• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Guidelines for Submitting Content for Sale at Hivewire 3D

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Hi Everyone! :)

We've created some guidelines for submitting content to HiveWire that we hope are helpful to you.

TheContributingArtist.jpg

PDF Document Only
Full CA Info Kit Including Templates and Helper Files

UPDATED ReadMe file

If you have any questions that are not answered in this guide, please ask and we will do our best to assist you.

Thank you and Enjoy Creating!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Figures we will accept products for

As we've had some new people asking about products that can be submitted, I wanted to add this info from a thread Lisa started in Early April.
  • We will no longer accept products that are made exclusively for Daz/Poser figures, however we will accept products that include versions for both the Daz/Poser figure AND one of our HiveWire figures.

• Note that the "other figures" MUST be current Daz/Poser figures. Current figures will generally be listed on the Submission page. At this time, they include Genesis 3 or 8 figures, and La Femme

• We will no longer accept Bryce products.

• We will still be accepting environments and props that are not figure specific.

Tips that came from questions I've been asked:

Please do not get overly freaked out about what's in the CA Kit, doing things wrong, etc. I've not yet beaten up any of our CAs and have no plans to start :p. I work closely with the CAs and we'll work out any issues the QAV team has with a product. Some will be "you must fix this in order for it to be in the store" issues. Others will be "As customers, we're noticing this, you may want to consider changing it". We refer to this as "above the line" and "below the line".

Use of "My Library" or "Content" folders in DAZ Studio:
We do not use those, because not everyone CALLS it My Library or Content, so it causes confusion for people when unzipping their products.

The main folders - all on the same level - are

data
Animals
People
Shaders
Runtime

etc,,,

ReadMe/Template folder structures:

ReadMes\{your artist name}\
{Product Name} ReadMe.txt
then list files here

"But I like my own Runtime organized differently - Like I put all my poses in the Poser Character folder with the item. Can't my product be done the way I usually do things?":
What people do with files in terms of moving things after they buy is their choice. For my personal use, I move everything around all over the place. :)

However a product comes INTO QAV, it will go to the store with the structure we use, which you can see in any products from HW (other than really early ones), so that they are consistent.

.pz2 Mat Files:
We do not use these UNLESS the product is an older one which can be used in DAZ Studio 3.x and there are no DS Specific Files. Anyone with Poser 6+ or DS 4+ can read .mc6 Poser files. If you submit something with pz2 mat files that doesn't fit this exclusion, we'll convert them to mc6, place them in the Material folder, and delete the .pz2s. So, you can convert them yourself and save me the trouble ;). Any product for HW figures will require Poser 9 or DS 4.5 as minimum, so there is absolutely no need for pz2 mat files.

Beta Testing:
Honestly the most IMPORTANT part is to have things THOROUGHLY Beta tested to ensure that things work. Missing files or path errors tell us (though this can just be a packing error and happens sometimes) there is likely something wrong in the Beta process - it wasn't Beta tested, the Beta testers need better instruction of what to do, or they are testing with conflicting things mapped into Poser or DS.

ReadMes:
Things like the ReadMe not being perfect or the file structure maybe needing some alteration is not a big deal. Keep in mind that QAV goes over products. I do the final ReadMes and typically create them from a combination of the Submission info and what the CA says. I almost ALWAYS redo the file list because people do them all different ways and I also like consistency ;). I have a very specific method, and have a program that does it very quickly for me. The most important part of the ReadMe for CAs to provide is the "Important Notes" section - this is where you should have any information you want/need your customer to know..useage tips, render tips, resources used, etc.

A file list is nice, in that I know YOU intended something to be in there. Again, if it's done differently than I do it, I'll redo it.

To create final file lists. I use Mister Lister, which is part of Creator's Toybox (not available at the moment - should be coming to HW. It's used within Poser, so not something you'd use...but it creates the file list from files in any directory so is not DS/Poser specific. I make 2 small changes, removing the \ before the Templates and ReadMes folders.

Poser File Versions:
If using Poser, set your files to the lowest version the product can be used in (for anything Dawn, Dusk, Luna or Harry - that is 9).

Texture file and folder names:
If you have multiple products that use the same textures, use the EXACT same textures...ie same date and time stamp. Otherwise, people get confused when they have to overwrite and the date/time is different.

If you are doing a product for both Poser and DAZ Studio, remember that often users combine their Runtime/Library in the same folder. So if you have jpgs, don't have different files with the same name in the same folder for Poser and DS.

If you want, submit just one copy of the Runtime\Texture folder if the files are the same in Poser & DS.

Don't use generic texture names like blue.jpg, as programs often find the first one listed.

Vanity Folders:
Please don't use vanity folders ANYWHERE. These are folders you'll see in some products in your runtime with ! or multiple !!! in front of them so that they show up first before other people's product.

Compression:
Do not save files compressed (more likely for people to do in DS than in Poser) as they need to be uncompressed to edit them. Uncheck the "Save Compressed" box when saving your files.

File Locations:
We don't insist on CAs following the same location where HiveWire puts their products. Some already have things they do a certain way. Some are selling at HW and other stores and already submitted to other stores with something different (apparently at some places you are not allowed to change things once submitted).

If you are doing textures for something, have them inside the same folder structure that the original product's materials were in. SO if the original is "Runtime/Materials/Pretty Dress for Dawn/" and you do textures, put YOURS inside that last folder, not in "Runtime/Materials/Josie's textures/Dawn/Lovely for Pretty Dress for Dawn/

For things for specific figures, I'd recommend putting your folder below the folders for the specific figure, because that is where a user would go to find things FOR that figure.

Our main concern in terms of structure are user-facing files (for Poser, those are the ones in Libraries).

File folder Names:
I ALWAYS capitalize the first letter of the file folders in Poser

So
Runtime>Libraries>Materials>

Not
runtime>libraries>materials

In DS, data is not capitalized but other folders are.

Keep consistent with capitalization. So

Dog Collar.mc6
Dog Collar.png
Dog Bowl.mc6
Dog Bowl.png.

Rather than

Dog collar.mc6
Dog Collar.mc6
dog bowl.mc6
dog bowl.png.

If you don't change it I will, but less work for me is nice ;)

Final zip file size and what goes in what zip file:
Don't worry about final zip files/sizes/what's in which zip file. I decide that when I pack the final product.

The bottom line - do your best but don't freak out or lose sleep over this.
One of my favorite lines is that I'll expect perfection of others when I am perfect...and don't expect that to happen in this Space/Time Continuum ;)

We are not expecting everything to be perfect, and we'll work together to get it right :).

Hope this is helpful!!

Last edited:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Vanity Folders:
Please don't use vanity folders ANYWHERE. These are folders you'll see in some products in your runtime with ! or multiple !!! in front of them so that they show up first before other people's product.

I do have one question on this. I don't do, and never have done, the whole exclamation point thing. I hate that stuff, and always remove such markers anyway. I do, however, put products under my brand name... if people end up getting more than one or two items from me, this helps keep those items together for them, which is something I always do on my own organization if I have a lot of items from the same vendor.

So I will do things like People/Dusk/Characters/Childe of Fyre/Product Name

Is that an issue? If so I'll make sure to rearrange my product structures before sending them off to QAV.

The other question - often times when I release a character, even if its just a shape preset, I release a small batch of poses with the character. For DS content I usually set the structure up so that the poses are in the character's structure...

Example :
People/Dusk/Characters/Childe of Fyre/Product Name/Morphs
People/Dusk/Characters/Childe of Fyre/Product Name/Poses
People/Dusk/Characters/Childe of Fyre/Product Name/Materials

If the above is an issue and you need the poses under People/Dusk/Poses, then I'll need to rearrange the structure to suit that also. I mostly do things this way to make stuff easier for people to find, with the assumption that if they want things placed somewhere else, they'll move them when they install it. But I will rearrange things if it's preferred by the store here to have them organized differently.

So I just need to know about those two things before I send anything up the pipeline. Thanks. :D

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
1-Not an issue :) It's the !!!Suzy's character type folder we don't want.

2-We like to keep the poses in the same location the original figure's poses are because a)that's the standard way things are done in DS, and b) that's where people who do NOT move files around would look for them. Those of us who move things around will put them who knows where :).

So

\People\Dusk\Poses\Childe of Fyre\Product Name\

Poses for Dusk and Harry would go here

\Animals\HiveWireHorse\Poses\Childe of Fyre\Product Name\

Again, because they would only be used WITH Harry....

Make sense?

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Makes sense, mostly.

So you would want me to split Harry's poses into Harry's folder? That would leave Dusk's riding poses in the Dusk folder and Harry's poses in the Harry folder... making people bounce between them to use them? Or should Dusk's riding poses just go into Harry's folder since it needs Harry to use them?

Sorry for being a pest! Just trying to make sure the structure of the zip is setup correctly.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Sorry for being a pest! Just trying to make sure the structure of the zip is setup correctly.

You are NOT being a pain at all!!!

{{HUGS}}

Or should Dusk's riding poses just go into Harry's folder since it needs Harry to use them?

Sorry, I didn't explain that well. Yes, the Dusk riding poses go into the folder with the ones for Harry - for exactly those reasons - since they need Harry to use them and so you don't have to go back and forth to find one and then the other.

Here are examples from the DS version 2 of the products in the store.

Dawn of the Horse did it this way:
DS Path (is a DS only product) - \Animals\HiveWireHorse\Poses\Don Albert Actions\Dawn of the Horse\Galloping Cycle R-L\
Galloping 001 Dawn-Side Thrust
Galloping 001 HWH
Galloping 002 Dawn-Huntress Bow Archer
Galloping 002 Dawn-Racing
Galloping 002 Dawn-Riding Double
Galloping 002 HWH
In the above case with 002, he has 3 different poses for Dawn that are all intended to work with Galloping 002 HWH

A Girl and Her Horse Poses for Dawn and the HiveWire Horse
did it this way (there is an extra "Horse" folder in there we should have removed...oops :) ).
DS path - \Animals\HiveWireHorse\Poses\Horse\A Girl and Her Horse Poses by Morris\
Poser path - \Runtime\Libraries\Pose\HiveWire 3D Animals\HiveWireHorse\Horse\A Girl and Her Horse Poses by Morris\
!ResetDawn
!ResetHorse
Set01_Dawn
Set01_Horse
Set02_Dawn
Set02_Horse
Set03_Dawn
Set03_Horse

A reset pose is nice to have, by the way ;)

Hope that helps :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Makes sense, mostly.

So you would want me to split Harry's poses into Harry's folder? That would leave Dusk's riding poses in the Dusk folder and Harry's poses in the Harry folder... making people bounce between them to use them? Or should Dusk's riding poses just go into Harry's folder since it needs Harry to use them?
I can tell you that in Poser, and therefore I would assume DS, the poses are split up, depending on what "character" they are directly used with.

As far as "bouncing" back and forth, I suppose that could occur if you decide to change the pose of Dusk's hands and the reins in the middle of setting up the scene. Initially, though, I would set up Harry and the tack, and choose the pose for the reins. THEN, I would get Dusk (or Dawn) in the scene and set him/her up, and choose the appropriate hand pose for the reins. Since the Classic and Western Tack poses are in folders within the Poses folder under Dusk (or Dawn), you really aren't bouncing around too much, unless, as I mentioned above, you decide to change the hand/reins pose you want to use.

Does that help?

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Any
Yeah, I think so. Looks like I have to break up the partials folders also, as I did make partials for Dusk's mounted poses as well.

Yes, I'd put the Dusk partial poses that are to go with the horse in the Horse Pose folder, and any that are just general Dusk partial poses in with the Dusk Pose Folder :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Miss B -

Yeah, I think so. Looks like I have to break up the partials folders also, as I did make partials for Dusk's mounted poses as well.
OOOOOPS, my mistake. Instead of unzipping the download to check, I opened Poser to check, and that's how "I" position them, but the downloaded zip had all the poses together in separate folders for the Bridle, Saddle, DawnSR2 and Dusk within the Western Tack folder, that resides in the HiveWire Horse folder. Sorry about that. :headdesk:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes, I'd put the Dusk partial poses that are to go with the horse in the Horse Pose folder, and any that are just general Dusk partial poses in with the Dusk Pose Folder :)

Yes, that's what I've just done with it. Thanks.

I also copied the Zeroes folder to the Harry/Poses area as well, just so folks do not have to bounce back and forth simply to reset body parts for Dusk. So, there is a pose reset folder in both places with this, just for convenience sake.

And yes, I made a Zero All for the horse as well. ;)

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
The ReadMe file is slightly updated. I'll update the zip at some point and fix the link to it, but rather than do that right now, just click on "ReadMe file " in the previous sentence to download the new one. It's mostly the same, just forgot to change the other one for some spacing I do :)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hi Alisa, just letting you know the Creator's ToyBox link doesn't work anymore :)

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks, yeah, don't have a new one yet, til Joe (Netherworks) is able to get his products to us and we can get them in the store :). I just removed the link for now :)

eclark1894

Visionary
Question about Poser and DS unused dials. How do you hide them in either program. I know how to delete them in Poser, but not sure that's what you mean.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hey Earl, don't recall off-hand what version of Poser you're using, but I know with my Poser 9 I got a plugin/script bundle from Dimension3D that has one called Unhide Dials because Poser 9 (not sure about P10 or P11 Standard) doesn't have the option in the Parameters palette menu to show hidden dials. When activated it allows me to Show or Hide dials from a popup window with two lists, one of the hidden dials, and one of the dials that are already showing, and you can move them from one side to the other easily.

That said, my PoserPro 11 (and possibly earlier Pro versions) have a Show hidden parameters option in the Parameters palette menu, and once they are showing, you can check the settings and, at least in PP11, it will show a check box for hidden. Since you want to hide dials, that check box would be unchecked, so I would assume, and Alisa can correct me if I'm wrong, all you would need to do is check that box, and it will hide the dial(s) you want hidden.

Hope that makes some sense. ;)

eclark1894

Visionary
I hate to keep asking stupid questions.

Especially when I'm not sure where to ask them, but here goes...

Are there any type of products that Hivewire does NOT want and will not accept? If so, I'd like to know what they are. And I KNOW about the sex stuff that should be on Renderotica, but I am wondering about other stuff like weapons, clothing that's too sexual, props that appear to violent, like say a guillotine, or a gallows. That kind of stuff.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
From the submissions page:

You can submit any type of content, but know we consider ourselves a "PG-13" site. We will accept tasteful nude content, but nothing overly sexually suggestive, abusive, extremely violent or gory. Product images may not show the bare female nipple, genitals, bare groin, bare natal cleft, or anus,of the humanoid figures. Product images that may be considered overly sexual in nature, may be reviewed by the staff of this site as to its appropriateness. Images may not show sexual acts, or violent sexual activity, rape, torture, or acts of physical mutilation or gratuitously violent behavior. Images that contain depictions of children are especially sensitive and will be reviewed even more strictly than other such images. No images will be allowed that are considered personal attacks, or attacks towards a religion.

Chris &/or Lisa review every submission that comes into HW, and if there are things that are not ok, but can be changed so they are, you'll be told about that.

Does that help?

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
By the way, there are no stupid questions :)

I moved this (twice, cause I forgot there's already an appropriate thread for this).

eclark1894

Visionary
There are plenty of stupid questions. Most people are just too nice to say so. Thanks Alisa.

So, are gallows or the guillotine too violent or gory? or is that only if I put a body in them?