• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Windows 10 April update - No More Home Group.

ibr_remote

Adventurous
Windows 10 April update - No More Home Group. If you need to transfer files between computers (like I do), you need to use Bluetooth. Make sure both machines have the "Bluetooth & other Devices" window open ( access it through the "PC Settings" screen ). When you tell your PC to look for your other PC, it will generate a code which can only be viewed when the "Bluetooth & Other Devices" window is open.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Should still have networking capabilities even if the homegroup is gone. (Which usually caused me nothing but headaches anyway so rarely used it.) So the network rendering should still work, I would think.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
In your windows explorer, you should have a something called Network, you may have to activate it... I just did on my new laptop, but it will have access to your shared folders, or should.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Wonder how this is going to affect ppl like me. My husband has Win 10 and bluetooth on his laptop, and I have a 4 yr old desktop running Windows 8.1, and I don't have bluetooth capability. Wonder if that means we won't be able to drag and drop files to each other over our wireless network anymore.

ibr_remote

Adventurous
Wonder how this is going to affect ppl like me. My husband has Win 10 and bluetooth on his laptop, and I have a 4 yr old desktop running Windows 8.1, and I don't have bluetooth capability. Wonder if that means we won't be able to drag and drop files to each other over our wireless network anymore.
Looks like you may need a trusty external thumb drive...

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Looks like you may need a trusty external thumb drive...
You may be right. I told my husband about the info in the thread yesterday and he said after his computer finished doing updates yesterday, it removed Homegroup from his computer. :( So yeah, either thumb drive, OneDrive or Dropbox I guess. Dang Microsoft.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Have you actually tried to copy a file from computer A to computer B?

All of my active machines are Win7, so I can't verify/disprove anything.

If anyone has Poser Pro, can you send render jobs off to the remote computer via Queue Manager, and get finished render jobs back?

Lux is free, will network render, and comes with two sample scenes. If you have Reality or just the Lux render engine, are you able to network render one of the sample scenes?

Another means of checking intranet connectivity is using Vue Infinite's HyperVue network renderer with RenderCow installed on the remote computer(s).

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Have you actually tried to copy a file from computer A to computer B?
All of my active machines are Win7, so I can't verify/disprove anything.
No. He just told me this yesterday afternoon and we didn't have time to get into it then, and today he's gone all day. So likely it will be Thursday when he's off work.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
He should still have Network, even if homegroup is gone. And you can transfer files that way. I've never relied on homegroup because it has never worked reliably for me, but Network always has.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Thank you @Sunfire ; that is what I suspect to be the case. If I build another workstation and if I run it on Windows, I would guess it will be Win10, since the more recent hardware -not new, can't afford that, but not as old as what I have now- will not be able to use all of its features on Win7.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Basically what @Sunfire said:
My home network works from the start without Homegroup on Win7.
Probably you should explicitly configure the shares (right-click on folder - properties - access in W7) and maybe firewall rules.
The network is behind the firewall, so marked as home (trusted). Lux works without additional fiddling.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
@phdubrov I have Poser Queue, HyperVue, and Reality/Lux networking on my Win7 machines, and can/do often send files from one machine to another via network.
My concern is whether that will work if I build a Win10 workstation and add it to my network.
I use Poser's Queue most often, but sometimes I use Vue and Lux:
480 cores rendering Vue 10Dec'17.PNG Reality-Lux network render.jpg

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
He should still have Network, even if homegroup is gone. And you can transfer files that way. I've never relied on homegroup because it has never worked reliably for me, but Network always has.
Yes we still have the home network. I'll ask him about it and maybe we can just drag and drop files from each others Documents folders. Thanks!