• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes I was very fortunate. We moved to South Burlington, Vermont when I was 12 which was a very wealthy community (we lived a bit on the wrong side of town if you know what I mean, coz we sure weren't rich:) but I did get to take advantage of this very wealthy and progressive public school system. The guidance counselors there were great and very helpful, regardless of what career one wanted to pursue. This was in the 70s. There was a 4 city communal vocational training program there then for many different fields. Also we were beyond gifted with a fabulous artist/ art teacher Jean Carlson Masseau at SBHS who was so instrumental in my growth as artist. Yes I got a lot of very luck breaks in my life for which I am very grateful.

theschell

Brilliant
Carrara is tempting, but I don't and won't shop at DAZ, I had them close my account there a couple of months back as I just couldn't justify keeping it open. If I could get it anywhere else, I'd be seriously tempted to give it a try... :)

I graduated High School in 91-92, and sadly what arts programs my school had were all fine arts oriented. We had computers courses, but the school only had Unysis Icom systems then and the computers classes were all programming classes (visual basic, C++, and DOS coding). I had to wait for College to learn Graphic Design, and the 386 systems had just come on the market but not many people knew how to use them, or Windows for that matter. I remember all the excitement when a program called Delux Paint came out, it was one of the first paint apps to have full 256 colour pallet. A friend of mine was taking a University course and his University gave each student a 386 system with Delux Paint as part of their course package...

Last edited:

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I am so envious! We didn't have anything like that in high school. Unless you consider shop kinda similar. Not that girls could take shop though. My elective choices the last semester of my senior year were ... home ec (/shudder) and typing (/shudder). That was it. Since I had to take two electives, that's what I took. And hated every minute of both classes.

Going into high school, I wanted to be an Oceanographer. Until I took biology (killing a frog devastated me) and realized I'd have to take chemistry. Oh the horror stories I heard about chemistry. I also had concerns about things like sharks and blood in the water. But this was the 60s, and things like that were never discussed in any career information. Being an only daughter, it also wasn't discussed at home, and with a male guidance counselor ... I was going to ask HIM about it?!?

So ... then maybe ... a teacher? But again, being female, my guidance counselor put absolutely no effort in encouraging me to go to college or in helping me find scholarships. While my year younger brother got all kinds of help and was able to attend a private and expensive college because of scholarships.

/WHINE!

Now ... besides Oceanography, I also loved art. But ... that wasn't something that was ever encouraged by anyone, and art wasn't really treated as anything but a filler in school. It didn't help either that I didn't want to go into commercial art, but wanted to do fine art. Oh, an apprenticeship would have been divine!

I absolutely believe vocational training programs ... as well as apprenticeships are essential. Most jobs/careers out there are better suited to students going through an vocational / apprenticeship program rather than a four (or more) year degree. We'd have far fewer students graduating with $30,000+ debt. How do you even start "adult" life when you already owe $30,000?!?
Took vocational training in HS which back then was considered "retard school"printing it was and where I learned photography. Went onto college despite no being college material by their admissions office as a Specisl Student for a year to prove them wrong and during which time I'd did bringing in grades of A's and B's before finally getting fully matriculated in the Photo Illistration program at RIT.
Graduated and went to Italy for 6 months to find work in Genoa and Milan. Got close to making it work but a terrible ulcer and a few terrible financial gaffs forced me to return home. There tried starting my studio business during which time I got an opportunity to work as ship photographer on a cruise ship out of NY to West Indies for a year. Foolishly glamor made me drop everything and I ran as fast as I could off track.
When the contract expired returned home with big eyes and lots of fun experiences and empty pockets...again!
After struggling to,keep my photo business afloat returned to RIT to get,my MFA degree in Graphic Design majoring in Publication design. While in attendance taking both graduate and under graduate courses to get up to,speed comtinued working my studio doing training videos, video catalogs, tv commercials, billboard designs and print ad work as well as some limited photographic works for annual reports and hair salons and model agencies.
Too many years of never having two nickels to rub together I gave up....moved to Virginia and got a chump change job in a retail environment doing graphics and digital photo restoration work. This was where I started investing heavily and used the insurance benefits to finally get my health back.
They kept me hostage at minimum wage for 8 years. When I finally got them to finally recognize my worth enough t bring y salary put to 10$/hour I hurt my back twice within one year a and they fired me.
After a year of being out of,work got another better paying job for a grande format printing company as a digital Pre-press tech for 6 years where I also did design work for McDonalds, Burger King, Verizon, Amtrak and other corporate clients of the shop....on the hush hush due to conflict of interests with their staple design/ad agencie client base.

The economy crashed and of course being the highest paid schmuck in the company and senior tech, I was "sadly" let go.
Been out of work since.
Poser has kept me sane doing creative work where my muse gave up on me for all other disciplines. Now even that is gone with a computer crash in May which I have not been able to come back from. 3 deaths is in the family didn't help with the break down of whatever brain after I had left. Can no longer wrap my head around learning anything anymore so I quit trying
No longer an artist I am an old picture thief looking hungrily at the works of the rest of the creative world pining sadly for lost muse.

I learned an adage when younger which has finally come to roost:
"We know where we come from but have no idea where we wind up".
Would have never thought I would someday wind up here.
Cherish your creative gifts while in your posession!

Last edited:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I also intended to reply ages ago to what Esha said.

I've always thought of Esha as creating Poser content, though I'm sure she also did DS content. Just that since I don't use DS, I'd not notice those products. I mean ... oh my gosh. The only reason I know as much as I do about the cloth room is because of Esha's fabulous Master Class tutorial. I always ... ALWAYS recommend it to anyone struggling with the Poser cloth room or who wants to know more about it.

There are only a handful of DAZ PAs I have issues with. And it's not because they are DAZ PAs, but because of their actions on the DAZ, RDNA, and Renderosity forums in respect to Poser, HiveWire, and Dawn. So ... I absolutely can separate the person from the brokerage.

I think it's very important for people to express their thoughts and opinions ... whether they agree with me or not. Most of my coworkers share my political views ... or go beyond them. Which actually is rather odd considering I'm a Bleeding Heart Liberal from the West Coast.

The coworker I work most with can be a bit on the rabid side, and his views are often in contrast to mine. But know what? We get along great. He respects my opinions, and I respect his. And we absolutely do not avoid politics ... at all. Occasionally, something he believes turns out to be false (as in a certain politician demanding a bigger, faster plane which wasn't the case), but he's open to correction. And know what? I'm also open to correction if I believe something that turns out to be false. There is just SO much false and biased information out there, that all of us can fall ... victim ... to misinformation. It helps when someone is able to provide reliable information that refutes those lies / misconceptions.

That doesn't just apply to politics. It also applies to things that have nothing to do with politics. Like ... a belief the little old lady who lives in the rundown house on the end of the block is a witch who eats children. I think any number of us have terrifying old woman in our childhood.

So ... please. Don't stay in the shadows because you believe your views or opinions aren't welcome. They might not be to some of us. But they might be to many, many others ... regardless of our "side."

Is it that unreasonable to believe open and rational discussion can bring down the walls between sides? Or ... at least lessen the divide?

theschell

Brilliant
If I think back on it, my graduating class from College was probably one of the last to learn Graphic Design the old school way, by the time we got through the course, computers were taking over and most of what they'd just finished teaching us was outdated. The funny part is, I never went into computers after High School but here I am doing 3D work in a computer, and the friend that went to University for computers became a mining engineer instead...

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That was great Laurie! I think a few years later, things might have been different at my school. But maybe not. Even though Springfield is across the river from Eugene (home of the University of Oregon), things tended to be a bit slower at progressive things than over in Eugene. Or ... at least that was the perception. Certainly, the Springfield News was far more conservative than the Eugene Register Guard. But then the Oregonian was also rather conservative compared to the Eugene Register Guard.

Springfield was also considered to be the wrong side of "town," where ritz crackers and cheese whiz were supposedly what was served at the city council meetings, and if Springfield residents had the energy for activities after working long shifts in the lumber mills, they went bowling. Never mind that many people who lived in Springfield worked in Eugene (or in white collar or university/college jobs), and Eugene actually had more lumber mills and bowling alleys than Springfield.

Oregon is actually rather representative of the entire country, where the metropolitan areas in the western part of the state is liberal and progressive, while the majority of the state (geographic wise) is conservative and traditional.

I actually ended up with some very lucky breaks in my life too. They just happened to be in the technical field rather than art field! Still boggles my mind to this day that my career has been in technology. I so do not consider myself a techie ... atall, atall!

Yes I was very fortunate. We moved to South Burlington, Vermont when I was 12 which was a very wealthy community (we lived a bit on the wrong side of town if you know what I mean, coz we sure weren't rich:) but I did get to take advantage of this very wealthy and progressive public school system. The guidance counselors there were great and very helpful, regardless of what career one wanted to pursue. This was in the 70s. There was a 4 city communal vocational training program there then for many different fields. Also we were beyond gifted with a fabulous artist/ art teacher Jean Carlson Masseau at SBHS who was so instrumental in my growth as artist. Yes I got a lot of very luck breaks in my life for which I am very grateful.

theschell

Brilliant
Yep. I'm pretty sure my tail is long gone because of the cold. ;) -35C in the middle of winter here isn't unusual, at least for a few weeks at a time...with a hard wind we can get down to below -50C. More typical would be -20C with the windchill factor making it -25C. Funny thing is, depending on what I'm doing, I don't really notice it. If I'm stuck standing in the icy -25C wind filling up my car with gas, I notice it and complain about it. But going for a walk by the river on a sunny -25C January day is beautiful.

-50 Yikes! I found that when I was working if it was a dry cold then -25 was cold but tolerable, but if it was damp or windy it was just wicked to be out in and it depended a lot on whether you were sheltered from the air currents or not. Of course there's also a big difference between being out for a walk for an hour in it, and having to spend a 12 hour shift outside. The worst for me was having to stand still in -20 to -30 weather on a windy evening to do bag searches... an hour not being able to move to warm up a bit and out in a wide open space where the wind would whip straight through... :)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I guess I'll talk about art career too. I've been drawing since I could hold a pencil. I started oil painting professionally in the high school, selling on the local art society circuits.

Out of HS, I got two scholarships; one to Art Center College of Design and one to the Cal-State University system. I went to Art Center for a semester, hated it (at that time Art Center was not really fine arts oriented- more commercial and design), so I went to Cal-State Northridge. During this time, I became interested in scenic design and earned a little extra money working for local playhouses (painting drops and sets). I graduated 4 years later with a BFA.

Out of school, I briefly joined the scenic artist's union (10 days) before they went on a year-long strike. Not into starving, I went to a steady day job (as a Termite Inspector) and on the evenings and weekends, painted and worked writing programs on one of the first home computers (the TI-99/4a). Within a few years, I became one of the leading TI-99 software authors primarily writing educational, music and game software and producing clip art. Today, I'm listed in the TI-99 Hall of Fame.

In the early 1990's, the TI-99 world began to fade so I moved back towards fine art and gained representation at one of Los Angeles's oldest art galleries. In the late 1990's I rediscovered 2D and 3D art with Fractal Design's Painter and Poser. My "professional" 3D career started at Zygote, move briefly to Lyne's VIP and Renderosity, then to DAZ and eventually Hivewire. During the DAZ years, I finally quit my Termite job, and became a full-time artist, making my revenue through 3D products, as well as freelance art jobs, fine art sales, photography, merchandising and speaking gigs.

Last edited:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Awesome Ken!

I learned to program on the Tandy Color Computer (TRS-80). My mom used one I wrote for her in her Escrow Closing business for FAR too many years!

It did lead to my first office job though when I was hired to convert documents for a consulting engineering firm from some other word processing system to WordPerfect ... mostly because I wasn't afraid of computers.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
When I moved from Boise, ID to NYC to live with my brother at 15, it was too late in the year to go to a private school so I ended up in an all girls public High School that happened to have an amazing art program, it was considered something you could actually major in there. So I went for that as I loved to draw. Won a whole lot of city wide contests, I knew I had found my home. Ended up finishing college in my 30s but in Social Work. Did that for a few years and found it far too emotional - man I would come home from work and be ready to drop - so stopping doing that and started doing web sites. I started using Poser that day that version 5 came out. And here I am now!

This thread has meandered so far from topic but it's great!

quietrob

Extraordinary
Continuing the Great Digression
Army Brat. Left home and traveled to the East Coast (I'm a Californian), Okinawa, Berlin and back to the USA from Sacto to LA.

I joined the Army as an intercept systems repairman and after a series of misadventures, settled down to get back to my love of drawing and comics while stationed on Okinawa. I built my own makeshift drawing board at the base woodshop, tilted at just the right angle so I could place it on my desk and draw. After a hard day of helping to keep the world safe, I came back to find my beloved drawing table stolen! I asked next door and my next door roombug told me he stole it. He invited me in and showed where he had corrected all of my drawing errors, finished an extra page from my script and hoped I wasn't too upset. I told him, "Are you kidding?" and I became his student. This guy could just flat out draw and he loved comics as well! He taught me quite a bit before he was shipped out. It was sad losing my mentor (and surrogate big brother). Returned to the states, got jobs in Electronics when computers would fill a room with it's whopping 16K of memory. Bad women, my choices and years later I was alone and thought of how I loved drawing and writing. I set out to make one story and found drawing on the floor or table was a bit much. I needed help with anatomy all over again. I picked up something called Poser Figure Artist, moved to Poser 7 and now am creating my masterpiece with Poser Pro 11. Renderosity did a small piece on my comic art using poser. I'm certain they deleted it in shame.

Never let anything, not even time itself stop you from creating.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Chalk up another on the ex-Graphics Designer list. Although not precisely ex, and never officially a Graphics Designer. I just did the work. Even though they called me a Cartograher.

Basically self taught. Only started taking art classes in '99 when I decided that I needed to learn Photoshop.
Well. To be strictly accurate; I took a few of the standard art classes in High School, none of which I was particularly good at, and which didn't teach me anything that I wanted to use. Like Satira, I was unable to take anything like a shop class (which basic drafting counted as) since those were only open to boys.
Don't remember getting any vocational counseling at any point in school. I was on the college prep track, so they evidently felt it wasn't their problem.

But, yeah. Took a semester of basic drafting in a local High School's night course when I was in my early 20s, which qualified me to take a Civil Service test for Assistant Draftsman, and started working at Griffith Observatory. Mainly doing star maps, illustrations, posters, and marquees for the planetarium shows. Did a lot of graphics for the radio astronomy alcove and a few other displays in the Museum there. I doubt that any of it is still in use since the major remodel a few years back.

And, frankly, it doesn't surprise me a bit to see that rather a lot of the members here came into 3D from that direction. If one medium doesn't work for what you want to do, you try another. And for ease of setup and cleanup, and conservation of materials, *anything* digital beats doing it in analog.

quietrob

Extraordinary
@JOdel That is an amazing story. I live Santa Ana so your observatory is MY observatory. I can only imagine that going to work each day was a joy!

@Satira Capriccio Methinks I found a fellow baby boomer!

@CWRW I agree. These life stories are just the best!! A lot of 2D artists here as well as 3D artists! And Seedoubleya, thanks for the awesome horse textures!

James R.

Busy Bee
M
-50 Yikes! I found that when I was working if it was a dry cold then -25 was cold but tolerable, but if it was damp or windy it was just wicked to be out in and it depended a lot on whether you were sheltered from the air currents or not. Of course there's also a big difference between being out for a walk for an hour in it, and having to spend a 12 hour shift outside. The worst for me was having to stand still in -20 to -30 weather on a windy evening to do bag searches... an hour not being able to move to warm up a bit and out in a wide open space where the wind would whip straight through... :)

It's very difficult for me to explain what the cold is like in parts of Canada to people who don't live here. It's almost incomprehensibly cold, sometimes.

This was January 11th this year. It was BRUTAL. The prairie wind is merciless...but if you notice, it wasn't even that strong.

And yes... every winter there comes a day where I ask myself why I live in a place where the weather will try to kill me if given the chance. Lol

IMG_3763.JPG

James R.

Busy Bee
It's really awesome reading all these life stories.

My tenure in graphic arts didn't last long, as the business folded. Funny how that can happen when the owner is stealing from the company and not paying bills...or employees. :mad: