• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Bejeweled and Fantasy sets:WIP

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
They are meant to be more of a "inspired by" carousel or music box horses :)

They did sometimes use real horse hair on carousel horses but I'd assume that they wouldn't last as long as carved Manes/Tails (and it would usually be only the tail, I guess for that reason).

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Maybe it's only done in Australia because that's how I visualise the horses manes and tails too Rae. I can't remember seeing it any other way.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I am O.L.D. and love merry go rounds and have a lot of books on carousels and carved carousel animals and even had a wood working friend who was commissioned to refurbish a whole set for a collector who bought a whole old fashioned merry-go-round to install in a shopping mall he was building but I have NEVER seen fiber hair tails and manes on carousel horses. That is co cool. Where did these images come from....I mean besides the Google Search Engine! LOL

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
sorry I googled carousel with real hair (alot of rocking horses came up too). I haven't seen a merry-go-round for ages but I have seen one with real horse hair tails (I think it had a carved mane tho). I googled a lot of carousel horses so I could reference for some poses :p

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
sorry I googled carousel with real hair (alot of rocking horses came up too). I haven't seen a merry-go-round for ages but I have seen one with real horse hair tails (I think it had a carved mane tho). I googled a lot of carousel horses so I could reference for some poses :p
Actually I still have a wooden rocking horse with felt flecking that has a soft saddle and fiber mane and tail. I never got kids and told my nephew to let his little girl use it but his wife is a bit careful/retentive and was afraid it was not child safe. It sits suspended off the ground on steel frame with springs and brackets I guess I can see as appearing unsafe. But nothing ever happened to me. I wonder if it is worth any money as a collectable?

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I've seen that type of rocking horse.
Had one for my son but unfortunately he managed to get a tiny finger caught in the springs.
They are unsafe for that reason and we got rid of it.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
One does not realize how dangerous something is until they have a young one get hurt.
Baby mobiles are dangerous too if you fail to remove them by the time a baby learns to pull up in the crib.

Some of the older walkers were bad to fold up with children in them and strollers too.
And yet we all used them unless something happened.

A lot of the time it is due to children being so curious at a way too early age...lol.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Hmm! I don't doubt what you both say as i said I never had kids. But there must be something wrong with me nothing of that sort aroused my curiosity enough to do myself harm and I was a latch key kid who got into a lot of my own kind of trouble when older. But there are ways of hurt proofing toys like this horse.....wrapping stiff fabric and/or rubber sheeting used for cutting your own faucet gaskets out of is one.
Raising the Mobile just beyond reach so a newly standing child can't reach it is another. Double latch cabinet locks a child can't bypass to get into cabinets and drawers. I came up with a lot of such options for my sister when she had her kids and she came up with a few brilliant ones for herself. I guess we are all different. I may have been brought up in a world where this kind of precautions was not considered. But as I said nothing ever happened to me as a well loved child. Maybe I was just lucky! ;)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Nothing like that ever happened to me either and it surprises me as I was very curious about stuff.
but my son somehow got into trouble with the rocking horse and the mobile...lol.

I wonder how hard it would be to make the MFTs look plastic.
Can't get into doing it now and don't know till after Tuesday how long before I can.
Stuff coming up that will possibly put me out of commission for a bit.
I'll get back to it all when I can.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hugs FL :wub:

For plastic MTFs, it might come down to the trans map? like having a shape but no transparency so it looks solid? Just thinking out loud :)

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Hugs FL :wub:

For plastic MTFs, it might come down to the trans map? like having a shape but no transparency so it looks solid? Just thinking out loud :)
Not sure that will work will it?
The hair is transmapped layers of flat planes isn't it? THe carousel horses I have for P4 horse and MilHorse were modeled tht way.

Here is the P4 version I got long ago If you care to look. If I recall it was a freebie.
**BEWARE TASTY NUDITY**
http://shantetoo.deviantart.com/art/Reby-On-Carousel-Horse-4fx-402454763\

And there is another set for MilHorse over at 'Rosity in the store I bought during a store sale but never used that seems to have same sort of thing I believe.
Carousel Mil Horse 3D Models nikisatez
Also got Daio's gorgeous Wild Rose set for MilHorse but it has strand hair and tail.
And for anyone interested there are two merry go rounds set there also.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the links.
It might be possible by using the Photoshop actions on the textures to make them look plastic and adding the trans-map.

May fiddle with this weekend just to play while waiting for Tuesday.

Gonna be too sore for a couple of days to work on stuff, then one week from Tuesday I have a surgical consult.
At that time I will find out if it is benign or cancer.