• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Windows 10 Upgrade

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have never allowed Windows (any version) do automatic updates, so I'm OK for now.

I'm seriously looking into getting a new computer with Linux. I think I've had enough of Windows for one lifetime.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I just did the registry one so I will see how it goes...I already had it set to let me choose the downloads to download and install...and I ended up with the win10 thing in my task bar...

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, I've had my MS auto-updates disabled since the first day that I opened the pc up out of the box... LOL! I know MS's tricks by now...

And yeah, I play hardball... I go right to the registry on top of the update settings. :p

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I just did the registry one so I will see how it goes...I already had it set to let me choose the downloads to download and install...and I ended up with the win10 thing in my task bar...
Several people have mentioned that Win10 alert in their taskbar/systray, but I still haven't seen it. Watch, now I probably hoaxed myself. ~shakes head~

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I actually upgraded to Win10 for free, and there were some hickups at first (abut a year ago), but Microsoft has fixed most of them by now. I was reluctant to upgrade my Win7 PC, but I was eager to do it on my Win8 tablet. I have to say I don't regret I did. I now also have it on my laptop, and everything works fine. Automatic updates can be annoying, but they don't happen very often.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
You are right..it is excellent and it also gives you the option to change your mind and go back...now I do feel safe!

I upgraded from win 7 pro and was totally ready to hate it. But I have had no issues. A lot of people say updates hose their PP11 installs but I haven't found that. Not to say that that I havem't had PP11 issues but none were windows related. If your choices are some sort of windows 8 operating system or windows 10 I would say go for windows 10. It is so much faster on boot up and I also think more stable.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I have win7 on this drive...but I do have win10 on my other drive...but I kept having trouble with poser...now I am back using win7 the poser troubles have gone!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
You are right..it is excellent and it also gives you the option to change your mind and go back...now I do feel safe!

Yes, really excellent piece of programming there.

I upgraded from win 7 pro and was totally ready to hate it. But I have had no issues. A lot of people say updates hose their PP11 installs but I haven't found that. Not to say that that I havem't had PP11 issues but none were windows related. If your choices are some sort of windows 8 operating system or windows 10 I would say go for windows 10. It is so much faster on boot up and I also think more stable.

Actually, it was hosing Poser 2012 and Poser 2014. Practically every Tuesday night. Tuesdays are Microsoft Update days.

By Wednesday afternoon, people were howling that Poser immediately crashed on startup.

skylab

Esteemed
The Windows 10 icon disappeared immediately, and I've got it monitoring the drive so nothing else can come through. Wonderful, thank you so much for that tip :)

Wow I really haven't had problems but I am guessing it is hardware specific. And I am not a PP11 power user so maybe I dont' stress it. So to be safe I would say don't use windows 10.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Well on win10 my poser11pro would not only crash...but it would freeze...no trouble at all in win7...in win10 I had no problems with my pp2014 though

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Actually, it was hosing Poser 2012 and Poser 2014. Practically every Tuesday night. Tuesdays are Microsoft Update days.
By Wednesday afternoon, people were howling that Poser immediately crashed on startup.

Strange - I have been using Win10 since the early beta-testing days, and I had absolutely no issues with Poser Pro 2014, and now Poser Pro 11. I am using both in a Win10 x64 machine, and performance is actually a little better. Conversely, I see complaints about Poser often crashing in some forums, but that doesn't happen to me either. I remember Poser 4 and 6 were KINGS of crashes, but I use PP2014 and PP11 almost everyday for HOURS, and no crashes.

I remember that before Poser finally got a memory management in version 7 (I think it was 7, or maybe 8), lack of enough RAM was the major cause for crashes. It's easy to forget that 3D software are usually memory hogs. I saw people running Poser on a WinXP laptop with only 2GB RAM, loading a 3GB scene and then blaming it was Poser's fault when WinXP cannot handle more than 2GB memory at once before resorting to virtual memory, and most likely crash. I have also seen people adding 4GB RAM to a laptop running a 32-bits Win7, which on its own can only handle up to 2GB - and then complaining that Poser crashes. Half the memory will never be used. My sister-in-law has a laptop doing exactly that: 6GB RAM on a 32-bits Windows 8, so 4 of the 6GB RAM will *never* be used. Windows will reserve about 800MB RAM for internal use, she only actually have a little more than 1GB free, no matter how much memory is physically installed. The opposite can also happen - the OS is 64-bits, but people install 32-bits Poser, which on its turn can only use up to 2GB RAM, no matter how much memory is available.

Another common cause for crashes is video card driver compatibility with OpenGL. Both Poser and DS use OpenGL on the previews. Some video cards have compatibility issues with some 3D software, and I remember some of the ones I had (8800GT, GTX275 and GTX470) caused trouble with Poser. Windows updates can cause compatibility issues with some video card drivers, and that can indirectly cause Poser/DS to crash. This is typically resolved with video card driver updates, but I remember ATI cards having OpenGL driver issues that they just couldn't fix. I have switched to nVidia cards, and had no more issues with the GTX580 and now the GTX980Ti. I imagine OpenGL driver for motherboard embedded video cards can be quite unpredictable, since these chipsets get way less driver updates than dedicated video adapters.

Even though Poser/DS are a popular tools, they are 3D programs that require some hardware muscle. The least people can do is add more memory to keep things more stable. If you are running with 4GB, that's the bare minimum, where some bigger scenes can take Poser or DS down with possible crashes. There was a prop from Stonemason that could take 3GB RAM on its own because of the amount of textures loaded into memory, and that was just ONE prop. Loading that on a 4GB computer will most likely cause a crash. Even 3DS MAX tends to crash if it runs out of memory. It's the nature of 3D software. They are memory hogs. Get more memory and make sure your OS *and* software are both 64-bits. If one of them is 32-bits, more memory would have no effect because it would never be used.

How much RAM is enough? With 3D it's never enough, but 6 to 8GB is less prone to crashes than 4GB. My old PC had 12GB RAM, and my current one has 16GB. You will notice that Windows also runs smoothly with more RAM, and memory is cheaper nowadays. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My computer has 8GB ram and a 4GB video card...so I should up my Ram?

I run with 12 GBs of RAM myself, Sanbie... now mind you, I still run into limits with 3D, but the 12GBs that I have is enough to do almost anything I'd want to do. And I do tend to put together and render some pretty complicated/heavy scenes.