• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Guidelines for Submitting Content for Sale at Hivewire 3D

Hornet3d

Wise
lol...I know what you mean. I checked in my Daz Install Manager yesterday and saw I have over 6440 items from Daz, that's not counting all my other content from other sites. More recently I buy more from here and Rendo than Daz for a variety of reasons. I do like Genesis 3 but the characters I find interesting are more often on Rendo then Daz.

I used to have multiple runtimes but since Categories I haven't needed to. The thing I like is that I can have everything for the character in the one place.
So Dawn is Dawn/characters, clothes, poses, hair and all the materials are inside the outfit folders. So much easier than the old days when I had to go to characters get the clothing, then to poses and find the mats etc..

If I have money to spend I come here first but Petipet and DzFire do some great sci-fi scenes over at Daz and they tend to get me reaching for my wallet. Rendo not so much but I think some of Fabiana's items that are on sale might make it into my basket before the sale ends.

I have no idea just how many items I have but I would guess it is less than your Daz total and that would be from all sites for me. I do know I have my working runtimes on a 250G SSD and I will need to buy a bigger one probably before the end of the year. I then have another 50g or so in archived runtimes that contain stuff for V3 and the like which I might use but not on a daily basis so that is sat on a conventions hard drive.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
LOL. I completely change everything other than geometry and texture files. I sort by the type of figure and type of item and I rename stuff, too.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I have mine on an external hard drive which is 2 terabytes. I currently have 379GB's in my Daz content folder...which is a bit scary. The drive currently has over 1TB on it...I went big for a reason.:oops::rolleyes:

The only thing I edit in the files is where morphs are listed in the parameter tabs. It really annoys me when stuff is all of the place. As I tend to dial spin I like it to be neatly categorised not in separate folders. If I'm looking for a morph I'll be looking under the type of morph not the name of a product. I really like the way Hivewire organises their morphs in the official Dawn and Dusk parameter tabs. It's all nicely laid out and easy to find.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have mine on an external hard drive which is 2 terabytes. I currently have 379GB's in my Daz content folder...which is a bit scary. The drive currently has over 1TB on it...I went big for a reason.:oops::rolleyes:

The only thing I edit in the files is where morphs are listed in the parameter tabs. It really annoys me when stuff is all of the place. As I tend to dial spin I like it to be neatly categorised not in separate folders. If I'm looking for a morph I'll be looking under the type of morph not the name of a product. I really like the way Hivewire organises their morphs in the official Dawn and Dusk parameter tabs. It's all nicely laid out and easy to find.

I have my runtimes backed up to an external drive and also a NAS unit so that I can just reload the runtime structure just in case I need to.

I agree with you about the way Hivewire organises their morphs it is just the sheer number that make it difficult finding the right one sometimes but I am certainly not complaining about that.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
In DS you can do a search in the parameter tab to locate a morph if you're not sure where it's located so I've never seen that as an issue.

eclark1894

Visionary
I just noticed that Renderosity is starting to include .fbx files with their products. Is this something we should be concerned about at Hivewire? Some new trend perhaps?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm not a CA or part of the HW team, but I wouldn't think so. R'osity has started adding FBX and OBJ search terms, so some of their vendors might want to include them. OBJ files are always a welcome addition for me, so I can use a (non-organic) product in several 3D apps.

FBX has also become popular, and I've imported/exported them into/from Blender, but haven't tried playing with them in Poser, and not sure how, or if, DS can handle them.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I just noticed that Renderosity is starting to include .fbx files with their products. Is this something we should be concerned about at Hivewire? Some new trend perhaps?

Renderosity is doing this, specifically to try and get game developers to buy their stuff (at least according to an e-mail I got from them). Most game engines tend to like .fbx files. I'm guessing they are doing it for people they figure don't have Poser or Daz but are using some other 3d program or engine.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes GG, they've been touting their products for Unity, which is a game engine/software, and/or possibly Unreal, which is also gaming, though I'm not sure which is the development software, and which is the software you play the games in.

I'm currently taking 2 online courses for Blender and Python, and the site has a whole bunch of classes for Unity and Unreal, so it's a very popular market, and R'osity wants to get in on the action.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
DS sells on Unity which is probably why they included the import and export. From memory both engines have creation kits and the licence is designed to kick in once you've sold a certain amount iirc. It's a long time since I looked at them.

Miss B where are you doing the online courses for Blender and Python?

Miss B

CV-BEE
At Udemy.com. A friend mentioned the site since it offers hundreds of classes in lots of subjects, and told me they have sales every so often, so in the space of about 3 or 4 days back in November, I signed up for 5 classes. The Blender and Python for Blender classes only cost me $10, the Python beginners class (which I'll do before the Blender Python class) and Build a Complete Responsive Website were $12, and the Web Developer Bootcamp class was, IIRC, about $14. Most of their classes are very expensive when not on sale.

The beauty of this site is you have life-time access, so you don't have to run yourself ragged trying to finish a specific project within a specific time-frame. You can take as long as you want, and go back years from now to "refresh" your memory. So far I'm enjoying the Blender class. I've been using Blender for years, but I'm still learning a few things I've never tried, and additional ways to do things I've already done before, so it's been beneficial.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
We do not require either format but you can include them and list them as a feature of your product if you wish.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thanks Lisa, as sometimes I wish I could buy a product that's DS only, but if there were an FBX or OBJ version included, then I can do dynamics (clothing) in Poser, or just import an environment/prop set if in OBJ, and then just apply textures myself.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Yes GG, they've been touting their products for Unity, which is a game engine/software, and/or possibly Unreal, which is also gaming, though I'm not sure which is the development software, and which is the software you play the games in.

Just FYI, both Unity3D and Unreal are game engines, so they are both for developing software. You don't really ever play your game in either (well, if you are the developer and you are testing you do, but not regular folks). Basically they provide tools so that you don't have to build your own physical engine, and many other things that many games share, but are a lot of overhead to program from scratch. It's something a big game studio can afford to do, but not a small indie one (although lots of the big game studios use them too, because it just makes sense).

And although using the figures from programs like Poser and DS has been considered a big no-no in the past both for technical and legal reasons the idea of having a ready made human figure that you adjust to make your own rather than creating one from scratch is very much in line with the philosophy of Unity and Unreal users. The problem in the past, and why many EULAs for the sort of 3d content you find made for Poser and DS don't allow use in games was because the fear was that when you distribute a game, you are distributing the geometry of the mesh so other people could get to it and use it without paying the content creator.

But Unity and Unreal make that not true anymore. Both platforms convert meshes into proprietary files that can't be extracted or used on their own. Daz, for about a year now I think, has offered a plugin for Unity (I can't remember what it's called) where you can purchase access to a morphable female figure that you can then buy clothing and stuff for to use in your game. The problem is, using it through Unity is a horrible pain (I tried their demo out of curiosity). You really want to do all your figure creation out side of the engine, in a program dedicated to it, and then import as the last step.

At Udemy.com. A friend mentioned the site since it offers hundreds of classes in lots of subjects, and told me they have sales every so often, so in the space of about 3 or 4 days back in November, I signed up for 5 classes.

Udemy is pretty great. I've done many of their programming classes. And they do have lots of sales. I would wait until you see one of their $10 sales (one just ended yesterday I'm afraid). Because they do price many of their classes at $200, but even those classes will go on sale for $10. I feel bad for the people who make the classes, but then, although the overall quality is good, there is some variation in how good they are, and I would never be sure enough that a class was going to be the right learning style for me to spend $200 on it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Udemy is pretty great. I've done many of their programming classes. And they do have lots of sales. I would wait until you see one of their $10 sales (one just ended yesterday I'm afraid). Because they do price many of their classes at $200, but even those classes will go on sale for $10. I feel bad for the people who make the classes, but then, although the overall quality is good, there is some variation in how good they are, and I would never be sure enough that a class was going to be the right learning style for me to spend $200 on it.
I know what you mean. I'm enjoying the Blender class I'm taking, and really like the instructor. The Python for Blender class I believe is also taught by someone who will present a good class. I don't know about the intro Python class, but I have a lot of programming experience, so I should be able to pick things up even if the instructor isn't the best. It's just the syntax I want to learn, and I'm more interested in scripting in Python, rather than creating a full application with it, so I think it'll be OK.

As for the web dev classes, I've been doing that for years, so really just want to add to my current knowledge so, again, whatever I can glean will be good no matter how good the instructors are. It's obvious to me a good number of the instructors are/were former Udemy students, and that can be a little off-putting if it's a class subject you know nothing about.

jecnodde

Admirable
I'm in the process of making some content for Harry :D

I tried to find answer but couldnt:

How about tax and reporting to tax office in diffrent countrys? How does those things works when it comes to paying to vendors?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I haven't been a CA long enough to get a tax invoice yet, but I have in the past from other US sites (non-3D) and the only problem I have is the US has a different pay year to Aus (we're mid year and the US seems to be the start of the year) so I put it in the latest date and I haven't had a problem.