• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What exactly is Quixel?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hey Vaskania, can I ask why I know you have used both. I have Quixel but I do find it hard to use even with developing a process for the colour map in ZBrush.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
@AlphinaNovaStar Substance Painter isn't free, but does have a 30 day trial.

@Pendraia Substance Painter feels more fluid and less clunky, doesn't rely on Photoshop, tends to get updated a lot more frequently, and doesn't break projects from one version to the next.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Aah...the not relying on photoshop alone would make it worth it as I refuse to update to a subscription mode.
Thanks Vaskania...

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I have most of the mid range 3D paint packages. SO far I'm getting on better with 3DCoat .... Quixel is something I'd love to have the time to learn since it's used within Photoshop but alas I'm further along (not by much) using 3DCoat. Substance Painter is cool but .... I need to clone myself! lol

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Me too Ram. I bought Painter which I really like but need more time to learn as well as wanting to learn more about ZBrush. I know enough to use it but I'm always coming across things I didn't know.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Well 3DCoat did come in handy for creating a seamless stamp I used for applying a Tattoo option for my upcoming Tommy pack. So I'm pleased that this program came through. Now if I decide to get into offering tattoos for my characters in the future I have a base program that I know I can achieve this with.

TommyTat Example.jpg

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Thanks Bonbon! Sorry, couldn't resist... I've never met a Bonnie on line and wanted to try out what Bonnie from Vampire Diaries was called by Damon! lol I'll be good from now on! lol