• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Want to improve your rendering? Promos? Come join in and let's help each other out

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
I always wondered how some artist create better promos than yourself? Or how do they achieve those beautiful portraits?

I have been wondering this for years. This thread is a place to help each other out, share how you construct your promos or renderings, tips, tricks, tutorials all is welcome.

I made a little video of how to make an easy hdri portrait map ( front light).

I've also included a map where the lights go. I have tested this in Daz Studio, this will probably work in Poser too(still have to test this)

The size of the hdri map, doesn't really matter, it is only important that is 2:1 ratio.

I have constructed this in Photo Shop, but I am sure any equivalent can do this.

Attachments

• Lightpos.jpg
    Lightpos.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 234

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Not being a CA, I didn't know HW had a specific set of lights and cameras to be used with promos.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't think they do Miss B but it would be a great idea.

A starter scene of lights/cameras set up for each of the render engines (3DL, Iray, FireFly and Superfly) would be handy to get consistent promos across the board.

(lighting can make or break an image and a promo if not done properly can make a great product look like crap)

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
Good point regarding the camera, been thinking about that too. I think i will release some free portrait lights if they also work good in poser.

With meshes it is best to show also an in textured render. Love to see also wireframes.

The best promo renders to me are the ones from Monique 7 and 8 and Darius 8.

And I love the promo renders of zalara.

There is probably postwork involved. However I like to render in parts, so I can manipulate every part of the render, like dof shadows and highlights. Then compose that in photoshop, it is the so called beauty render. I don't consider that or tonemapping as real postwork. But I think when people do that they have to show that on the product page.

Last edited:

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
I don't think everything has to be set in stone. I still like some artistic freedom. Maybe one promo render what could be done with the product?

The main promo should persuade the public into buying the product. So it has to engage people. Lot of stuff to think about still, but already good points.

If people have standard setups it will indeed improve the quality of the promos. Daz uses a system of half close ups.
Maybe we can develop something like that together. A community effort.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
love Ken's stuff :)

I think the main promo image and artistic renders are different to the product promo renders.
I think the product renders would really show the products off better if they were as consistent as possible over all the render engines (for all products in store).
And the only postwork that should be done to product promo's is adding text (or combining different products into one image, say if you renders boots separate from a dress for example). To me, the main promos should have minimal postwork, as people want to be able to see what the product can do out of the box (not everyone can postwork). Artistic renders are a different ball game, they're to show what can be done with the product and should be labelled as such.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
love Ken's stuff :)

I think the main promo image and artistic renders are different to the product promo renders.
I think the product renders would really show the products off better if they were as consistent as possible over all the render engines (for all products in store).
And the only postwork that should be done to product promo's is adding text (or combining different products into one image, say if you renders boots separate from a dress for example). To me, the main promos should have minimal postwork, as people want to be able to see what the product can do out of the box (not everyone can postwork). Artistic renders are a different ball game, they're to show what can be done with the product and should be labelled as such.
Yes but rendering to canvasses is not really postwork although you have now every aspect on a different layer and can manipulate the outcome better without rerendering. Also iray has some postwork filters included.

Also Daz has also no rules in what software you render your product, only one picture has to be in studio if I'm not mistaken.

Doug Hunter

Busy Bee
Contributing Artist
Nice to see a start on this.

If this topic is something that you all really want to discuss, add your vote by participating in this thread. If there are enough ‘votes’ we will create a sub-forum here specifically for this topic.
I'm in. Great idea :)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Nice to see a start on this.

If this topic is something that you all really want to discuss, add your vote by participating in this thread. If there are enough ‘votes’ we will create a sub-forum here specifically for this topic.

Please!

I'm so glad to see this issue brought up. When it comes to promo images I'm lost. Could it be where we could show renders we are working on and asking for critique?

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
Please!

I'm so glad to see this issue brought up. When it comes to promo images I'm lost. Could it be where we could show renders we are working on and asking for critique?

Yes, yes and share any tutorial to better your and our work. I would like a place where we can share our knowledge. And maybe we can indeed make some standard rules so it is easier to help and improve the outcome.