• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
That is some serious BRRRR James R! I grew up in Vermont and that was plenty cold and snowy for me:) Not that Colorado doesn't have it's moments too but NO comparison to Canada! (Unless of course one lives more in the mountains here:)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Fortunately, I've never lived further North than Portland or Nantucket. And ... Nantucket doesn't count as North since it's climate is tempered by being surrounded by ocean.

James R.

Busy Bee
That is some serious BRRRR James R! I grew up in Vermont and that was plenty cold and snowy for me:) Not that Colorado doesn't have it's moments too but NO comparison to Canada! (Unless of course one lives more in the mountains here:)

I've never been to Vermont or Colorado...but I've seen pictures. :D Actually before I moved home to Saskatchewan I lived in the province of Alberta for just over a decade. The Rockies were right next door (okay, a couple hours away by car:))...so I have a small idea of what Colorado might be like. :)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes the Rockies (whether US or Canadian) are truly amazing/stunning/mind blowing etc:) The view of the Continental Divide from my place is a never ending source of inspiration. I live in the "foothills' of the Rockies- I love the mountains here but having horses/a farm, it is easier to do that on the more level foothills:)

Daio

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Ok, I'll give some of my background. Growing up I was equally drawn to art and science. I took private art lessons from a retired art professor but realized in high school that I was a much better scientist than artist and so went to college with a science major. But I never stopped drawing and, in graduate school, when it came time to replace my Trash-80, I convinced my parents to get me a Mac 512 ke because it has at least rudimentary graphics capabilities. Ended up writing my doctoral thesis on it. Yes, it "Dr. Daio" - my doctorate is in animal nutrition. I went from graduate school to working at the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine and was part of the reason that their first LAN was composed of Macs ;) I continued to draw and do pastels and some oils but I was fascinated by digital art and possibilities. I started with Photoshop and illustrator and picked up Poser 1.0 mainly to use as a digital manikin but I was disappointed in the unrealistic proportions of the first Poser figures and didn't come back to Poser until 4.0 came out in the late 90s. But then I quickly got hooked. I think I've had products at every major Poser related brokerage, let's see the ones I remember are: Renderosity, 3dCommune, Renderotica, PoserPros, RDNA, DAZ and now HiveWire. I've done textures, characters, poses, props and figures (clothing and tack). I'm still primarily a scientist - I work for a pet food company in R&D and the last five years or so, family and work has limited the time I have available for 3D art but I haven't given up on it yet especially as I love posing HiveWire animals!

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Wow! Those interviews are great! Chris you are unbelievably honest and forthright, it's so nice to see. Also really like your art! I'm glad you didn't cash that check and I'm glad you didn't get eaten up by Google!

Daio, I'm sure there are a lot of scientists who are artists.

The first exposure I had to Poser was in some book and there was a picture someone had done in Poser included in the article. They covered a family with tree textures and shaped their heads like a tree. It was the ugliest thing I had ever seen! Totally turned me off to Poser. Wasn't until 5 was coming out and a friend of mine talked me into trying it. I've been hooked off and on ever since. I have no idea who did the tree people picture and if you are here now, I apologize in advance! Looking back it was really creative.

quietrob

Extraordinary
A real doctor! That took some dedication. At the very least you get to do what you love, not what you have to do. I am curious about whether you're the one that came out with beggin' strips! How much ram did that TRS-80 have? I almost hate to ask how much it cost! And another 2d artist turned to 3D! Poser 1. I can't even find an image of anything that says Poser 1. I started at Poser 7 and I still feel like a rookie! Great story, Daio!

3DCommune, PoserPros (Didn't DAZ buy that?)and RDNA are all gone now. Renderotica, Renderosity, DAZ and the Hive. I think there are a few left that really know how to run on a shoestring.

theschell

Brilliant
M

It's very difficult for me to explain what the cold is like in parts of Canada to people who don't live here. It's almost incomprehensibly cold, sometimes.

This was January 11th this year. It was BRUTAL. The prairie wind is merciless...but if you notice, it wasn't even that strong.

And yes... every winter there comes a day where I ask myself why I live in a place where the weather will try to kill me if given the chance. Lol

View attachment 28781

Oh yes... I know all too well how hard it is to explain it to someone that isn't in our general neck of the woods. Equally fun is when that - becomes a + and the humidity is pushing it up to +47c or so with an extreme heat warning in effect!

Last edited:

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Oh yes... I know all too well how hard it is to explain it to someone that isn't in our general neck of the woods. Equally fun is when that - becomes a + and the humidity is pushing it up to +47c or so with an extreme heat warning in effect!

sounds like hell on earth!

come to the good side of the planet.... we have Vegemite :rolleyes:

theschell

Brilliant
Yep... Hell on earth is about right... or at least it certainly feels that way some times... Could be worse though, we could be in the Yukon or Siberia... LOL!

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
Thanks quietrob!

Since we have so many new folks here now I thought it might be nice to share these fun HW artist spotlights here again - Contributing Artist Spotlight

And LOL, so LisaB..... we REALLY need to do one on you, girl! I'm up for doing that!

These are really detailed and interesting interviews!!! If, like me, you were not around for the early Poser/Daz years, these are a must read.

But the question that just must be asked, after reading Chris's interview is: Where oh where is the Hivewire Rooster??? Where is the Hivewire chicken coop with the fancy murals inside?? I can't find them in the store :D

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hmm ... we do need chickens, don't we. Oddly enough, a search in the HiveWire store for "chicken" results in the Kiwi. Well ... I guess a Kiwi kinda resembles a chicken. Sorta. If you close one eye and squint out the other.

Granted, the Kiwi is "around the size of a domestic chicken."

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Apparently, kiwi wouldn't taste anything like chicken.

Charles Douglas (19th century surveyor, explorer, naturalist) ate a pair of kiwi once. Apparently, roast or boiled kiwi tastes like a piece of pork boiled in an old coffin. Though ... one wonders what that would taste like ... or not.

Kiwi meat: What it tastes like
Prime Minister eats kiwi, just to make sure we’re not missing out on anything
Early impacts

I would think wild/feral chicken would taste quite a bit different from grain fed/cage raised chicken. "Free range" chicken might also taste more like wild chicken ... depending on the amount of grain vs bugs/worms they eat.

Apparently, commercially raised chicken tastes rather like tofu. That is ... flavorless. I don't eat a lot of chicken (or any meat), and what chicken I do eat, while raised on Amish farms are also fed GMO free/antibiotic free grain. While not raised in cages, they also aren't free range, because they are raised in buildings. So like ... how is that even natural? Honestly, without skin, flour, herbs, and spices ... chicken really doesn't taste like much, does it? Unless you're eating mature home grown chicken.

Which is probably why I don't really find much taste difference between a slow cooked stew with chicken, potatoes, and carrots and when I skip the chicken.

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
Apparently, kiwi wouldn't taste anything like chicken.

Charles Douglas (19th century surveyor, explorer, naturalist) ate a pair of kiwi once. Apparently, roast or boiled kiwi tastes like a piece of pork boiled in an old coffin. Though ... one wonders what that would taste like ... or not.

I would think wild/feral chicken would taste quite a bit different from grain fed/cage raised chicken. "Free range" chicken might also taste more like wild chicken ... depending on the amount of grain vs bugs/worms they eat.

Well :roflmao: @ that description of the taste of kiwi!

And yes, wild and free range has totally different flavors than the poor, abused creatures commercially raised. My kids said the chickens ( who just ran about wild ) in North India were amazingly flavorful.

I 've had chickens as pets. They are gorgeous, smart and very trainable.
IMG_0110-3.jpg

Terre

Renowned
We had a small flock in our back yard for some years. The eggs had golden yolks and I actually rather liked them I've never cared for eggs otherwise.
As far as brains go, we had one hen the tried very had to figure out what was happening when I watered the lawn. She stood there looking at the water falling down on one side of her, looked up at the clear sky, then looked at the other side where there wasn't any "rain". I don't know how long she did that.