• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

kinnieM

New-Bee
I'm still reading through all the pages of this thread and can only say how very disappointed in DAZ I am over how everything transpired.
And that I absolutely LOVE the Hivewire Kitty Cat and Kitten!

@theschell I am a fellow Canuck! From the oldest and most easterly city in North America actually. And for the biggest shocker of all...... it was actually beautiful and warm out today!
"How's ya at?" lol

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hi, kinnieM & welcome to the Hive!

Round here, the closer places in Canada have similar weather to the US Pacific NorthWet. The 2 seasons of Rain and summer :p

theschell

Brilliant
I'm still reading through all the pages of this thread and can only say how very disappointed in DAZ I am over how everything transpired.

@theschell I am a fellow Canuck! From the oldest and most easterly city in North America actually. And for the biggest shocker of all...... it was actually beautiful and warm out today!
"How's ya at?" lol

Hi there Kinnie! Yep, but warm is to be expected during the Road Removal season... lol

My dad is down east outside of Halifax somewhere near Truro NS, sadly I've never had the chance to get out east, but my dad tells me there is beautiful country out that way. I'm in Steel Town ON and it was nice today here too, not as muggy as it had been... but it's been getting a bit chilly at night, last night I even had to turn off my A/C...

Last edited:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Kinnie? Are you from St. John's. If so, that is SO cool. Though my heart is lost to the Pacific Northwest ... I absolutely love that area.

I was so sad when I finished watching the last episode of Republic of Doyle. I probably spent more time watching the scenery and looking up places featured in the series than I did in following the plot.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I always wanted to travel to western Canada, but only got to Montreal and Quebec one vacation, and Toronto another. Oh well.

theschell

Brilliant
I've never been out west either, my mom and dad took a trip out to BC and the Rockies when I was a kid, but they left my brother and I with relatives while they took their trip, they did bring back some nice photos though. We used to live in northern Ontario up near North Bay, but we moved down to a small city near Toronto when I was 13. I miss being up north, the colours in the fall out in the bush were spectacular! I'm in Hamilton now... but because of the pollution you just don't see the vivid colours in the fall like they are up north...

Last edited:

kinnieM

New-Bee
Yes, I am from St. John's! theschell, your comment about seeing your shadow and basically hibernating in a cave so made me laugh as it feels so true.

And you have to understand that for us in this city we normally only have about one month of continuous hot temps and then its all downhill from there, lol.

I'm so glad that people are watching/watched the shows that have been filmed here and appreciating the beauty that can be found in Newfoundland.

I would love to visit various places in Canada especially out West but being on a island its a lot harder to get off it due to costs. :)
In fact for me it would be more ideal to fly across the pond (The Atlantic Ocean) than across country, lol.

Last edited:

theschell

Brilliant
We get about 3 months of good warm weather here... wet as heck in spring and fall (Lake effect storms are so much fun)... and cold as heck in winter (worse for you I'd imagine?). We're right on the Great Lakes here (a half hour walk for me), and in the winter the wind coming in off the water is damp and cold, and with the dampness it doesn't matter how you dress it seeps through to the bone... so I know about hibernating... LOL! ;)

My dad flew down from Halifax back in the spring and stayed visiting relatives for a few weeks... was a fairly expensive trip he was telling me...

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
BTW Kimmie, if I haven't welcomed you to the HiveWire forums . . . Welcome!! :)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Oh, I'd love to visit Newfoundland! Grew up on the US East coast and have traveled cross part of Canada en route to going back there to visit, but never was farther north than the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick, and that was when I was little.

Terre

Renowned

"How's ya at?" lol
That comment about "oldest" got me curious.
I mostly grew up in or near an American city that is 70 years older than the USA having been founded in 1706. The state capitol is the oldest continuously used capitol in the Continental US having been founded in 1601 by the Spanish as the (new) capital of New Spain. When it comes to continuously used cities in the continental US only St Augustine FL is older in fact. Having come across several incorrect claims by fellow Yanks over the years about "oldest capital" and such I decided to see what you were talking about and found a cool list: List of cities in the Americas by year of foundation - Wikipedia They even have the Pueblos here in New Mexico and other sites.
As far as where I am now, this place is young. Founded in 1901. Originally near a watering hole (long since dry) that had been used by Billy the Kid. When the rails came through the town packed up and moved 20 miles north to be beside the tracks.

As far as visiting Canada, that only happened once and I was 2. I do actually have two memories of that time. Flat land covered by pine forests and a log cabin in said forest with people gathered in front of it. We were visiting relatives of my maternal grandmother.

Last edited:

Hornet3d

Wise
I'd drop Poser, DS and Hexagon if I could find a single software that does what all 3 of them together do as easily as they do it... but I haven't found that software yet. Can't get my head around Blender (not a numbers or shortcut key remembering type guy), Couldn't get my head into the tricks of 3DS Max, haven't tried Lightwave (can't afford it any more than I can afford any other high-cost product), and just haven't been able to wrap my brain (tiny and pea-sized as it is) around any of the other suites I've tinkered with. I'm self-taught, and when I was last in school Windows was a DOS-prompt program and Graphic Design had nothing to do with computers.

I found that Carrara was a good attempt at being an all rounder, fir me at least, sadly it potential was never fully exploited.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I wanted to like Carrara! I really, really did. But I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

However, now I'm older and ... wiser ?!? ... and have worked in programs like Silo and ZBrush, maybe Carrara wouldn't confuse me quite so much.

It's certainly a pretty blue!

Daio

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
In my case, I still don't understand DS lighting and cameras. Nor can I cope with the "document workspace." I don't consider it a failure of DS, just that the two of us are incompatible.
:
Yes, lighting and cameras in DS are completely incomprehensible to me too. I've been using Poser since version 1 so the basics at least are familiar and comfortable. I can open it up and make art in the limited time I have to do art. I could learn DS but my free time is so limited these days that I just can't justify learning more than being able to convert and tweak poses in it. Which, as you indicated, is not in any a condemnation of the software.

prixat

Inspired
<snip>Having said all that, I am not married to EITHER piece of software. If a better alternative than both of them arrived tomorrow I'd be on board. I'm not super crazy about the companies that own either software, even if I loved the software that they each produced. Kind of like, I'm not super crazy about my ex husband but I love our kids kind of thing ;).

...so the companies are kind of like your husbands and the programs are kind of like your kids. ...but if a better kid came along... :roflmao:

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
I am grateful that both softwares exist. I don't have to choose between them. I have a love/hate relationship with both of them, too. LOL I use both about equally as there are some things that are easier for me in one than the other, and vice versa. I would love some new tools to simplify some of the things that have neverending workarounds.

I look forward to a long and prosperous life for both software studios because what _I_ love to do most depends on the companies that own them doing well. I think that is why it is so frustrating to not be heard by those who are calling the shots - on BOTH sides!

In order to continue to do what we love to do, we NEED you to do well pushing your companies forward. We are depending on you to make smart, informed decisions. AND being informed means listening when your customers as well as the artists who create content to support your app share their frustrations with you.

We aren't crazy, ego-centric, artists throwing a hissy, primadonna fit. We are people who have found ways to do what we love to do AND support our families in the process. The term "starving artist" could be replaced with "thriving artist" if the companies would really listen to what the artists and customers actually want and need.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Enjoy creating today!

:beehive: