• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Would you like a padded cloak?

Do you need two-sided cloth(materials) for Iray and/or SuperFly?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist

Two possible types of materials:

A. Thick garments. Fully independent sides, independent bump/normal maps and displacement (in Iray). Non-translucent. :yeahthat: Usable for cloaks, coats and so on. Basically where you need padding, but item was not modeled this way. Possible artifacts on edges if bump/normal not zero here. But you could have red fur-padded mantles for you kings and queens with some effort.

B. Thin cloth. Composite translucency - i.e. mix of colors of print on face side, translucency color and color of flip side. Independent metal/roughness and glossy layer settings for sides. Metallness affects (nullify) transparency. (Metal details or golden embroidery is not translucent, is it?)
No displacement.
Variation with cloth(weave)-specific gloss options and pores in cloth (some synchronization of sides will be used).

(Ceramics not forgotten. But historic correctness takes time, so it's kind of crawl...)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
That sounds great. Just to clarify though, are you talking about making a merchant resource with the material files? Or are you talking about load you yourself are making, or both?

If it is a set of material files, does that mean that if you have the Show Backfiring Polygons option on, it will show both sides? Or that your mesh needs to have a front and a back?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
@Pendraia , thanks! Different - Iray surface is always two-sided, so you don't need side checking routine in network, only add parameters to have access to second side. But by design this sides share normals - it is good to emulate sheets-like objects and not so good when you need fur-padded cloak. There is ways to solve it, and now I try to make it without using MDL.

@Gadget Girl , I'm talking about MR at least for Iray. For Superfly some wacros in style of bastradized EzMat will be needed.
Geometry-wise it's shader for items without real thickness, like medieval cloak in example render. Superfly and Iray has no options like "show backfacing polygons", as I said surfaces in Iray always two-sided, Daz Uber Iray shader just doesn't have inputs to access second side. In Poser/SF there is option in Poser Surface "normals always forward", but I'm working on Cycles-root version.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Fair enough...I never knew that Iray Surface were always two sides, although now that I think of it if you look at the back in 3delight doesn't it automatically have two sides? I know that Zbrush is only one sided drives me nuts at times. I think iirc that these shaders were to allow different settings on each side.