• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

VWD dynamic plug in and how best to use it

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks VB...I would love to know that also. Wet would be interesting...I didn't know you could make presets? Something else to look into. I also got some more info from Daremok that I will work my way through and post any additional links that I've found VWD has also posted to the rendo thread that I posted to and seems to be really supportive. So now I just need some time to work through all the info unfortunately I started back at work today. No more holidays...:(

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
VWD doesn't let you save presets. That being said... If you knew which direction to dial the gravity, air resistance, cloth density, collision friction, etc., to get closer to the result you want, it would make it easier.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...that is certainly right that knowing the settings would help. That's why I need to start recording what settings I've used with which item so I can go back and replicate the effect. I've started reading the pdf file but at the moment I'm so tired I keep falling asleep when I try to read it.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
I've been coming back here for several months to see if anyone started a thread on VWD, or if there was any interest here in general. Glad to see you start one, Pen.

As a beta tester for the software, I wasn't trying to create pretty pictures, but test (and try to break - or find failure thresholds) all facets of VWD. I learned thoroughly the ins and outs of the parameter settings, and how they work with cloth meshes.

I see a lot of misinformation floating around by well intentioned individuals (not implying this thread), but they either just started with the software, or they really don't understand how it all works. That's not to say, there is also a lot of good, correct, and useful information others are putting out to help fellow users as well. Unfortunately, the needed details of all settings interactions has been slow coming, so I decided to create a primer series that is both written and in video, but have stopped in lieu of the forthcoming new documentation that is supposed to be out soon. I am not privy to this, so I do not know if everything has been covered, or what gaps need to be filled in. After it's release, I will revisit if there is a need for more information needed by users.

The reason settings are such a moving target is because many factors come in to play per mesh object; Notably size, density, and structure all contribute to how, or why parameter settings differ object to object.

And, there is a Preset function in VWD. In fact, it is an auto-created system that creates presets which are named R.I.P. files. The drawback is they are per object only with included vertex data that makes them useless for anything other than the mesh you were using that created them. They are created so you don't have to remember the settings you used previously on a specific garment when you want the exact same behavior, but have changed the settings in VWD (including setting VWD settings back to default). However, they are hand-editable files that you can tailor to your needs. Example would be, I created one for rigid buttons that stripped out all unnecessary data. The issue, as of current use, is one can not use per material zone (as in Marvelous Designer - per cloth pattern), so it is a very limiting preset function for now.

A later beta version sent to me revisits a way to make presets more functional for users, but is not quite there yet, nor is it yet along the lines of per material usage. Hopefully, one day we will see a version that has the ability to create presets that are mesh independent, and can be loaded in multiple times per material zones (which equals cloth patterns).

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
So does that mean he's still developing for this plugin? I read somewhere that he was a bit put off after finding his works in a pirating site. Anyone doing this must have to expect that but I understand just the same.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Waves at DaremoK3...I'm glad you joined us. I freely admit to still finding my way and am happy if anyone who is interested in finding out or helping to disseminate information is welcome.

@VB, I think that when I have a better handle on it I will be saying the same. I've been slowly reading through the pdf ...my only problem is I keep falling asleep...first week back at work tends to be very tiring physically and mentally.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Hey all - waves back to Pen...

Sorry, I have been very busy with my Martial Arts studies.

Yes, he is still working on it, but it looks like he is going in another direction and trying to employ GPU's for the simulations. I am not participating in any testing with this, so I am basically out of the loop. The last beta sent to me was well before X-mas, and it has some new changes which I hope he will include in a future public release. Only time will tell.

How are you coming along, Pen? I know you are busy with work, but I hope you have a little free time to play (without falling asleep).

Since this is a how best to use VWD thread, and we are all waiting for an updated user manual with info on what all the buttons do/are for, I thought I would add a not-so-known usage tidbit for cloth selections.

Most of you probably already know the shortcut keys for opening tabs, and some of the documented commands, but here is a tip for single selection/de-selections.

SHIFT + CTRL/ALT are your friends. As you know CTRL is for adding selections (CTRL + Lasso/Marquee), and ALT Is for de-selections (ALT + Lasso/Marquee). You can also use both on single vertices, or multiple vertices while holding SHIFT and hovering over a vertex, or running over multiple vertices without affecting the opposite side of the mesh. When you do this, the vertex/vertices highlight yellow, and then turn red for selected or back to blue for unselected. Try it, you might find it useful for many selection cases.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Still busy with work unfortunately...didn't even have time to check the forum yesterday. First couple of weeks is really full on. When I finish checking the forum tonight I still have marking and also my planner to write for next week...at the moment my aim is to try and get a weekend free of work stuff so I can do 3D stuff.

Nice tip...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I don't have any update emails either and the file on the order is still the same version.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Author wrote in RS forum that he asked (staff?) to update files to the new version, but not that files was updated.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
That's strange that the demo updated, but Rendo is slow updating the product downloads. The sale is in effect, so you would think Rendo was on it.

If you want to at least play with the new features, or read the new manual, you could always download the demo. I downloaded it yesterday, and digested the new manual before even checking my email for the official version (some of us are set up direct, and don't go through Rendo).

Sorry that Rendo is being slow on you guys, so I'll rephrase my original:

Just a head's up...

The new version with the updated manual, and new functions is nearly out now. The demo is definitely download-able now with the included new manual.