• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Windows 10 April update - No More Home Group.

Semicharm

Eager
Over the years, I've managed networks with PCs, phones, tablets, and other random network gear. There's a number of common snags when getting file shares working between computers.
  • The systems have to be on the same network. Basically, connected via wire or wireless to the same router. They should be able to connect to the Internet too. It's not required for file sharing, but may be a sign of other network issues that need to be fixed first.
  • The network connection must be set to "private". Sometimes, it gets set to "public" by accident or glitch.
  • The system with the files you want to share must have sharing enabled. I think it's usually on by default when the network is set to "private", but I've occasionally seen sharing get disabled anyway.
  • Make sure your firewall is set to allow file shares. Windows' firewall has it enabled by default, but 3rd party security apps may not.
  • If the system still doesn't show up under "network", check that they're under the same workgroup. Windows is usually good at setting that correctly, but it sometimes gets misconfigured with a random name.
    The easiest way to check and fix it is in the system properties. (You can get there directly by pressing Win+PauseBreak [it's usually on the far right end of the top row])
  • Still doesn't work and all of the above is correct? Open the file browser (Win+E) and in the address bar up top, type two forward slashes "\\" and the name of the system you need to connect to. If it's called MyIdiotPC, you would type \\MyIdiotPC as the address.
    If that works, then Windows file sharing is just being an idiot. It may clear up after rebooting both systems.
    If that doesn't work, then there's likely an issue with the firewall or network settings on the system with the files.
If use can access the system with the files you need but can't find the files, it's likely you didn't put the files in a shared folder or a folder that's allowed to be shared. The last several versions of windows has had public "shared" folders that are open to anyone on your network. You can copy the files you need to share there or set the current folder they're in to be "shared". Note that folders under your "user" folder such as "Documents" or "Pictures" usually can't be shared. It's possible, but that involves dealing with user accounts and file permissions.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Wow, that's amazing and such a big help! I'll show this to hubby so he can make sure it's set up correctly. 'Workgroup' has already been deleted from his laptop with his last updates. I might as well take myself off too since we can't use it anymore. These tips are helpful, Thanks!

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Wow, that's amazing and such a big help! I'll show this to hubby so he can make sure it's set up correctly. 'Workgroup' has already been deleted from his laptop with his last updates. I might as well take myself off too since we can't use it anymore. These tips are helpful, Thanks!
I remember Workgroup, but I haven't had that since either WinXP or Win7. I'm using 8.1 and I've never seen it on here.

SixDs

Inspired
Workgroups should still be available. I've always used them instead of "Homegroups" since the latter became (unnecessarily, IMO) available. You'll need the same workgroup on each of your connected PCs in order to have connectivity, as Semicharm mentioned. You should find the necessary settings under Control Panel > System > Security and System.