• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Guidelines for Submitting Content for Sale at Hivewire 3D

eclark1894

Visionary
I haven't been a CA long enough to get a tax invoice yet, but I have in the past from other US sites (non-3D) and the only problem I have is the US has a different pay year to Aus (we're mid year and the US seems to be the start of the year) so I put it in the latest date and I haven't had a problem.
Okay, just for the record, the U.S. actually encourages businesses, and business owners to file taxes every quarter, or three months. Only private citizens are encouraged to file personal income taxes once a year, usually by the 15th of April of the following year. It's that deadline that everyone is trying to beat, April 15th, so it just seems that we start everything at the beginning of the year. So when you file is mostly dependent upon how you file.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
But Unity and Unreal make that not true anymore. Both platforms convert meshes into proprietary files that can't be extracted or used on their own. Daz, for about a year now I think, has offered a plugin for Unity (I can't remember what it's called) where you can purchase access to a morphable female figure that you can then buy clothing and stuff for to use in your game. The problem is, using it through Unity is a horrible pain (I tried their demo out of curiosity). You really want to do all your figure creation out side of the engine, in a program dedicated to it, and then import as the last step..

Morph#D is Daz's version. I have several of the characters, as they are free. Haven't done anything with them. yet, though.

1-Not an issue :) It's the !!!Suzy's character type folder we don't want.

2-We like to keep the poses in the same location the original figure's poses are because a)that's the standard way things are done in DS, and b) that's where people who do NOT move files around would look for them. Those of us who move things around will put them who knows where :).

So

\People\Dusk\Poses\Childe of Fyre\Product Name\

Poses for Dusk and Harry would go here

\Animals\HiveWireHorse\Poses\Childe of Fyre\Product Name\

Again, because they would only be used WITH Harry....

Make sense?

I actually like it when a CA uses their store name in some way, because I find it helpful when I choose to credit any content I use in renders. I also find it easy to use for creating content that I will use myself and is good practice for submitting it to whatever store I want to sell at. :bounce:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hi Daywalker, I think Alisa meant the "!!!", I've seen folders with the CA store name, its just the "vanity, look I'm first" bit at the front that's wrong :)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yes, thanks Rae - it's the ones with the exclamation points that are the ones I absolutely will change.

Putting in a folder under your name is just fine (though I know a lot of people hate them. I will recommend you put THAT folder under where the ORIGINAL textures for the Clothing or Poses etc for the figure are so the person isn't going all over to find stuff.

DAZ Studio kind of does that with products by default, so people creating for DS are more familiar with that than Poser creators. Often you'll see
Runtime\Materials\Dawn\Josy Dawn outfit\(this is where the original materials that come with the Josy Dawn outfit are)

but then 3 texture artists come up with sets for it and put them in
Runtime\Materials\LauraCA\Pretty textures for Josy\
Runtime\Materials\Dawn-Josy\LoisStuff\Hot thing for Josy\
Runtime\Materials\Josy Dawn outfit\Linda's mats\

Instead of
Runtime\Materials\Dawn\Josy Dawn outfit\LauraCA\Pretty textures\
Runtime\Materials\Dawn\Josy Dawn outfit\LoisStuff\Hot thing \
Runtime\Materials\Dawn\Josy Dawn outfit\Linda's mats\

Hi Daywalker, I think Alisa meant the "!!!", I've seen folders with the CA store name, its just the "vanity, look I'm first" bit at the front that's wrong :)

I saw that part and agree, but there are a lot of folks over on the DAZ3D forums that consider even the artists store name folder to be a "vanity" folder, or so it seems whenever it comes up in a thread there.

Yes, thanks Rae - it's the ones with the exclamation points that are the ones I absolutely will change.

Putting in a folder under your name is just fine (though I know a lot of people hate them. I will recommend you put THAT folder under where the ORIGINAL textures for the Clothing or Poses etc for the figure are so the person isn't going all over to find stuff.

DAZ Studio kind of does that with products by default, so people creating for DS are more familiar with that than Poser creators. Often you'll see
Runtime\Materials\Dawn\Josy Dawn outfit\(this is where the original materials that come with the Josy Dawn outfit are)

but then 3 texture artists come up with sets for it and put them in
Runtime\Materials\LauraCA\Pretty textures for Josy\
Runtime\Materials\Dawn-Josy\LoisStuff\Hot thing for Josy\
Runtime\Materials\Josy Dawn outfit\Linda's mats\

Instead of
Runtime\Materials\Dawn\Josy Dawn outfit\LauraCA\Pretty textures\
Runtime\Materials\Dawn\Josy Dawn outfit\LoisStuff\Hot thing \
Runtime\Materials\Dawn\Josy Dawn outfit\Linda's mats\

Makes more sense to put them with what they're meant to work with to me, so I leave stuff when the CA puts it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I saw that part and agree, but there are a lot of folks over on the DAZ3D forums that consider even the artists store name folder to be a "vanity" folder, or so it seems whenever it comes up in a thread there.
I can sort of see that, but the artist named folder works if you happen to like a specific artist's work, and buy a good many of her/his products. With the artist named folder, you can always find what you want all in one place. To me it just makes everything neater in the Runtime.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
It's definitely a personal choice, which is why we leave it up to the artist, but we don't allow the exclamation points whose only purpose is to put that artist's stuff first ;)

Some artists already have established customer bases where they EXPECT to find something like
Runtime\Poses\ArtistName\Dawn ballet poses\

So I don't insist people change it - but I do recommend ;)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Some products I leave or put under the artist named folder. But most I pull out and put in a product named folder. It's easier for me to remember some products by their name and other products by the artist who created them.

Then too, I categorize products too by type, so clothing is separated into folders like ... Battle Dress, Historical, Contemporary, Fantasy, Steampunk, Futuristic, Intimates, Headwear & Footwear. And it just doesn't make a lot of sense then to have artist folders in that kind of structure.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't categorize quite like that, but for me it depends on the particular library. For instance, I'll leave all mt5/mc6 files in an artist named folder in the Materials library so I only have one place to look for all of them, but not necessarily in the Character folder, because there the initial/parent folder is the name of the character, for instance, Dawn, and within that folder I have another Characters folder where I place the different characters for Dawn, such as Nouvelle Aube, Diva, Oleander, Oriana, etc. In that instance, I would find an artist named folder totally unnecessary. Besides, I usually remember what artist created what character. However, I don't always remember what artist created a set of clothing, or props and the like. I know, this aged mind works very weirdly.

I don't categorize quite like that, but for me it depends on the particular library. For instance, I'll leave all mt5/mc6 files in an artist named folder in the Materials library so I only have one place to look for all of them, but not necessarily in the Character folder, because there the initial/parent folder is the name of theay character, for instance, Dawn, and within that folder I have another Characters folder where I place the different characters for Dawn, such as Nouvelle Aube, Diva, Oleander, Oriana, etc. In that instance, I would find an artist named folder totally unnecessary. Besides, I usually remember what artist created what character. However, I don't always remember what artist created a set of clothing, or props and the like. I know, this aged mind works very weirdly.

What I've done in DS, and it's how other character making CAs there do it as well, is place an "Actor" preset in the Characters folder, but anything like textures for the character will be under daywalker03/<character name>/materials, with folders for 3Delight and Iray below that.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
since I recently learned I can move certain stuff around, I change the name to include the product and CAs name.
For example: Dawn > Clothing (or character, hair, etc) > ArticleName_CA
That way I know what character it is for, what the product is, and if I cant remember the name hopefully I'll remember who did it :p it also usually cuts down on how many folders I have to go through (by dropping the CA one etc).
Sometimes I might subfolder for example after Clothing, I might have "full outfit", "dress", "footwear", "fantasy" etc to help find what I'm looking for without searching though every folder.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I dont mind a folder but I'm picky about where it is placed. I use the parameter tabs when dialling morphs to create an original character so I prefer to be able to go to actor/head/ears and then have the artists folder underneath this. This allows me to see all the ears I have in one spot and dial in unique characters. Ive found if the morphs are under actor/artists names that I forget they are there. Thats why I change the path on morphs that are like that.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
since I recently learned I can move certain stuff around, I change the name to include the product and CAs name.
For example: Dawn > Clothing (or character, hair, etc) > ArticleName_CA
That way I know what character it is for, what the product is, and if I cant remember the name hopefully I'll remember who did it :p it also usually cuts down on how many folders I have to go through (by dropping the CA one etc).
Sometimes I might subfolder for example after Clothing, I might have "full outfit", "dress", "footwear", "fantasy" etc to help find what I'm looking for without searching though every folder.
I categorise everything so it can be found with the character. So mine would be Dawn/clothing/name of item/then all the mats for that item with genesis (original) because I have so much more clothing i also categorise the clothing into types like fantasy or historical.

I dont mind a folder but I'm picky about where it is placed. I use the parameter tabs when dialling morphs to create an original character so I prefer to be able to go to actor/head/ears and then have the artists folder underneath this. This allows me to see all the ears I have in one spot and dial in unique characters. Ive found if the morphs are under actor/artists names that I forget they are there. Thats why I change the path on morphs that are like that.

Understood, and this is the one place where I don't put my store name, for exactly the reason you said.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I like to keep all my clothing under a particular character's main folder, but I have also done subfolders when a clothing set has, for instance, x amount of conforming pieces, and 1 or 2 dynamic pieces. The dynamic pieces, in Poser, would be in the Props library, but I hate to have to go to another library in order to load up a single piece of clothing, when the conforming pieces have already been loaded onto the character.

For me it's, the fewer the steps/clicks to get to something, the easier it is to get to it.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Same here Pen. I first categorize everything by figure. So I have a Dawn folder, Dusk Folder, Baby Luna folder, Creatures Folder (and of course ... ancient V4, M4, & The Kids 4 folders that I really should remove since I never ... ever open them anymore).

Then under the Figure folder, I further separate by People, Clothing, Accessories. And ... so on.

I've also been putting all product files (Figures / Materials / Props / Poses) under the Characters folder in Windows / Figures category in Poser. I have the main product folder with subfolders for the Character, Materials, Poses, Props files and append Character, Materials, Poses, Props to the end of each subfolder. Makes it SOOO much easier to find everything related to a product.

It does take a bit more time to add a product to my runtimes. Instead of just dropping the Runtime folder on my runtime, I have to drag and drop each library folder where I want them. Of course, I'd do that anyway. I've never been a fan of just letting something go where someone else wants it to go :wink:

Miss B

CV-BEE
It does take a bit more time to add a product to my runtimes. Instead of just dropping the Runtime folder on my runtime, I have to drag and drop each library folder where I want them. Of course, I'd do that anyway. I've never been a fan of just letting something go where someone else wants it to go :wink:
It does take a while longer, but it's worth it in the long run. I think that's one of the main reasons I hated Poser 5 back in the day.