• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser on borrowed time?

Stezza

Dances with Bees
get's out the Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs and sits back with Carrara rendering in the background...

chomp chomp chomp... :grouphug:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
OMG Stezza! Where did you find those? I haven't seen them since I was a kind and they were one of my faves!
(Similar to Cracker Jack for those who don't know what Lolly gobble Bliss Bombs are)

(I've been hiding out with Pen eating her Tim Tams :p)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OMG Stezza! Where did you find those? I haven't seen them since I was a kind and they were one of my faves!
(Similar to Cracker Jack for those who don't know what Lolly gobble Bliss Bombs are)
Ohhhh, they're real???? I thought Stezza was kidding. I haven't had Cracker Jacks in decades. I used to love to get them, rather than popcorn, when I went to the movies.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
They're real Miss B!

From Wikki: Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs is an Australian snack food made by the Greens food company.
Originally released in the 1970s. it is caramelised, ready-to-eat popcorn, similar to the American Cracker Jack.
The concept was first floated by the head food technologist for Greens, Sir Shane McMaster, in the late 1960s, but the company delayed the product due to uncertainty of the market appeal. The popcorn is coated with toffee and rolled in crushed peanuts. Flavours include butterscotch and caramel.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhh, here in the States they are usually caramel, as I don't recall any with butterscotch. I always had such a sweet tooth, that I preferred them to plain popcorn.

Uh Oh, FritoLay makes 2 flavors, one is caramel and the other is chocolate. I'm a goner now.

Last edited:

quietrob

Extraordinary
Ohhhh, they're real???? I thought Stezza was kidding. I haven't had Cracker Jacks in decades. I used to love to get them, rather than popcorn, when I went to the movies.
I can't speak for Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs but in OUR day, Cracker Jack came with a prize in every package. Some of those prizes were pretty good! A working compass for instance. Now it's been years since I gave in to the cracker jack craze of the past the prize has dwindled down to an afterthought but every other Christmas or so, someone gives us one of those large tins with three different types of popcorn. The caramel popcorn always disappears first!

Stezza

Dances with Bees

(I've been hiding out with Pen eating her Tim Tams :p)

lol.... yep, get them from Woolies :flower00:

along with the freckles & cobbers :)

Last edited:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
We have several shops in the area that makes caramel covered popcorn. All of them are superior to Cracker Jacks. One in particular is incredible. So, whenever a coworker stops there, he brings me back a 5lb bag of caramel popcorn.

Absolutely heavenly.

McGyver

Energetic
Bliss bombs... Heh, heh... I forgot about those...
I've come across those a few times...
I just had to buy them because they sounded like something I'd name them when drunk.
I don't know if the packaging was the same back then, as all I remember is the name, but that chap on the bag just screams "Now with 40% more real coccaine!!"

I got my kids Cracker Jack caramel corn a while ago... Their prizes suck now... No more tiny compasses, magnifying glasses or small toys... Now it's just dumb tattoos and dumber paper based junk...
I suppose the "surprise" was still there... It was just how much the "surprise" sucked.

If you really want to ruin someone's life, buy them a bag of Kettle Corn...
That stuff is addictive... In no time they will weigh 500 pounds and be wearing nothing but modified car covers.

Mmmm Kettle Corn...

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
So how much has Poser sold for when it shifted from company to company?
How much do you think it will sell for this time?

James R.

Busy Bee
So I'd just like to add some of my thoughts to this initial topic, based on my experience and direct conversations that I've had.

I've spoken with Charles Taylor right after he was laid off at Smith Micro, along with their development team back before Thanksgiving of 2016.

I've had a lengthy phone conversation, followed up by emails with Larry Weinberg (the architect of Poser) at the beginning of this year.

I've talked directly by phone with a VP (won't mention his name here) at Smith Micro in January.

I've had various Skype meetings with others (won't mention their names either) at Smith Micro this year.

I mention Charles and Larry by name because they are no longer employed by Smith Micro.

I will say based on my conversations with these people that I'm deeply concerned about the future of Poser. I have more specific thoughts that I'll keep to myself, because I do wish the best for Poser, and want it to be successful. We support Poser and the large part of our customer base come from Poser users.

I believe that a course correction needs to take place with Poser in order for it to be successful and competitive. I spoke very directly to those currently involved with Poser about this. I even outlined my recipe for them to turn things around. They were very respectful and polite to what I had to say and share, based on my experience at DAZ, being their direct competitor. I'm not saying I'm the expert, but only shared my thoughts from my experience of being very successful at DAZ in growing a content business around a free software offering.

My feeling is that they should have reinvented themselves many, many years ago, but instead DAZ took the opportunity to drive hard to set a new software/content paradigm that Poser has not effectively reacted to.

It's evident to me at least, that those involved directly in the future of Poser have their backs against the wall, and some how need to pull out a miracle to turn things around before those that control its future decide it's a liability rather than an asset.

Thanks for posting this, Chris.

Though I appreciate the insight, I have to say that I find this insight very troubling.