• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

I'm in Hamilton on Lake Ontario, and it's nice to know I'm not the only Crazy Canuck floating around the forums here and elsewhere. :)

Yep, that was my education in Graphic Design as well... everything done on a drafting board with a t-square, rulers, and an X-acto blade, and then (if needed) composited using photography. Computers were just starting to come into the main stream back then and I remember my course included 10 hours a week of learning Windows for Beginners back on a (then) state-of-the-art 386 system in Windows 3.1 when it still had to be started by DOS prompt. Long time ago that!

I'm like 15 miles south of the southern shore of Lake Erie, but I was up in your neck of the woods in July of 2016; my aunt and uncle who live in Mississippi came up so she could see Niagara Falls. We stayed on the US side, as it's now required to have a passport when crossing the border. :(

D

Deleted member 325

And lets not forget Drafting Paper, Colour Pencils, Water Markers, and Water Colour Paints for concept roughs and prototyping the designs before starting the rough draft on the cutting board... oh yes, and Onion Paper for tracing roughs for transfer for preliminary design:)
Don't forget carbon paper.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
ahhh the good old days when "cut & paste" was not virtual :p

Although when I started I'm glad it wasn't metal type! Although as an apprentice I had to make the nylon blocks for the letterpress machine.

Terre

Renowned
Yep... passport even just for day trips... been that way since shortly after 9/11... sadly
Sadly, yes.
And down here in the states bordering Mexico there's an additional problem. In MOST places you can walk into a Western Union agent and send money three ways: To a person who will pick it up at another WU agent, make a payment on a bill to a company the has set payment through WU, and send money to a bank account. In the SW border states only the first two can be done. It's part of the effort to reduce money being sent to the Mexican drug cartels. This morning a lady who moved down here but didn't set up an account at a local bank found that out the hard way when she needed to send money to her bank account. I've no idea what she ended up doing.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Rae, you worked in printing too? My first job was as a receptionist at a print shop. What a wacky place that was! Then worked at it in the photography room and paste up for several years after that. Almost got to run a letter press but my spelling skills weren't good enough then.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah, my apprenticeship was for Compositing (these days no one know's what that is unless they've been in the printing industry a while :p). These days the kids do a Graphic Design course and think they know everything (that's what I call myself but really I'm a Finished Artist but again no-one knows what that is). At least as an apprentice I got to go look at everything from reception (had to spend a week there), all of the art department and in the factory. I didn't have to set up the offset or letterpress printers but I got to run them for 5 mins to see what it was like. I also got to hand collate a lot of race programs but I wasn't allowed back on the binding machine because I had a lead foot and ended up with multiple staples and not just 2 :D (hey my excuse was I had a motorbike not a car!). Oh, and I couldn't use the guillotine either because my er chest was too big and kept on breaking the safety laser :p

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Rae, you worked in printing too?
My dad was the foreman of the Composing Room of a newspaper until he retired. He started as a copy boy, and worked his way up over a span of 42 years. Now-a-days you need a degree to hold that job, and everything's done in offset.

He used to have the typesetter do my name up in type every time my mom and I visited him. Of course, my mom would scold me if I was thinking of stamping it anywhere but on paper. She used to run around after me when I was real young, because I liked stamping my name on the walls. :p

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
. . .these days no one know's what that is unless they've been in the printing industry a while :p.
Actually I learned about compositing when I started playing in 2D graphics software decades ago. Now I sometimes use it when rendering large scenes with multi passes.

James R.

Busy Bee
I'm in Hamilton on Lake Ontario, and it's nice to know I'm not the only Crazy Canuck floating around the forums here and elsewhere. :)

Yep, that was my education in Graphic Design as well... everything done on a drafting board with a t-square, rulers, and an X-acto blade, and then (if needed) composited using photography. Computers were just starting to come into the main stream back then and I remember my course included 10 hours a week of learning Windows for Beginners back on a (then) state-of-the-art 386 system in Windows 3.1 when it still had to be started by DOS prompt. Long time ago that!

Some of the stuff you described, like the size of your city and the term "lake effect" and I thought maybe Thunder Bay. I lived there for a while as a kid. Right now I'm in Saskatoon. No lake effect here, that's for sure, lol.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Those old typesetters were really fast with their hands. The first place I worked had an 80 year old man that worked part time and used to work at the newspaper type setting from the old letter trays. He told me once that a good type setter could go faster than most typists!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
At the place I did my apprenticeship one of the bosses (who's father started the print shop) used to be the typesetter (hot metal) and he showed me once how they did it because they still had it all set up in a corner just outside the offices so they could show off some history. Its pretty impressive!

AllenArt

Eager
Yay! Fellow ex-graphic artists! Ahhh...I remember the days of my hands full of cuts from the x-acto knives (mostly from cutting tiny page numbers and making dummies) and burns from the hot wax machine LOL. I think I've done a little of everything from making plates to exposing film to markup to proofreading (in addition to the computer typesetting - Quark XPress). I guess it's called desktop publishing technically. When I left the industry we were just starting to do a sort of "hybrid" system where we would type all the stuff on the computer and then print it out so that we could cut it up and paste the stuff onto the layouts with hot wax that would then be photographed ;).

Last edited:

theschell

Brilliant
Some of the stuff you described, like the size of your city and the term "lake effect" and I thought maybe Thunder Bay. I lived there for a while as a kid. Right now I'm in Saskatoon. No lake effect here, that's for sure, lol.

Nope... just lotsa prairies cold in the winter for you! :)

I lived on a farm in the bush up between North Bay and Huntsville when I was a kid... moved down to Brantford Ontario when I was 13, then moved to Hamilton and subsequently Toronto for work... When I was retired for injuries I moved back to Hamilton where I am now... :)

theschell

Brilliant
Sadly, yes.
And down here in the states bordering Mexico there's an additional problem. In MOST places you can walk into a Western Union agent and send money three ways: To a person who will pick it up at another WU agent, make a payment on a bill to a company the has set payment through WU, and send money to a bank account. In the SW border states only the first two can be done. It's part of the effort to reduce money being sent to the Mexican drug cartels. This morning a lady who moved down here but didn't set up an account at a local bank found that out the hard way when she needed to send money to her bank account. I've no idea what she ended up doing.

Yeah, that would be a PITA if you aren't used to having to deal with it!