• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Runtime DNA merges with DAZ 3D

skylab

Esteemed
To some degree Britt is right...there's sometimes a lag time between pointing DS to the runtimes, and the runtimes finally all appearing in the Content Tab (which is different from the Smart Content Tab). It's a challenge finding stuff in the Content Tab, since it is similar to the old DS 1 versions in that you follow the tree to where the content is located (and I'm sure there's another way to view it, just happens to be where mine defaulted). But Britt, give it a chance to "find" your content...if you have large runtimes, it may take awhile for everything to show up. I know what Britt is saying, because for a long time the Content Tab was blank...then after some time, it did populate.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I don't know if this will help... I did a quick tutorial on adding directories to DS 4 here in Skylab's thread.

I've never had an issue finding content with this method. I do NOT use Smart Content, though... I've only ever worked via the Content Library pane.

And there is information here as well.

How to install and find your HiveWire 3D content in DAZ Studio

I started using DS in Version 4 (though I actually still have copies of all older versions), and have never ever have had problems with getting content to show up (nor in version 3 when I have used that for testing purposes)

Like Seliah, I do not use Smart Content but instead the Content Library. And since you were using earlier versions of DS that didn't have Smart Content, my guess is that something was being installed incorrectly.

If you organize your content within Windows Explorer or whatever Macs use, this should be very easy.

Please look at my post and Seliah's if you'd like to try again :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
To some degree Britt is right...there's sometimes a lag time between pointing DS to the runtimes, and the runtimes finally all appearing in the Content Tab (which is different from the Smart Content Tab).

Yes, there is always going to be a delay when you first add a new directory to it. I know when I first did it, I had a 10 year old Poser Runtime, and I do remember it taking quite a while before it fully populated. But, it did eventually populate.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I tried several versions of DS2 and DS3 my bought Poser content and my self created content would never be found by the program.

I have not tried DS4.

(I know 100's of people who lost $1,000's of dollars worth of content when DAZ started the content management system. For years they have been trying to make a program that would find content all to no avail.)
Hi Britt, Not sure if I've welcomed you to the Hive yet so Welcome! I've been using DS for many years now I think I started before DS1. Richard is correct when he says that all you have to do is point it to the content folder, but you do need to do that for DS and also for Poser formats. In the early DS's it was automatically there once you did that and it would be in the same locations as Poser for the Poser items.
In more recent versions (Since DS4) if you want to use categories(which I must admit I absolutely love and have spent a lot of time setting up my content in categories) it takes a bit more work initially but there are many ways to find content in DS.
This may be why for some people it's a bit confusing. Some of these ways are:
1: Look under Poser or DS File formats (No different to Poser if you use the tree view it still has the same categories)
2: Look under Products. If you know the name of a product then it's super easy to find stuff under this section. I used it recently to check if I had a Lilac plant by Lisa all of her products show up under L and as Lisa's products normally start with Lisa's Botanicals all nice and close together.
4:You can use the search feature to find something.
5:Smart Content (Not my favourite way to find stuff but many people swear by it)

I understand that using a program you're not familiar with can be confusing...I've have struggled to come to terms with Poser but I'm persevering as I want to be able to create stuff for both programs. Like you in DS I've struggled to find content in Poser but I'm getting better at it and eventually I may become more comfortable with it.

If at any time you would like help to give it another try please ask. I would be happy to help you and so would many others at this forum.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the like Seliah...I didn't see your posts until after posting. I knew someone would be willing to help and your tutorials and Alisa's are terrific!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've also been using DS for a long time, starting with DS 2, I believe, and I don't use Smart Content either. I always manually install my content, so I know exactly where it is. I just use DIM so I don't have to download every file one-at-a-time. DIM is so much less time consuming.

Britt

Admirable
Thanks for all the help.

I don't know if I'll give DS a try again or not; as I'm currently trying to learn Photoshop CC 2015; and trying to learn Responsive Site Designer to reconstitute my website (mainly so I can post free content and tutorials for all the programs I've ever used!)

Finding time to relearn basics; and learn where more advanced versions of programs hid stuff ain't easy!

skylab

Esteemed
Britt, that's the reason I responded to your post...I've been in that position recently of learning DS4, for the purpose of converting poses. I understood what you were saying, from experience, since it took a week to get all of my content to load...so the focus is the value of all the content that cannot be accessed, rather than the software itself. All I can say is, give it a try when you can take your time, and go step by step through the tutorials that have been suggested. Eventually DS4 did recognize my numerous Poser runtimes, and it is kinda neat, facing the challenge of learning something new. If you are a Poser user, you have the advantage in that you can set up scenes in Poser, then inport them to DS4...helps get you past the stage of being unable to locate things, until it all begins to make sense. When you find out that you can switch back and forth like this, it's not so aggravating to deal with :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for all the help.

I don't know if I'll give DS a try again or not; as I'm currently trying to learn Photoshop CC 2015; and trying to learn Responsive Site Designer to reconstitute my website (mainly so I can post free content and tutorials for all the programs I've ever used!)

Finding time to relearn basics; and learn where more advanced versions of programs hid stuff ain't easy!

So fully understand this...I'm in the process of trying to learn zbrush and although I have bought Silo haven't really played with it as I want to get Zbrush straight in my head first. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've attempted Poser and I have gotten so much further with it this time.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I've got Silo and I really need to get to grips with it. It's a bit like Poser though, it makes my eyes bleed and my brain swell and I need to go have a laydown.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Lorraine, if you think Silo makes your eyes bleed, you should try Blender. No, just kidding.

Fugazi has a ton of tutorials at Renderosity, and a good many of them are for Silo. Thanks to him, I was able to model my first full piece of clothing in Silo. Up 'til then, I was mostly doing props and environ/scenic stuff in Blender. Silo's good for clothing, and it's UI is nice and clean and easy to use.

Lorraine

I have tried Blender, Miss B, and it gave me a nervous breakdown ;) I haven't installed it since I upgraded the computer. I've got several of Fugazi's videos and I've even tried a little project...I made a rock. Does everyone make a rock to start with? And I have made a morph in a pillow. One day I will brave eye bleeding and brain swelling again.

Lorraine

Fugazi is a very good teacher and it helps he's got a nice voice too. Easy to listen to without being monotonous. I could devote a couple or three hours next week to getting to grips with the basics. ~adds this to round tuit~