• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Runtime DNA merges with DAZ 3D

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And one day, it just all falls into place Lorraine.

The first time I attempted to learn Silo, I struggled and struggled and struggled, and just couldn't wrap my head around how to create the silly vase.

Something like a year later, I tried again, and this time some things started to make a bit of sense. Then I did a Fugazi tutorial (I think it was a swimsuit?) and lots more stuff fell into place. And finally, it all snapped together.

Of course, I threw the computer out the window a few times because of my frustrations with video tutorials. It's so much easier to reread a paragraph than it is to rewind, play, stop and swear, then rewind, then play, stop and swear again, rewind ... and so on. I just can't always follow what someone said, so I get REALLY, REALLY frustrated REALLY REALLY fast ... especially if there aren't subtitles. And if there are, then I'm reading and not seeing what they are clicking :p

Jeez. Give me written text with pictures any day!

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
And one day, it just all falls into place Lorraine.

The first time I attempted to learn Silo, I struggled and struggled and struggled, and just couldn't wrap my head around how to create the silly vase.

Something like a year later, I tried again, and this time some things started to make a bit of sense. Then I did a Fugazi tutorial (I think it was a swimsuit?) and lots more stuff fell into place. And finally, it all snapped together.

Of course, I threw the computer out the window a few times because of my frustrations with video tutorials. It's so much easier to reread a paragraph than it is to rewind, play, stop and swear, then rewind, then play, stop and swear again, rewind ... and so on. I just can't always follow what someone said, so I get REALLY, REALLY frustrated REALLY REALLY fast ... especially if there aren't subtitles. And if there are, then I'm reading and not seeing what they are clicking :p

Jeez. Give me written text with pictures any day!

I surely hope it falls into place, Satira. I'm def getting less able to learn new programs as quik as I used to. Bah, the old age blues.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Once you get comfortable with ZBrush, Silo will feel like a breeze to learn. ;)
I think you may be right there Miss B...

Lorraine, if you think Silo makes your eyes bleed, you should try Blender. No, just kidding.
No she's not...it makes my brain melt out of both ears and run howling away. lol
Fugazi has a ton of tutorials at Renderosity, and a good many of them are for Silo. Thanks to him, I was able to model my first full piece of clothing in Silo. Up 'til then, I was mostly doing props and environ/scenic stuff in Blender. Silo's good for clothing, and it's UI is nice and clean and easy to use.
Yep...they are and I have a few that I haven't done yet and also the hair one by Littlefox. I love her tutorials...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I like her tutorials too, except she uses Modo, so sometimes figuring out what she's referring to that's similar to an action in Silo or Blender, isn't that easy.

I was very happy when she said someone told her they did her dress/clothing tutorial in Blender. That made feel confident I could get it done . . . eventually. ;)

eclark1894

Visionary
I started with Wings3D, but moved over to Blender. Yes, Blender is very intimidating at first, but once you know where all your commands are you can get the hang of it rather. quickly. I started with just the basics. Come to think of it, one of the first things I did model was a rock.:geek:

eclark1894

Visionary
One thing though, beware of SPEED TUTORIALS. It's not really a tutorial and you really do have to have a little experience under your belt to even realize what they are doing.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah, a lot of Blender tuts I've noticed are moving so fast that I can't follow them - or else they assume you know x or y, when the truth is you've not even Q and R yet. :)

I'm with Satira on tuts... I prefer written and screens so I can reference at my own pace.

Miss B

CV-BEE
You want to try it in Hexagon...but it's well worth the work.
Hex and I don't get along. Not that it's a hard app to work in, it's not, I just think it doesn't work right on Win7 Pro. If I had tried it on my old WinXP Pro laptop, it probably wouldn't have been so flaky, but I can't work with software that isn't stable.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm not sure it was because it was a 32-bit app. I still have some 32-bit apps, such as Bryce, that work just fine on Win7 Pro.

skylab

Esteemed
Quick note for Britt...not to turn this into a tutorial thread, but to clarify my last post...that is, how to import a Poser scene into DS, and what to expect while doing so. Good luck with it :)

DS IMPORT INFO.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Have you tried running it in XP mode?
Honestly, I don't recall, though that's usually my first option when I have problems with 32-bit software.

The problem with Hex wasn't getting it to load, or to use any of its tools. The problem, for me at least, was it would start flickering very badly when I tried to do anything after it had been open for a while. There were a few nice tools in Hex, like Chamfer, that I liked, but I can't keep trying to get work done if the software is going to start flickering every time I try to do something.

Whether that's because it's a 32-bit app, I don't know, but I use other 32-bit apps that don't give me any problems.

Lianam

Eager
One thing though, beware of SPEED TUTORIALS. It's not really a tutorial and you really do have to have a little experience under your belt to even realize what they are doing.
I have watched a few of these with different things like drawing too. It's fun to watch would not recommend it for learning either. :)

Lianam

Eager
Honestly, I don't recall, though that's usually my first option when I have problems with 32-bit software.

The problem with Hex wasn't getting it to load, or to use any of its tools. The problem, for me at least, was it would start flickering very badly when I tried to do anything after it had been open for a while. There were a few nice tools in Hex, like Chamfer, that I liked, but I can't keep trying to get work done if the software is going to start flickering every time I try to do something.

Whether that's because it's a 32-bit app, I don't know, but I use other 32-bit apps that don't give me any problems.

I hope not. I got Hexagon too ( on sale) and have not tried it. I have been too busy with other things. I now have windows 10 home 64 bit. I wonder why it flickers?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hex and I don't get along. Not that it's a hard app to work in, it's not, I just think it doesn't work right on Win7 Pro. If I had tried it on my old WinXP Pro laptop, it probably wouldn't have been so flaky, but I can't work with software that isn't stable.
I've never had too many issues. The main thing to remember is to save frequently and there is an option(sorry can't remember the name) under file that will allow you to save sequential saves. I also find that if you're running it for a long period of time it is more likely to become unstable so I periodically used to save and restart every so often. I used to hate doing uv's in it though...these days I mainly work in Zbrush though...haven't opened hex in ages.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I found saving often didn't help because, when the screen gets wonky and goes sideways, there's not much you can do that can be saved. I didn't like UVs in Hex either, so usually exported and OBJ and did the UVs in Blender.