• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Waves on the Beach with Iray (converting 3dl to Iray)

RVNSN

Inspired
This is not yet possible in DS for water to interact with models the way you want, my dream too , I love how it works in Cinema4D
Have you looked at fluidos, if you parent something to it, it is supposed to react. I have never used Cinema4D, know its name, but that's about it.

I am thinking about new model , so it can take advantage of the subdivision , the deformers would need to be modeled as well as all other effects
and more detailed textures for the fine details on top of the water , like seaweeds or foam , or ice ..
Those extra detail options would be fantastic, seaweed, ice...

If you're saying that adding the geometry to improve detail would be very problematic using your gear, there's no doubt it would be for mine. I'm using a 2015 macbook pro 13" with 3.1 i7, 16GB - when I can get to the point of it being in the budget I'd like to upgrade to a maxed out new macbook pro, and of course I'd love to have a maxed out mac pro, but either of those are some ways off. I've already pushed my machine further than I should by making the HMS Victory more suitable for closeup, on deck shots. Did this by adding hundreds of individual props, and it made things so slow I'm surprised it didn't crash. I cringe to think what will happen when addimg multiple characters - will probably need to pose them on the base model and render with a transparent background.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I just got some cool ideas .. it may works beautifully .. but it need to wait until next week, because this weekend very busy with commission work

You know the set is very nice but was made for 3DL .. specifically , I would not copy it but make something totally different here with many extras I am sure you may like it, maybe even interacting , we see

RVNSN

Inspired
You can select the water and click to SUB-D .. it will improve , but I don't think this is made to make close up shots like that as it get too blocky for close up shots and you can crash as I did ..

To tell you the truth I would prefer to make a new one than fix it
I quickly tried out your SUB-D suggestion on the old 3DL scene, set the subdivision to max of 2 and 3 (without changing parameter limits), and checked it out with the small ipr window, and it seems to work fine. Probably won't get to it today, at least not the shot I used for the example, but will add it to whatever I render next with the water.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I quickly tried out your SUB-D suggestion on the old 3DL scene, set the subdivision to max of 2 and 3 (without changing parameter limits), and checked it out with the small ipr window, and it seems to work fine. Probably won't get to it today, at least not the shot I used for the example, but will add it to whatever I render next with the water.
I seriously not bother with it , as no way I will get from it what I wish to have , for a distance rendering just perfect but for close ups , not really , I get better results using just simple plane with proper water shaders ..
I am very busy right now so I had not time to start new project, you will have to wait a little bit longer

sorry

RVNSN

Inspired
I seriously not bother with it , as no way I will get from it what I wish to have , for a distance rendering just perfect but for close ups , not really , I get better results using just simple plane with proper water shaders ..
I am very busy right now so I had not time to start new project, you will have to wait a little bit longer

sorry
No worries, I appreciate any input or assistance you give without expectations.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
No worries, I appreciate any input or assistance you give without expectations.
You know the subdivision giving little better results for the close up, but then it crashing too often , the whole design is very well done for 3DL , but you know using displacement with iray is a pain , a lot of resources , I have 64GB RAM but it still crash on me too often , as I said for far away scenes it still looks nice , but the water model topology is not really a friend here when using iray and subdivision .

RVNSN

Inspired
You know the subdivision giving little better results for the close up, but then it crashing too often , the whole design is very well done for 3DL , but you know using displacement with iray is a pain , a lot of resources , I have 64GB RAM but it still crash on me too often , as I said for far away scenes it still looks nice , but the water model topology is not really a friend here when using iray and subdivision .
Right on. I still haven't tried it with iray yet, only the one quick check in the 3DL scene. My comp is only 16GB ram, so if it's crashing on you, no doubt I'll run into problems. Will have to see what happens, maybe it'll be something that makes me improve my photoshop skills a little.

RVNSN

Inspired
MEC4D

Have been working some more on this lately. Trying a different mesh, based on muelsfell simple ocean surface, subdivided and triangled part of it in blender.

But I'm trying to make a multilayered shader for it, so that I can put foam on top, and other things like were mentioned earlier, ice, whatnot. Would like to be able to have a water somewhere that is not the base/bottom, so things like seaweed could be added under it.

Whether trying with the 4-Layer Uber PBR MDL or Muelsfell's Multilayered Terrain Shader have not yet been able to get a simple water layer working right (for example just based on the Iray Water shader). Do you have any suggestions?

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Hi, sorry we are very busy with the Dawn 2 release , zero time for anything else at this moment.
I give up on it to tell you the truth , because of the main water plane , it was great for 3DL but with iray another story, I think building new one will take less time and additional layers for weeds or other stuff would be much better than use single plane with multiple layer shader .

I will be back on it once we finish everything we have on the plate, it will not take long .

Cath

RVNSN

Inspired
Hi, sorry we are very busy with the Dawn 2 release , zero time for anything else at this moment.
I give up on it to tell you the truth , because of the main water plane , it was great for 3DL but with iray another story, I think building new one will take less time and additional layers for weeds or other stuff would be much better than use single plane with multiple layer shader .

I will be back on it once we finish everything we have on the plate, it will not take long .

Cath
Thank you, Cath.

Care to link to information on Dawn 2? Not sure what it is.