• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

YUGE GAME CHANGER in DAZ STUDIO in beta right now

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
As far as I understand, both technically allowed. But (probably) only hybrid garments will be allowed in Daz store.

I hope that is the case, as I saw this on one of the DAZ threads.

Content designed to rely on these attributes may or may not have all the traditional rigging associated with conventional content.

I don't sell at DAZ as they won't have me. Well, I presume that as they ignored my attempts a couple of years ago.

Hornet3d

Wise
I hope that is the case, as I saw this on one of the DAZ threads.

Content designed to rely on these attributes may or may not have all the traditional rigging associated with conventional content.

I don't sell at DAZ as they won't have me. Well, I presume that as they ignored my attempts a couple of years ago.

That is a shame to hear but Daz's loss.

As a Poser only user I am pleased that my fellow artists who are Daz only now have a new tool to play, let's face it anything that gives the ability to make renders more realistic ( assuming that is your aim) is a plus for everyone. I will be interested in the camparrissions, such as those you have already listed, when the artists who have a foot in both camps really need start playing.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Okay, did a drape test with two layers/garments at the same time, not one poke through. sorry for graininess but couldn't wait for the renders to finish.
So, you can have layers in a single garment and drape together if separate garments.

EDit to add - the waistband of the skirt and the top of the dress had dynamic strength reduced to zero and that part is conforming, rest is draped

upload_2017-10-12_16-54-44.png

upload_2017-10-12_16-55-0.png

AllenArt

Eager
I don't think it's a game changer completely as for those who are diehard poser users will continue to use poser. You are content with what you have and great. BUT, those who are on the fence and hovering as to which way they will go, may jump into DAZ's garden. Also, newbies who weigh up the two programmes are more than likely go grab the free one.

At this moment in time, they haven't stipulated if it will be necessary to have the clothing as conforming or a prop or if both will be allowed. Personally, I hate weight mapping with a vengeance and probably will have me tearing my hair out if it HAS to be conforming. It works perfectly fine with a lot of garments that don't need pinning into place like my dress above. And if it needs a slight pinch in ( eg the waist) there is an expansion-contraction ratio setting which shrinks or puffs out that area (Surface/material zone)

Some things I've noticed which I think is an improvement over poser cloth room.

1. sims are faster
2. cloth properties can be saved out
3. no poke-throughs, I've draped about a dozen times and not spotted one pokey.
4. Can turn dynamic strength off or down for specific surfaces, ideal for belts or basques where the draping is required for other parts of the garment.
5. not tried it yet but multiple layers in one garment will drape okay without pokies, will test that out later with my peacock dress and overskirt

Downside -

1. It doesn't have constrained groups, so suppose that's where the conforming comes into play and you can remove or reduce the dynamic strength on certain surfaces. (IE turn dynamic strength down to zero for belts. they will continue to conform, whilst the rest of the garment drapes around it. Hence, most garments will probably need to be conforming (GRRR WMapping!)
2. No morphing tool to smooth anything out - however, it does have smoothing modifier which you turn off during sims and turn back on again afterwards. Plus there are no pokies so no need to sort those out with a morphing brush.
3. Long garments that hit the floor will need a ground plane added to the scene or it will drape through the ground shadow. If I make anything and sell it, I will add an invisible plane prop as standard. You just have to remember to load it or it will drape into the ground and beyond.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but here is a grecian dress I made....the overskirt is actually double layered and is attached to the rest of the dress. Worked fine with a few minor adjustments.

Laurie

Grecian-Dress-G8F.jpg

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Is that poser or a recent dForce drape. I meant in poser. I could never get double layers to behave in a single drape. always has to be two garments draped on sim 1 and sim 2

AllenArt

Eager
That's dforce and is all a single drape....I didn't use the timeline, I used the drape from zero at current frame. I did extend the stabilizing time and had it drape a little longer before the actual pose drape tho :)

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
oh yeah, I can do double layers in Daz, I meant poser. That skirt over the dress is DAZ, but I couldn't do that in a single garment in poser. I just tried to do a laying down pose from standing, her foot got caught and the bottom of her dress exploded, lol.

AllenArt

Eager
oh yeah, I can do double layers in Daz, I meant poser. That skirt over the dress is DAZ, but I couldn't do that in a single garment in poser. I just tried to do a laying down pose from standing, her foot got caught and the bottom of her dress exploded, lol.

Some of those dforce explosions are very interesting. LOL. I think they suggest if you're pose is making a body part go thru the cloth that you should use the timeline and scrub to where the appendage is about to touch and move it a little so that it doesn't intersect :).

Laurie

AllenArt

Eager
I like that Grecian Dress Laurie. You wouldn't happen to have that in OBJ format, would you?

I do, but you'd have to use it in DS. It wouldn't behave too well in Poser I'm afraid because of the dual layers in the overskirt. It would be an intersection nightmare ;). Poser cloth seems to be ok with backside against frontside (and frontside to frontside), but not too well with backside to backsides. It lets them pass thru each other then.

Laurie

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
I do, but you'd have to use it in DS. It wouldn't behave too well in Poser I'm afraid because of the dual layers in the overskirt. It would be an intersection nightmare ;). Poser cloth seems to be ok with backside against frontside (and frontside to frontside), but not too well with backside to backsides. It lets them pass thru each other then.

Laurie
Just pure curiosity on my part in asking, but do you have the dress set up for self collisions in Poser?

AllenArt

Eager
Just pure curiosity on my part in asking, but do you have the dress set up for self collisions in Poser?

No, because it's for G3F, which doesn't work in Poser without more trouble than I want to put myself thru ;). I don't have it set up for Poser at all. I'm just going by experience. And yes, I have done double layers with self collision and still had the problems I listed.

Laurie

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE

Laurie
If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to try it out. Not saying I'll get better results than you did, but would just like to satisfy my curiosity, as I really like the style, and I never upgraded my DS past 4.0 Pro, so can't use DUF.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Love that dress Dawn....: )

I haven't installed the beta yet. I was wondering in one of the posts it mentioned that you can turn off the dynamics using the surface tab? Is this correct?

If so has anyone used the ease of creating a new surface to create pins? If so, did it work?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks tparo. I downloaded find installed it. Managed to get it to simulate the bardot outfit but need to play with it some more.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I really don't want my thread turned into a war of Poser vs DAZ Studio. It IS a game changer for DAZ Studio users so yea, my subject line is appropriate. It's not a game changer for Poser users as you have had your toys allot longer but from what I've seen the DAZ Studio system seems simpler and more intuitive so again it IS A GAME CHANGER FOR DAZ STUDIO USERS! Thanks