• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Runtime DNA merges with DAZ 3D

Lianam

Eager
Wings3D sound like it could be a bit like sketchup. I am going to keep trying to work with Blender myself. It's just the UV mapping that gets me. I did play with hexagon a bit, but need to do some reading or videos first.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It takes time, but I actually like UV mapping with Blender. I don't recall off-hand if there's any tutorials in my list in the Software Discussion > Blender forum, but there might be. If not, check out YouTube, as there are tons of Blender related tutorials there.

Lianam

Eager
I do ok with texturing if I have a good uv map. I get frustrated otherwise. Probably why I jump up and down trying to get he uv mapping right in Blender. LOL

RobertEV

New-Bee
Hexagon is truly flaky for some people and fairly solid for others. I don't think anyone has ever figured out why.

One thing is the memory limitation in any 32 bit program and with a model that can climb fast, it seems to get flakier by the polygon/smoothing operation.

It was always solid for me when I used it, but I just happened to be one of the lucky ones.

One thing that always frustrated me though was if you make an error (like a manifold poly) Hexagon doesn't warn - it just crashes to the desktop. And, hidden "secrets" that aren't documented - like escaping from an extrude operation requires 2 "undos" or you end up with a bad model and crash.
If you happen to have an old copy of Hexagon 1.21, it is rock solid. And is my go-to prop modeling program.
Hexagon 2.0, when released was very flaky, mainly showing up when using the ZBrush like smoothing and morphing features. I already had ZBrush so that wasn't a big feature for me, personally.
2.1 was released around 30 days of the 2.0 release and (IMO) is the most stable of the newer Hex releases, won't work in Studio's GoHex, but that's no great loss.
Hex does have the "figure bloat problem" for models containing multiple objects, however, this is easily taken care of by selecting all objects and merging duplicate UV's.

I often wonder what might have happened if Daz had kept Thomas and the French crew around long enough for a second bug fix release.

Ghostman

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
If you happen to have an old copy of Hexagon 1.21, it is rock solid. And is my go-to prop modeling program.
Hexagon 2.0, when released was very flaky, mainly showing up when using the ZBrush like smoothing and morphing features. I already had ZBrush so that wasn't a big feature for me, personally.
2.1 was released around 30 days of the 2.0 release and (IMO) is the most stable of the newer Hex releases, won't work in Studio's GoHex, but that's no great loss.
Hex does have the "figure bloat problem" for models containing multiple objects, however, this is easily taken care of by selecting all objects and merging duplicate UV's.

I often wonder what might have happened if Daz had kept Thomas and the French crew around long enough for a second bug fix release.

I second this. 2.1 is the most stable version and the last update from Eovia. Even though I have Modo and C4d I still use it when doing something quick. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I happily use one of the 2.5 versions with very few problems but it does have some bugs. I find that if I save frequently and from time to time stop and close and reopen the program it works quite well. I haven't touched it in a long time mainly because I've been focussed on learning to use Zbrush fully. Also picked up Quixel which is another program to learn...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I use Large Address Aware with Bryce. Never thought to use it with Hexagon. Not sure that would fix it's flakiness on my laptop, but I suppose it's worth a try.

Terre

Renowned
Thanks for posting that link.
I wonder if that could be used on my husband's Win 7 Pro machine with some of the 32 bit programs he uses. Can't hurt to point it out to him and see.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
It might have something to do with the fact that a lot of the old deep freeze items have been released at Daz on sale at prices that reflect what they were at RDNA.

Darryl

Adventurous
I clicked the link but couldn't find the Poser or RDNA specific content. Didn't feel like searching through the site. Did I miss something?

eclark1894

Visionary
I did notice that DAZ has added a lot of the Deep Freeze items to the PC club list. I haven't been a Platinum Club member for years, so I'm only guessing, but I think they're keeping the prices around $2.50.