• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Why does Poser (9) smoothing break the mesh?

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've always had problems with products exploding when they should have sharp edges. Since I always enable Smooth Polys for my renders, I'd have to go through the figures / props that explode and disable smoothing on those figures / props.

If it's a figure, you have to go through each part of the figure and uncheck Smooth polygons.
upload_2016-1-16_22-11-21.png

Now, you can do the same thing on your end when you create your product so the customer doesn't have to do this.

Before saving your prop or figure, make sure you've unchecked Smooth polygons on anything that requires edges.

Or, you can go into the cr2 / pp2 and modify the code and set smoothPolys to 0. Just make sure you catch all the smoothPolys lines. There will be one for each actor.

locked 0
backfaceCull 0
visibleInReflections 1
visibleInRender 1
visibleInCamera 1
visibleInIDL 1
displacementBounds 0
shadingRate 0.2
smoothPolys 0
}
doc
{
addActor NouvelleAubeStool
}

And ... that's all there is to it. Easy peasy :D

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
This is actually what I did as a workaround, I edited the cr2 to dial down the crease angle. The cr2 settings override the default program settings.

I think I can work with this, I sometimes just get overwhelmed with some of these things and need to work it out in my head. That may have been my true motivation for posting all of this. All of your comments are very helpful.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Good info Satira. I never considered turning it off on all sharp edged objects. Then, again, I don't think I've had that problem before. I'll have to make a note of this for future use. :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I got used to DAZ products exploding in Poser when smoothpolys was enabled. First time it happened though, I thought ... WTH?!?