• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What exactly is Quixel?

McGyver

Energetic
It looks like a great tool, and yesterday while reading up on cavity maps, NDO was mentioned... So I looked it up again, but apparently they have one of those sites that assumes you are already familiar with what the hell their software does, so they skip telling you about it and go right to showing what other people did with it and saying the word "pipeline" a lot. Annoying, but apparently that is becoming the norm lately... I did notice that Quixel suite is $ 79 for the hobby license... Which seem to be everything except for Megascan, whatever that is.
If anyone can answer a few questions, I'd be very grateful...

1- Is Quixel basically something akin to substance painter and it's family of tools?

2- The hobby license appears to be almost the same as the full commercial license... Well, as far as it says on the "Buy" page... I don't see any comparison chart... Do they have the same features?

I thought there was another question, but I seem to have forgotten it... I'm very curious about this, I just bought 3D Coat the other day and it seems like a lot of the artists who use it also use either Quixel or Substance Painter...

Well, thanks in advance for any info on this topic.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I just did a quick search on the old forum and found these posts about Substance Painter -->
Search Result - HiveWire 3D

I don't know if any of the posts will answer your questions, and be aware the old forum archive is Read Only, so you can't post there and ask.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure that I'm going to bother with it for the moment. It looks like it does a really good job but after installing and opening it up I think it may take me a while to learn how to use it before I get much out of it and I would rather spend that time learning more about Zbrush so that I can use it more fully.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I would love to get and use Zbrush...Just way out of my price range...I still plod along with hexagon...

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
@McGyver
1. Yes, it's a PBR-friendly painter, but instead of being a standalone app, it's a plugin right inside of photoshop, and imo a lot easier to use and doesn't require a pilot's license to use. I do also own Substance and prefer Quixel by a large margin.

2. -removed in case I'm wrong- I have a ticket in with them asking for clarification as now I'm curious as well.

Last edited:

McGyver

Energetic
Inside Photoshop... Now I see why it mentions CS3 in the requirements... That's a problem then, CS3 was on my old Mac, and it does not meet the requirements...
Thanks for the info everyone.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhh it won't work with CS2? Then I won't bother installing it then.

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's OK. I wasn't "rushing" to buy it, so if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
The link for Tattoo is 404, and it only covers non-commercial work. I think it's fair to say most people around here would prefer a commercial allowance (a lot are vendors, use renders for book covers, etc).

Mivan

Admirable
Here is a viable link for tatoo: TeraBit Software
I doubt it would do for too much commercial work as it predates DeepPaint, even if a commercial license was available. I meant it for those on a budget.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
KPT was an old plugin suite from the 90s for Photoshop and I think Paint Shop Pro back when Jasc owned it. You can find a lot of images for it just by searching "kais power tools" on google. The interface for it's filters reminds me a lot of Bryce's menus.

As for Quixel, yes and no. It depends how custom you want to get. If you choose to just use their library of pre-made smart materials, everything will look the same, so you'll either want to build up your own, or edit theirs. It is geared more towards game artists, but I've brought Daz models into it before once they've been triangulated. It does not like overlapping uvs, which a lot of daz/poser products tend to have. You'd need to separate the different uv layers into mesh groups before importing into Quixel.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
The suite's on sale right now for $79, but I'd advocate substance painter over quixel these days.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Here is a viable link for tatoo: TeraBit Software
I doubt it would do for too much commercial work as it predates DeepPaint, even if a commercial license was available. I meant it for those on a budget.
This also gives a 404.

Try this direct link to the exe file. Tattoo

I just tried it and the download went without a hitch. However, my Norton just removed it as unsafe. Norton errs on the side of safety and may just be unfamiliar with an older file. When I have a little more time, I'll research it and breach the quarantine but you can make up your own mind.