• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Why is the HiveWire website blocked at work?

cosmasad

Hello guys,

For some strange reason I cannot access HiveWire on the network at work. Any thoughts on why that might be and is there anything I can do about it?

Thank you.

robert952

Brilliant
Depends on your IT's policies most likely. Where I (used to) work, they block sites based on specific words that show up in the descriptions or metadata or some such listing. (There was a software for home use called NetNanny, that's what we called the system though I doubt that was what the IT group used.)

Generally, the list includes the obvious 'dirty words' and but also words like nudity, lingerie, XXX and such. (Think NSFW images and sites.) Our IT also blocked specific websites (like Pandora music, Netflix) that add burden to the network traffic due to streaming services. When we attempted to reach any such site we got this huge, in your face, RED BOLD FACE message, 'the site you are attempting to reach violates the company policy... a report has been sent....'

We did have a way to get an exception for sites if we presented specific business use and reasons. Maybe you have such policy if you can justify business use for the site.

As an amusing anecdote: YouTube was blocked until it was pointed out we had business channels there. The first traffic/usage report after they unlocked YouTube showed a slide. The slide graphed 600% jump in the download number in the first month and YouTube identified as the site. On the slide, a circle around the number and a simple comment: "Business use: yeah, right." The next slide highlighted network use policy. (Most of us found that amusing but got the 'we're watching' message.)