turned out to be a good investment, as all of Fugazi's modeling tutorials on Rendo are done in Silo, at least the one's I've viewed so far.
Oh, I paid less than 1/2 price, which is why I jumped on it, and yes, Fugazzi's tutorials, especially the clothing tutorials, were ones I was interested in as well, because up until then I couldn't do any decent clothing in Blender.

skylab

Esteemed
I've been browsing free stuff until I get drowsy enough to sleep, and noticed your post. Know what you mean about things not turning out like it appears in the tutorial. I would hit snags trying to find the right thing to click...it's so easy in the teaching process to begin doing things, and making assumptions that the learner already knows either the terminology, or is familiar with the process....and that's where it leaves a beginner in the dark....and after about an hour of trying to find what they are talking about, one gets discouraged. I've learned over the years to be patient with myself, and just wait until I grow into the potential for the skill. Teaching was part of my job, before I retired, and I often had to deal with older employees who were not only computer-challenged, but computer-adversarial. After observing these tendencies, I learned that, when teaching them, I couldn't assume anything...and use step 1, step 2, step 3 with brief notations, since even reading would put them on the defensive. Unfortunately text messaging is ruining our capacity to read, speak, and write grammatically correct sentences (reading online news is proof that it's even spilling over into news and journalism...in the school where I attended, they wouldn't pass, or ever get beyond, sixth grade grammar). So, I think it's part of the overall communication-dysfunction of this generation. There's such emphasis on technical skills, and computer-centered learning, that the art of communicating has suffered, ironically in the social media generation. Finding a truly excellent tutorial is rare...consequently, we settle for what is just adequately done, and just muddle through. I can get the basics of modeling fairly well, but when it gets into issues of tri vs quad polygons, texture reversals, UV mapping, and finding errors...then I'm not so sure that I'm really cut out for all of that...seems like too many land mines, and a tremendous, time-consuming learning curve. If I was 20 years younger, my perspective would be different...there would be time to enjoy modeling once I had invested the time to learn it. So it has become one of the "back burner" priorities for me now. Good luck, if you choose to continuing the pursuit of modeling....I certainly admire those who have that ability.

skylab

Esteemed
Another nice freebie that's new in the 3D Models section of ShareCG...just set the glass transparency very high in the material room (I used 99% for firefly render).

AQUARIUM

superfly (left) and firefly (right)
fishtanks.jpg

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning Terre :) Yeah, haven't heard from Janet in awhile....I suspect she's either busy with her Nursoda character animation projects, or sometimes she takes a break and does some gaming. Then she'll reappear, ready for beta testing.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Janet :) There she is Terre :)

I've been messing with Doc Pitterbill this morning, trying to get control of his 5 o'clock shadow and stubbles...haha. I'm attaching the rough draft version of Lady Doc, an older woman, as a starter pose for anyone who is interested. I didn't do a complete runtime folder zip, so just stick the pose whenever you keep your Pitterbill stuff...and I didn't include the texture work...I'm no texture artist, but I can do a half way job just to get by :) Linda B, on the other hand, does do very nice texture work, so who knows, maybe she'll get inspired to try Lady Doc. Well, it's back to the barbershop...until there's not a hair on his chinny chin chin :)

DOC LADY.jpg

Attachments

• DOC LADY.zip
    208.6 KB · Views: 130

skylab

Esteemed
While working on this, I discovered that Nursoda has a Doc Woman in his texture folder...she has a toon appearance. I needed some of the aging characteristics, so I kept going with what I was working on. In the material room, look for DocHead Woman, DocBody Woman, and also remember to apply something for the lips. I found this to be the most work, where the face textures meet with the lips. It's still not right, but at least the shadow is reduced.

Nap time now....be back online later :sleep:

DOC-LADY--COMPLETE.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Had to check this quickly...adding hair, she almost looks like Bonnie Plunkett on the Mom show...haha. Just needs long, dark lashes. I was not shooting for that character...it just sort of jumped out at me :)

doc-hair.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Linda B :) How about this...30% off now, and an expansion that goes with it, also 30% off. I thought I had lost track of The Sorcerer in my account (used to get stuff like that just for the long robe), but it wasn't showing when I'd do a Pitterbill search for it....had to search sorcerer and then it showed. But the product is indeed unavailable for sale now. Sometimes emailing the creator on Rendo site mail is enough to get them to resubmit stuff...with Rendo's policies, once things go on clearance, the clock starts ticking if sales don't pick up on the item. That's what kept happening to Pappy with his stuff, and he finally gave up.

All the Rendo Pitterbill stuff is here.

:coding:

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
And yes, Terre, I've found that a power nap in the late afternoons helps, otherwise I play out in the evenings :)