• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Windows 10 Upgrade

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Ken, it was a simultaneous IE 11 and Adobe Flash upgrade that was creating a nightmare for many Poser users. Since P11 doesn't use Flash, those users managed to avoid the issue, mostly.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
My computer has 8GB ram and a 4GB video card...so I should up my Ram?

It all depends on how serious you are about 3D, the size of your scenes, and how much memory is left after loading the textures. For instance, 4K textures have become common these days, and they can be a major memory hog. That's why 12GB RAM might be a more comfortable place to be, depending in your scenes. Video card memory (VRAM) is only relevant if you want to go for GPU rendering with things like Octane. Poser itself renders with "buckets", which allows loading only a small portion of each memory when rendering - it will never try to load everything at once. But with Octane, the opposite happens - you can only render if the entire scene fits inside your available VRAM space. There is an option to use system RAM, but it generally kills the rendering performance Octane is famous for. The next Octane version will also be able to use OpenCL to untie itself from nVidia-only cards. But in your case, 4GB VRAM should be good for most scenes. I have used an old GTX580 with 3GB VRAM for many years with Poser/Octane, and had no issues.

For people who are having Poser/DS crashes, first thing is to check which problem is causing them. The most common causes are lack of sufficient RAM and video card OpenGL driver incompatibilities. In Windows you can use Task Manager to check how much RAM is available at any time, and the one from Win10 is the best I have seen so far. Video card driver is a bit trickier to troubleshoot, but the common symptoms are random crashes when interacting with the viewport. Embedded video adapters can cause all sorts of issues because the drivers are often not certified, and are seldom ever updated. In laptops, overwriting these OEM drivers with Windows Updates can cause even more problems when the hardware was specially modified to fit a specific laptop model. I used to have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that only worked with Toshiba video drivers, even when the embedded video adapter was from nVidia. Installing nVidia drivers would increase crashes, but that was with Windows 7. I quit having such issues with Win10, even when the laptop was built for Win7. I guess that's because Microsoft no longer supports Win7, so the longer people linger with it, the more prone to crashes it might become over time. ^^;

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ken, it was a simultaneous IE 11 and Adobe Flash upgrade that was creating a nightmare for many Poser users. Since P11 doesn't use Flash, those users managed to avoid the issue, mostly.

Here again, I am a Flash developer (since 2006), and I have been using primarily PP2014 in my production PC. Poser indeed uses IE internally, and Adobe AIR for the external library manager. I went through the Win10 transition, where Microsoft Edge has become the new default browser, but Win10 also automatically installed IE by default, so I didn't notice any issues with Poser. PP2014 still uses the Adobe AIR content library, and I leave it with automatic updates. I am actually having more issues with the new HTML5 content browser in PP11, and it still doesn't support everything we already had with the Adobe AIR version. SMS is working on it, but there are still plenty of bugs. I know SMS has been working hard on fixing it because I have been beta-testing for SMS since 2015. Until then, I am still keeping PP2014 when things don't work as expected in P11. In other words, I have been having more issues with HTML5 than I had with Adobe AIR. That might be because Flash has been battle-hardened with decades of industry use, while HTML5 itself was never designed to do this kind of task, but it's being pushed to do it anyway. In addition, the complete HTML5 formal definition has not been completed yet, so it's not really a "standard" yet, but we are pushing it down the hill as if it were. Therefore I am not surprised this new HTML5 content library seems so hard to modify, fix or maintain.

If there was a period where an Adobe update has caused trouble, I don't seem to have been affected. I would know if I did, because I push Poser to its knees almost everyday. If there was an issue, it seems like it has been resolved already. :)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
If there was a period where an Adobe update has caused trouble, I don't seem to have been affected. I would know if I did, because I push Poser to its knees almost everyday. If there was an issue, it seems like it has been resolved already. :)

Yeah, you appear to have been lucky to miss the mess then. SM had to step in with Adobe to try to get the mess straightened out.

And, funnily, I am not having a bit of trouble with the P11 library with HTML5. Works like a charm for me and I greatly prefer it to the Adobe libraries.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Will have to wait to do that though....my car has an oil leak and it's going to cost $600 to fix....Ruddy cars can't do without them...but boy oh boy they cost!

DigiDotz

Adventurous
Happy Anniversary...win 10

Over an hour windows 10 update like it or not - at least that's what I think the update was.
I did get a handy flight mode setting for the large desktop pc and monitor I love to lug around on flights -unless it was there before. .
Text on update said it was to keep me safe online - and that's always suspicious:giggle: