• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
Yay! Fellow ex-graphic artists! Ahhh...I remember the days of my hands full of cuts from the x-acto knives (mostly from cutting tiny page numbers and making dummies) and burns from the hot wax machine LOL. I think I've done a little of everything from making plates to exposing film to markup to proofreading (in addition to the computer typesetting - Quark XPress). I guess it's called desktop publishing technically. When I left the industry we were just starting to do a sort of "hybrid" system where we would type all the stuff on the computer and then print it out so that we could cut it up and paste the stuff onto the layouts with hot wax that would then be photographed ;).

My first job was in paste up for the Orange County Register Newspaper.
Hot wax burns, check!
X-acto knife cuts, Check.
Also smoke breathing editors leaning over your shoulder @ deadline screaming- cut this, now cut this-- oops, put that back.. :D

theschell

Brilliant
Yay! Fellow ex-graphic artists! Ahhh...I remember the days of my hands full of cuts from the x-acto knives (mostly from cutting tiny page numbers and making dummies) and burns from the hot wax machine LOL. I think I've done a little of everything from making plates to exposing film to markup to proofreading (in addition to the computer typesetting - Quark XPress). I guess it's called desktop publishing technically. When I left the industry we were just starting to do a sort of "hybrid" system where we would type all the stuff on the computer and then print it out so that we could cut it up and paste the stuff onto the layouts with hot wax that would then be photographed ;).

Oh yes... X-acto cuts, paper cuts, burnt fingers... I remember those all too well... along with the copious cursing and swearing that went along with those and the editors tossing out hours of work and having to start over because the clients wanted to change something after having approved the existing layout. I learned very quickly that clients are fickle creatures, very capricious and often very flighty things prone to changes of mind on a whim! I learned also quite quickly to establish a fee up-front payment requirement, since as a free-lancer I ran into more than a few clients that wanted the work, but didn't want to pay up when it was done...

Last edited:

Terre

Renowned
Nope... just lotsa prairies cold in the winter for you! :)

I lived on a farm in the bush up between North Bay and Huntsville when I was a kid... moved down to Brantford Ontario when I was 13, then moved to Hamilton and subsequently Toronto for work... When I was retired for injuries I moved back to Hamilton where I am now... :)
Some of the stuff you described, like the size of your city and the term "lake effect" and I thought maybe Thunder Bay. I lived there for a while as a kid. Right now I'm in Saskatoon. No lake effect here, that's for sure, lol.
Sounds to me like both of you freeze your tails off in the winter. One gets lake effect and the other has nothing to stop the wind.
BBBrrrrrr......

theschell

Brilliant
Sounds to me like both of you freeze your tails off in the winter. One gets lake effect and the other has nothing to stop the wind.
BBBrrrrrr......

Through the winter we regularly hit -20c, before windchill effect, here on the Lakes and can get to -35c or so fairly often... and with the air being damp with moisture carried in off the water it cuts right through no matter how many layers you're wearing! I know out on the prairies here it can get well below that at times, specially if an arctic cold front is coming through... but at least we don't live up in Nunavut... Brrrrrr! LOL

Last edited:

Terre

Renowned
I've no experience with lake effect and haven't lived in a humid area since we left Japan shortly after I turned 7 but I've read quite a bit about such conditions. What I am familiar with is the near constant winds from living on the High Plains, the rolling, semi arid shelf that forms the western edge of the Great Plains for the last 30 years. The eastern most Rockies are around 100 miles to the west.

Riccardo

Adventurous
Solution: Put the lid down. That way everyone who uses it has to lift up something. ;)
Of course the reason my husband and I started doing that was actually different...... Late one Sunday evening in August there was a sound from outside the front door. (the door was open with the screen door locked). After the sound got repeated I went to look. A grey kitten looked up at me begging for help. He was starving. We were afraid that if he could get at the water in the toilet he might fall in and drown as he might not have the energy to get out. Poor kitty was so starved that the first three days he just ate, used the litter box and slept. He didn't start playing with the normal energy levels for a four month old until he'd been with us for a week. We've just kept on putting down the lid since then.
@Terre everything you say! So we have, gender equality :) and nothing can fall into the toilet by mistake.
AND...
If the lid is not closed when you flush, water and germs are thrusted throughout the bathroom. They can go everywhere. Even on your toothbrush...

theschell

Brilliant
I'm fairly comfortable till it gets below -10c... I spent most of my working career outside and over the years I got used to it, but I got frost-bite at least once a week in winter, and wound up with heat exhaustion more than once in summer, so now I don't deal well with extremes of heat or cold... 8-12 hours a day outside no matter the weather will do that to you after a while...

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I get really uncomfortable when its around 10c now I've been here for a long time :)
Its winter here and next week they said the expected temps are going to be between 30-35c - that's high even for other seasons!

theschell

Brilliant
I get really uncomfortable when its around 10c now I've been here for a long time :)
Its winter here and next week they said the expected temps are going to be between 30-35c - that's high even for other seasons!

Where I'm at 35c in the summer is fairly normal... humidity makes it a ton worse... we'll start at say 25c, but humidity will have it feeling closer to 35-37c on a bad day... and a few times the humidity has pushed us up well over 40c with severe heat warnings. In winter we'll drop to -35c... weather gets pretty extreme in Canada. BC is nicer, from what I understand from friends who've lived there...

Terre

Renowned
it's cold when it gets under 10c... stuff that minus 35 stuff!!!
10C seems to be about 50F? You wouldn't do well here, sir.
In Summer that is cool, in winter it is warm. Summer highs can get to 44C and winter lows usually get down to -18C at least once.

Terre

Renowned
Theschell's summer highs are actually more dangerous than mine. Although the temps are a bit lower the damp makes it much worse.

I have problems with both extremes too. Never quite had frostbite but came just one step shy of it and am very fine boned and thin skinned. I have also been one step short of sun stroke and had heat exhaustion several times so there's actually a quite narrow band of temps I'm comfortable in. The rest I just do my best to cope with.

theschell

Brilliant
I'm ok between -10c and about 25c... if it goes below or above that range I start to suffer. Humidity gets nasty quick in the summer... we've had days where we've actually been sitting at between 90 and 100% humidity which will rocket the effect of the heat up in a hurry!

Stezza

Dances with Bees
10C seems to be about 50F? You wouldn't do well here, sir.
In Summer that is cool, in winter it is warm. Summer highs can get to 44C and winter lows usually get down to -18C at least once.

No I wouldn't lol

it's 18c here right now in winter midday... and I had to put a jumper on :shineon:

icedragonart

Admirable
I wanted to like Carrara! I really, really did. But I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

However, now I'm older and ... wiser ?!? ... and have worked in programs like Silo and ZBrush, maybe Carrara wouldn't confuse me quite so much.

It's certainly a pretty blue!

Interestingly enough, now that I have a fairly good grasp of Studio, Carrara is much easier. The modelling room is fantastic although I watch a lot of you tube tutorials lol. Poser also makes a bit more sense simply because I at least understand what everything means.

icedragonart

Admirable
I'm like 15 miles south of the southern shore of Lake Erie, but I was up in your neck of the woods in July of 2016; my aunt and uncle who live in Mississippi came up so she could see Niagara Falls. We stayed on the US side, as it's now required to have a passport when crossing the border. :(

In what state? I'm about 20-25 miles south of Lake Erie