• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP: Medieval Finery for Harry

What should this product be called?

• The Joust for the Hivewire Horse

• Medieval Finery for the Hivewire Horse

• Tournament Wear for the Hivewire Horse

• Barding for the Hivewire Horse

• The Tournament for the Hivewire Horse

• Other. . . (add a comment below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Why not just leave the saddle as a smart prop with added stuff either as additional spart props or attached with morphs added? It can be more versatile wouldn't it?

Thanks for all the reference images as well a the links, very useful.

I'm guessing you mean to make a new saddle from scratch as a smart prop, rather than rigging one. Out of curiosity I went ahead and presented the classic tack saddle instead of conforming it, and tried some poses with Harry. It actually works quite well so that's something I'll keep in mind. That being said, I don't think my 3d skills are quite there yet.

The funny thing is my background is making props and costumes for classical theatre. I can completely see myself sitting on the studio floor with some foam, an electric carving knife, a 5 gallon bucket and a sharpie on a string, and making something like that, but my brain hasn't quite translated it into how to make something in 3D. That doesn't mean I don't want to make more armor for Harry some day, but for now I want to concentrate on something I know I can do well and finish.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I've been doing a lot of work on this recently, and I'm trying to get the textures more refined. I've got some nice gold thread for the Superfly version, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do something similar with the Firefly version.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
That's really nice work. I like it a lot.

Thanks. I'm playing the, "how many textures and what should they be" game at the moment. Trying to decide how historical, and how Game of Thrones to go. Especially because lots of the historical coats of arms get ugly and busy as they start mixing them together (I'm looking at you modern British royal family). Actually this one would work just fine for Henry II. But usually the English kings had 3 lions passant (on all fours).

However, this is also a pretty good House Lanister, and I have a House Stark as well (which I want to do a White Wolf variant of). So this could be lots of fun.

Jan

Adventurous
Yes some Game of Thrones theme would be great, I am into that series and have collected lots of M4 and V4 clothes suitable for the theme. This is House Tyrell sigils

HouseTyrellKnight1a.jpg

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Yes some Game of Thrones theme would be great, I am into that series and have collected lots of M4 and V4 clothes suitable for the theme. This is House Tyrell sigils

I was thinking of House Tyrell, partly because I was also thinking of doing some red and white roses for the War of the Roses (although I don't think they ever used them as actual heraldry), also I thought some more flower themed ones would be good for elves.

My versions of the heraldry are going to be different from the show (for legal reasons if no other) but I hope you like my dire wolf. I was working on the morph for the Shetland Pony and this idea occurred to me.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Is there a fastening for around the rear end to keep the cloth from slipping of.

No, there is no fastening on the rear. If you look at the image you posted, on this style they aren't fastened in the rear. And it hasn't been a problem in any of the renders or simulations I have done. There's quite enough 'friction' to keep it in place. Now on the split version, there is a center strap to keep the back end in place behind the saddle.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
If you're in Poser, you could just constrain a vertice or two at the back to keep the whole thing contained. I found that useful when trying to run horseblanket sims with "high wind" settings, or in extreme action poses such as rearing. Depending on your DAZ studio dynamic workaround, different courses of action might be required... :)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I'm still hard at work on this. I got the morphs done to fit to the Draft Horse, the Beast, Shetland Pony, and the Foal. All the other breeds will work pretty easy by just running the cloth simulation. I am however having to do a lot of reworking on the face plate. It just wasn't fitting right as well as it needs some other materials, although I think I've gotten a handle on that aspect.

Right now I'm trying to get one other project done and out the door, which I'm pretty close on. But yes, I'm still working away at this. Thanks for the interest.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
So I'm still hard at work on this. I got the morphs done to fit to the Draft Horse, the Beast, Shetland Pony, and the Foal. All the other breeds will work pretty easy by just running the cloth simulation. I am however having to do a lot of reworking on the face plate. It just wasn't fitting right as well as it needs some other materials, although I think I've gotten a handle on that aspect.

Right now I'm trying to get one other project done and out the door, which I'm pretty close on. But yes, I'm still working away at this. Thanks for the interest.

Wow, can't believe you're even fitting to the extreme breed shapes, the Beast, Pony and Foal in particular.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So just so you all know, just got something submitted to QAV the other day, so this is now #2 on my list. I have a project that I want done for Easter/Spring, which is number 1, but once I have that in testing, I'll be back at work on this, and a lot of the work is done, so hopefully it won't be too long.