• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Why are most clothing symetrical?

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I spent the last hour looking at clothing in the DAZ store, and I noticed that a lot of the clothing is symetrical. Why do some vendors do that? I don't think 100% symetrical doesn't look natural, and after spending hours making a piece of clothing, it would probably only take a few minutes more to make it asymetrical. Just wondering.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
The only way I know of is that in order to make changes to the clothing as your going along you need to keep it symmetrical. I suppose you can make morphs that can be dialed up to make things more asymmetrical to finish off the product.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Because rigging is much faster on a symmetrical object. I can rig one side, then copy the rigging to the opposite side.

Now, in the case of Dawn and Dusk, they are not absolutely symmetrical, so even though I can do the copy, I still have to check and rig the opposite side after a copy. But, I have honestly never assumed a symmetrical copy works with no changes on any model.

It still saves time on an asymmetrical model.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I was wondering about Dusk and Dawn. I really hope some day we get an update or a 2.0 version that are completely symmetrical so it's easier to create morphs, rigging and other bits for Dusk, Dawn and Luna.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I was wondering about Dusk and Dawn. I really hope some day we get an update or a 2.0 version that are completely symmetrical so it's easier to create morphs, rigging and other bits for Dusk, Dawn and Luna.

Yeah, Dawn and Dusk lose symmetry on the shoulders and the feet. I don't remember about Luna.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I think they are identical meshes just changed with morphs and resizing so I imagine Luna suffers the same. I could have sworn the hands had something weird going on with them. Usually rotations values for these areas if they are reversed should be simple to adjust with adding or subtracting a - but in some cases that's just not so....

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I think they are identical meshes just changed with morphs and resizing so I imagine Luna suffers the same. I could have sworn the hands had something weird going on with them. Usually rotations values for these areas if they are reversed should be simple to adjust with adding or subtracting a - but in some cases that's just not so....

The hands may. I just haven't tried to model//rig anything to the hands, so it's entirely possible.

I'm not sure about Poser, but in DAZ Studio there is no need to manually rig most items; most vendors there use the Transfer Utility to copy the skeleton they need to the clothing items. Any additional rigging, for dresses and skirts, (or hair) will have to be done manually.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
True but doing morphs and wanting to mirror them doesn't always work for the figures themselves.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I can't imagine rigging before the Poser Pro 2014 fitting room. Even Poser Pro 11 is a huge improvement over Poser Pro 2014. Load the figure, import the obj, pop into the Fitting Room. Click the Create Figure button. Select the body parts and voila.

I create my groups in Silo, and prefer to add morphs later, so uncheck both morphs and autogroup.

Then it's a simple matter of copying the Joint Zones, and then the necessary morphs.

Dresses and Skirts I do as dynamic as they look far more natural. Eventually, I need to try a hybrid conforming/dynamic dress. I just haven't got around to it yet :p

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
That's all grand, but I still think it would be better if the promo images at least were asymetrical, so they could show off the fact.

Hornet3d

Wise
Yes and no. That would show off the wrong image of the product.

Your yes and know answer does highlight the possible difficulty here, I tend to think that promos should show what the product is like straight from the box. There may also be the case for an artistic promo, for want of a better term, showing what is possible on the proviso it makes clear how it is possible. We already have promos that show more than one product to recreate a given promo but it is clearly stated what other content is required. Shouldn't be too difficult to show a more realistic asymmetrical promo as long as it makes clear how it was achieved.

Very much a personal view as I know peoples opinions of what promos should be like and what not to include differ wildly.

Dylan

Eager
Your yes and know answer does highlight the possible difficulty here, I tend to think that promos should show what the product is like straight from the box.

That's just it. That's also why they have to say how it was rendered too, so buyers will see what it will look like in Poser or DAZ. If the vendor rendered it amazingly in say Keyshot and didn't admit it, customers would be expecting similar renders in Poser and DAZ.

Hornet3d

Wise
That's just it. That's also why they have to say how it was rendered too, so buyers will see what it will look like in Poser or DAZ. If the vendor rendered it amazingly in say Keyshot and didn't admit it, customers would be expecting similar renders in Poser and DAZ.

Too true, you should do that out of respect for your customers if nothing else, particularly if you want them to buy more than one of your products.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Too true, you should do that out of respect for your customers if nothing else, particularly if you want them to buy more than one of your products.

Not just that, but most of the brokerages (don't know about DAZ) have very strict rules about promo images. No postwork and they must display the product as the customer will see it, unless the promo is labeled "artistic render."