• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser on borrowed time?

McGyver

Energetic
I'm not clear on what this "Duplicate" function is doing... Is it acting like a very simple instance tool, or is it just making full poly count copies of items?
I really don't care if I have to place everything in the scene... The goal is to reduce the processing burden for big model sets.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Smith-Micro rearranged their demo times-- I'll now be speaking 3-5pm on August 1

I have some more concrete information about Smith-Micro and Siggraph 2017 (Los Angeles). I'll be in their booth Tuesday, August 1st (the day the exhibition opens), demoing from 10:30am until 12:30pm.

The setup is not too formal, I'll be simply creating imagery with a runtime full of my products and showing off the features of Poser. Feel free to drop by, say hello and ask some questions.

All this should start appearing on their social media feeds towards the end of this week.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I'm not clear on what this "Duplicate" function is doing... Is it acting like a very simple instance tool, or is it just making full poly count copies of items?
I really don't care if I have to place everything in the scene... The goal is to reduce the processing burden for big model sets.

It makes a full poly duplicate McGyver. For example, if you duplicate Dawn, etc. it will produce a copy of Dawn plus whatever she's wearing, clothes, hair, pose and so on and add a second Dawn to the Figures list with a consecutive number. i.e. Dawn, Dawn 2 and so on. The duplicate appears in the same coordinates as the original, so select Dawn 2 and move it to see her. Choose a new pose and you've got instant twins! I used Duplicates in my image Air Spirit, in the I Just Wanted To Post An Image Thread to duplicate the Gyr Falcon. Just made two duplicates of the original, moved them and changed the pose. It's a function I use a lot for trees and plants. The only problem I have is deciding where to put the blasted things once I've done so!

Darryl

Adventurous
I always thought the duplicate command was a bug. Every time I wanted to dupe a prop it would copy the figure and all conformed/parented items at the same time. Irritating. I guess you have to unconform/unparent the item first in order to dupe a prop. Learn something new every day.

McGyver

Energetic
It makes a full poly duplicate McGyver. For example, if you duplicate Dawn, etc. it will produce a copy of Dawn plus whatever she's wearing, clothes, hair, pose and so on and add a second Dawn to the Figures list with a consecutive number. i.e. Dawn, Dawn 2 and so on. The duplicate appears in the same coordinates as the original, so select Dawn 2 and move it to see her. Choose a new pose and you've got instant twins! I used Duplicates in my image Air Spirit, in the I Just Wanted To Post An Image Thread to duplicate the Gyr Falcon. Just made two duplicates of the original, moved them and changed the pose. It's a function I use a lot for trees and plants. The only problem I have is deciding where to put the blasted things once I've done so!
Okay... I see now.
I was not so secretly hoping duplicate was like instancing...
That happened once with Blender...
I was trying to find some command like "group" or "weld" and for some reason on one of the Blender forums I was told that whatever the thing was, Blender didn't have it...
Then after a while someone else commented that it did, it just went by a different name and was slightly different.
Even though terminology is important, at the end of the day, I don't care what something is called as long as it's there.
And unfortunately in this case it is not.
Sigh...

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay... I see now.
I was not so secretly hoping duplicate was like instancing...
That happened once with Blender...
I was trying to find some command like "group" or "weld" and for some reason on one of the Blender forums I was told that whatever the thing was, Blender didn't have it...
Then after a while someone else commented that it did, it just went by a different name and was slightly different.
Even though terminology is important, at the end of the day, I don't care what something is called as long as it's there.
And unfortunately in this case it is not.
Sigh...
You know, Poser can handle a lot more figures than it used to. I remember some years back, someone ( I can't remember who) did a render with over 1000 Poser figures in it. Of course, it still depends on how much ram you have.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
You know, Poser can handle a lot more figures than it used to.

I wonder why they don't make their characters geometry with much higher density to take advantage of that. I mean straight out of the box without having to subD. Just give an option to decimate if we want less geometry.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
From a modelers prospective, it's always better to add than subtract from a model. That's why, in our 3D world SubD is the popular choice over Decimate. Decimating a model not only can alter the shape and appearance but also the bends in the rigging. Models with levels of SubD would probably the best choice for what you are suggesting. It would offer levels of control on what gets decimated (DAZ Studio supports this), but it's newer technology and the majority of models don't have it included.

In regards to lower polygon count models, I think many content providers realize a good portion of its base is hobbyists on limited incomes who can't afford the latest and greatest. Again, SubD can somewhat improve it later.

As a content producer, I'm seen keenly aware of memory limitations of my user base. In my habitat sets, I struggled to get macro camera quality plants without killing everyone's computer in the process. I realize that not everyone has a state of the art machine like mine which 32g of memory. For prospective, my first home computer came with 16k of memory-- now there's a programming challenge ;)