• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

When your credit card is hacked - GENERAL DISCUSSION

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Geeze, do you have any idea what site you were at when it got hacked?

I've purposely been using PayPal at Renderosity lately, just to be sure.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
*gently*

Please, let's NOT get into "my card was hacked at this site or that site".

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm just curious because I shop at several sites, and thought if I knew which site, I'd be sure to use PayPal there too for the time being. Of course, that's not a bad idea in any case.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I only use PayPal online, if the store doesn't have it then I don't purchase. I don't trust online purchases otherwise.

Hornet3d

Wise
I think in the last two and a half years I have had a credit card hacked six times, not the same card mind, and so far the only impact was the lost time and the frustration while I changed cards and changed all my passwords. I also have a credit expert account that has warned me in the past that my personal data is doing the rounds in fraud circles, and that from someone who does not do Facebook or Twitter. Mind you on any social sites I often use fake details such as the wrong date of birth and so on so not much use when trying to do my credit cards. I also use my credit card on the Internet on an almost daily basis so I guess there is plenty of opportunity for my details to be collected.

I know a couple of my frauds were due Rendo but that was a long time ago and it was due to a 'third party' passing on details to the thieves and I only mention this for two reasons, firstly Rendo were honest enough to come clean and issue a public statement and secondly because no company can be totally immune from a dishonest member of staff. I think that is important because, just because your card in defrauded does not make the whole company rogue.

I do not use Paypal for the very reason they are not a bank and in the UK, I am not sure about other countries, there is some legal protection regarding banks and credit cards that would not apply to a Paypal transaction.

One of the biggest scams we have in the UK at the moment is a rogue company ringing up to say they are working for British Telecom (BT) and saying that they have noticed some errors on your broadband connection and if it is not sorted they will have to shut your broadband connection down. They 'help' by getting you to got to a site that allows them remote access to you computer then raid all your banking details and keep you on the line while a co-worker drains your bank and savings account. A few people have lost vast amounts on money although, in some cases, the bank has actually saved the day by noticing the strange transaction and declining.

Much as I dislike the practice, and hate the people that run theses scams, I have come to accept the fact that the possibility of online fraud is a price I have to pay for the ease of using the Internet and the low cost of most of my purchases. I do my best to avoid it by not using any site that looks dodgy, but that is a rare occurrence these days, using an password manager that generates complex passwords and reminds me to change them on a regular basis and also checking by cards on a very regular basis. I also have access to my credit record, which again I check on a regular basis so I can see when a search is done on my record or another card has been applied for. With all that I still have to accept I can do all I can to make fraud difficult but I am never going to completely rule out the danger.

I do not use Paypal for the very reason they are not a bank and in the UK, I am not sure about other countries, there is some legal protection regarding banks and credit cards that would not apply to a Paypal transaction.
Paypal is licenced as a Luxembourg credit institution for the whole European Union. There are variations regarding legal agreements for the EU states but otherwise it is acknowledged as a bank EU-wide.
You need to check again after Brexit is a done deal, so sometime in the year 2019 (depending when in 2017 UK will make it official to the EU; after 2 years they're out)

My CC also got hacked right before Christmas. It is a card that I only use online and has never left my desk since I received it back this spring. Though all is now good whoever hacked it put up over 20K in charges in a week and a half and the CC company only noticed a problem and notified us after we hit our credit limit. Ironically our CC company had changed from Mastercard to Visa because fraud detection was supposedly better. I would say from this experience they made the wrong call since the majority of the charges were from somewhere in China and should have sent up an immediate flag. I guess in the future I am only going to use prepaid cards online or maybe see if I can get another card issued with a low limit.

eclark1894

Visionary
I guess in the future I am only going to use prepaid cards online or maybe see if I can get another card issued with a low limit.

I'm thinking a prepaid card may be the better way to go, but I want a way to be able to transfer money into the account as I need it. My bank used to allow free checking accounts and I had a second account for that very reason. Then they started charging for the free accounts and I stopped.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
As someone who was buying at Rendo during the hacks, I have to say that Paypal is what saved my cards. I don't use my cards online directly EVER. If I can't go through Paypal to pay something, I simply don't buy or send a check.

Luckily, I have never had a credit card hacked.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
One of the best ways to protect yourself is to set up alerts (if your cards allows you to). Every time my CC is used a get an email alert telling me it was used. Paypal does this too-- an email alert comes out every time Paypal issues a payment. Yes, getting lots of email alerts can be a pain but that's far better than people robbing you blind for a couple weeks before you notice.

I'd also add that getting these email alerts gives you ample time (including on PayPal) to dispute those charges.

Hornet3d

Wise
Paypal is licenced as a Luxembourg credit institution for the whole European Union. There are variations regarding legal agreements for the EU states but otherwise it is acknowledged as a bank EU-wide.
You need to check again after Brexit is a done deal, so sometime in the year 2019 (depending when in 2017 UK will make it official to the EU; after 2 years they're out)

Thank you for the updated information, I stand corrected. However, a few years ago, when I did use a Paypal account, that was used fraudulently and they were far from helpful in correcting the situation, although in fairness the did eventually sort it. That was a few years ago and they could well be very different now but for me it was a case of 'once bitten twice shy'.

Hornet3d

Wise
My CC also got hacked right before Christmas. It is a card that I only use online and has never left my desk since I received it back this spring. Though all is now good whoever hacked it put up over 20K in charges in a week and a half and the CC company only noticed a problem and notified us after we hit our credit limit. Ironically our CC company had changed from Mastercard to Visa because fraud detection was supposedly better. I would say from this experience they made the wrong call since the majority of the charges were from somewhere in China and should have sent up an immediate flag. I guess in the future I am only going to use prepaid cards online or maybe see if I can get another card issued with a low limit.

My personal experience of Visa fraud teams have been very positive although I was surprised when they dropped the ball recently. My spend on this particular card is normally sub $110 on US 3D art sites and has been so for a couple of years. Before that is was a little higher but the same few sites. I would therefore have expected a Canadian $6000 transaction to a recreation company in Canada would have triggered checks. Luckily my own regular checks picked it up with in 24 hours of the transaction being placed in pending. So far I have been refunded although they do warn the charge could be reapplied if the vendor appeals the refund within 45 days so it is a question of waiting with fingers crossed.

Miss B

CV-BEE
My bank used to allow free checking accounts and I had a second account for that very reason.
That's what I do for my PayPal account. I have a second checking account that never has more than a couple/three hundred dollars in it at any one time. That way my main checking account isn't involved.

Hornet3d

Wise
Hey Hornet3D, PayPal used to be part of ebay but its now separate.

Thanks for the update. My problem was way in the past and probably at a time when it was still part of ebay, another company I do not use. I don't doubt it is very different after the split but in truth, while I hate the scammers my credit cards companies have been generally good in catching fraud and dealing with it so I doubt I will change unless something happens that persuades me to do so.

Hornet3d

Wise
That's what I do for my PayPal account. I have a second checking account that never has more than a couple/three hundred dollars in it at any one time. That way my main checking account isn't involved.

I do exactly the same with my bank, I never use a debit card on line, not only because of the risk but, by law, there is better protection on a credit card. Then I have a savings account that 'tops up' my bank account, after a delay, if it drops below £300, that way all my D/Ds get paid but if my card is cloned or stolen they only have access to the £300.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Exactly. I move funds from the main account to the second account every couple of months, and the main funds are safe.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
With my credit union, my debit card has the same protection as a credit card.

Soo ... it probably has a lot to do with who you bank with.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm not sure if my debit card has the same protection as my credit cards (I have one with the same bank as the debit card, though don't use it all the time), but I only use it at the bank's ATM, and I'm careful NOT to reveal the login code when I use it.