• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser on borrowed time?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I'm not sure I agree on the price discussion. There are other marketplaces that charge vastly more for something that - just judging by the renders - is comparable to what we can buy at DAZ for a fraction of the cost.

So Stonemason charges $60 for a huge set of Urban Sprawl 3, to be had for half that on sale days. A similar scene is $500 on Turbosquid. A female character comparable to one of our Victoria HDs costs you $400 for the unrigged version, or twice as much for the rigged version. A simple polo shirt is $50.

And none of us shops at Turbosquid.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Blender bridges were discussed over at the DAZ Forums in the Blender ongoing thread. The problem with that is that Blender is constantly updating the software so the Bridge would have to be built in house and put in as part of the internal code so it all gets updated along with the program. Imagine some nice person building a bridge and then for every point upgrade being asked to update the bridge because the broke. That would be pretty off putting after a while.

Except for the Island I just bought for McGyver,s CatSki project, the stuff I'm buying at DAZ now is those old Tunimals. They weren't very interesting to me back when, but now they make me laugh. When I have a good collection of them then the scenes will start to happen. Stories most likely 'cause that's the way I think.

Semicharm

Eager
I'm not sure I agree on the price discussion. There are other marketplaces that charge vastly more for something that - just judging by the renders - is comparable to what we can buy at DAZ for a fraction of the cost.

So Stonemason charges $60 for a huge set of Urban Sprawl 3, to be had for half that on sale days. A similar scene is $500 on Turbosquid. A female character comparable to one of our Victoria HDs costs you $400 for the unrigged version, or twice as much for the rigged version. A simple polo shirt is $50 there.
That's comparing apples and oranges though. Turbo squid models are generally for redistribution in commercial products, where as the Daz prices you quoted are for renders only. You'd have to drop a cold $2,500 at Daz to get into commercial developer license club. Other vendors there are in the same ballpark.

Hornet3d

Wise

So Stonemason charges $60 for a huge set of Urban Sprawl 3, to be had for half that on sale days. A similar scene is $500 on Turbosquid. A female character comparable to one of our Victoria HDs costs you $400 for the unrigged version, or twice as much for the rigged version. A simple polo shirt is $50 there.

I don't think anyone suggested that $60 for the likes of Urban Sprawl 3 is not fair recompense for the work put it but how many can afford to spend that amount ? The sale price could be a different story, I purchased Urban Sprawl 2 on sale at $24.95. The full price then was $49.99 and that was in 2009 so inflation alone could justify the Urban Sprawl 3 price. With this in mind I could be very interested in Urban Sprawl 3 at the sale price accept but for the fact US2 works in Poser and US3 does not. I am not paying $30 for something I have to do a lot of work for it to be Poser compatible, particularly when I have US2 that already is.

It really is down the the vendor but if you cut out a large chunk of potential customers a reduction in profits has to be seen as a possible out come.

eclark1894

Visionary

DAZ and Poser are both marketed primarily towards the hobby market. So you're not going to get a hobbyiest to pay the same for a set as you would someone in an industry.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
And none of us shops at Turbosquid.
Oh I've purchased items over the years at Turbosquid, though most of what I got from them were freebies or under $10. Then again, I don't think you would find a large scene like the ones Stonemason and Jack create at a site like Turbosquid. Of course, I've never looked for anything there but small props, so I'm not totally sure of everything they offer.

James R.

Busy Bee
I don't think anyone suggested that $60 for the likes of Urban Sprawl 3 is not fair recompense for the work put it but how many can afford to spend that amount ? The sale price could be a different story, I purchased Urban Sprawl 2 on sale at $24.95. The full price then was $49.99 and that was in 2009 so inflation alone could justify the Urban Sprawl 3 price. With this in mind I could be very interested in Urban Sprawl 3 at the sale price accept but for the fact US2 works in Poser and US3 does not. I am not paying $30 for something I have to do a lot of work for it to be Poser compatible, particularly when I have US2 that already is.

It really is down the the vendor but if you cut out a large chunk of potential customers a reduction in profits has to be seen as a possible out come.

I used to buy all Stonemason's stuff as soon as it came out. Such detail and usefulness!

But...

a) he went Studio-only, which means I have to convert stuff, which is a pain unless I really need something he's made...

and b) his stuff is too expensive now.

James R.

Busy Bee
Oh I've purchased items over the years at Turbosquid, though most of what I got from them were freebies or under $10. Then again, I don't think you would find a large scene like the ones Stonemason and Jack create at a site like Turbosquid. Of course, I've never looked for anything there but small props, so I'm not totally sure of everything they offer.

Their stuff is stupid expensive, and despite what they may say, they sell things they... well, they probably shouldn't be selling. Intellectual property, etc.

But every once in a while I need some obscure part or piece that I can't currently find elsewhere or make myself, so I have to go there.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I used to buy all Stonemason's stuff as soon as it came out. Such detail and usefulness!

But...

a) he went Studio-only, which means I have to convert stuff, which is a pain unless I really need something he's made...

and b) his stuff is too expensive now.
Exactly why I stopped buying his, and Jack Tomalin's, products.

Semicharm

Eager
As for the direction things are heading in, I generally agree. Both SM and Daz have made, and continue to make a number of missteps that are hurting them rather than helping. Daz users considered posable toes and the like a revelation, SM figures already had those for almost a decade. Daz's has better rigging though. SM had to begrudgingly adopt weightmapped figures after dragging their feet for years. They also should contract 3rd party artists for their bundled figures, as their own lately seem half-baked and barely get any attention from SM or anyone else. Daz's Genesis releases seem more like a refresh or refinish than truly new. I'm guessing that DS5 keeps taking longer than planed, but expanding their current line that people have already barely invested in would be better than pushing yet another "new" Genesis over it and putting the older items on a fire sale. :/ Just look at the other Poser/DS marketplace. The their lineup for Daz figures is still mostly V4/M4 and Genesis 2.

But what would I know. I'm just a user who's been putzing around the Poserverse for over a decade.

Miss B

CV-BEE
But every once in a while I need some obscure part or piece that I can't currently find elsewhere or make myself, so I have to go there.
Very true. I think the most expensive thing I ever bought there was an aluminum attache case (and I think also the cash I placed in it) for a still life render I did for an old render challenge at RDNA years ago. I have it posted somewhere here on the forum, but don't recall exactly where. Probably in the I Just Wanted To Post An Image thread.

eclark1894

Visionary
Bliss bombs... Heh, heh... I forgot about those...
I've come across those a few times...
I just had to buy them because they sounded like something I'd name them when drunk.
I don't know if the packaging was the same back then, as all I remember is the name, but that chap on the bag just screams "Now with 40% more real coccaine!!"

I got my kids Cracker Jack caramel corn a while ago... Their prizes suck now... No more tiny compasses, magnifying glasses or small toys... Now it's just dumb tattoos and dumber paper based junk...
I suppose the "surprise" was still there... It was just how much the "surprise" sucked.

If you really want to ruin someone's life, buy them a bag of Kettle Corn...
That stuff is addictive... In no time they will weigh 500 pounds and be wearing nothing but modified car covers.

Mmmm Kettle Corn...

Darn! Forgot the toffee!
upload_2017-6-24_13-51-22.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
We have several shops in the area that makes caramel covered popcorn. All of them are superior to Cracker Jacks. One in particular is incredible. So, whenever a coworker stops there, he brings me back a 5lb bag of caramel popcorn.

Absolutely heavenly.
Oh now freshly made anything is always better than pre-packaged.

James R.

Busy Bee
I'm not. At worst, it simply means Poser will change ownership.
Fair enough. I do hope you're right, Earl.

It's just that when someone like Chris says he's deeply concerned, I'm deeply concerned. But none of us knows the future. Maybe if SM were to sell Poser to a company that will properly develop and support it and promote it will be the best thing ever to happen. Who knows.