• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

VWD dynamic plug in and how best to use it

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So I recently bought this from Renderosity and I'm currently trying to learn how to use it.

Some initial issues...I had to point the bridge script initially to where my Poser software was installed. This is most likely as I have it installed on a different hard drive to my Daz studio. Once I pointed it in the right direction though it seems to be able to find it again when I reopen it which is good.

I worked out that I have to load the Host List and load Dawn as a collision item and I've worked out that I need to be using Duf files if I want things to show up in the list. I initially tried Lully's princess dress and it wouldn't show up until I saved it as a duf file. So to keep things simple I started with a dress I made myself and had already saved as a duf file.

First render of a static simulation using default settings. Please ignore the shininess I used Iray and dress was set up for 3Delight.
test 1VWD.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It looks fine from the waist down. It just looks a little too loose across the chest, and on the shoulder straps.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yeah...I'm still trying to work out what settings to use and how to set up. Plus I keep crashing it but I think that's likely to be me.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Happier with this one and I seem to be crashing it less at the moment. Jan's beautiful dress Belle Petite and I discovered that converting it to triax will get it recognised I don't actually have to save it as a duf. Also found that adding a smoothing modifier at default seemed to fix some ugly edges on the folds.

vwd test 4.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh my goodness, I so remember that dress. I have it somewhere in my P9 Runtime.

It looks nice Pen. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
It does...I made the buttons rigid so they don't distort. I tried making it dynamic in Dyncreator and it was just a mess...but it looks lovely there. I wonder where Jan is these days...she sure did great work!

Miss B

CV-BEE
I haven't seen her on any of the forums of late, but I think she used to hang out in the RDNA forums, and now that they're pretty much done, she may be at DAZ. I haven't run into her at R'osity.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...she does.

This one I didn't let the render run completely as there is some stretching...I'm hoping an animated simulation would fix the stretching so I've cancelled to give that a go.
Love the shaders on this though...they're from ParrotDolphin
vwd test 5 cancelled at 43percentsml.jpg

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Your making good progress with this Pen. Yea, any long skirt is going to be troublesome unless there are movement morphs already with the dress that you can put into play to try to get those funny stretch issue to be lessened.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
I love this plugin!!!!!!! I have found for long dresses that the best option is to do an animated drape, with the figure starting out with the legs (at least) in their default pose. Allowing the skirt to drape naturally over time completely removes any stretch issues that might otherwise present themselves. If the sleeves are baggy or extremely long, usually I tweak the arms as well.

I have noticed, in my extensive use of the plugin, that parented items are not recognized, unless they are conforming cloth figures. I have successfully run simulations with obj files imported with no .duf conversion.

My absolute favorite part about the plugin is that once the simulation is done, you can drag the individual vertices around while the simulation is still running, either to adjust poke-through, or to change (even drastically) the way the cloth draped; unlike Poser's Cloth Simulation, where if you don't like the final result, you have to scrap the whole simulation.

This is the drape I am most happy with to date...

View media item 2538

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Ram, I've been alternating between having a lot of fun with it and cursing.

@VortigensBane, I was really hoping you'd post as I know that you use it a lot and I want to pick you brain for tips.

I love this plugin!!!!!!! I have found for long dresses that the best option is to do an animated drape, with the figure starting out with the legs (at least) in their default pose. Allowing the skirt to drape naturally over time completely removes any stretch issues that might otherwise present themselves. If the sleeves are baggy or extremely long, usually I tweak the arms as well.

I thought that might fix it, however most of my cursing has been over trying to get the dynamic simulation to work. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong though...
When I try with Dawn the plug in crashes and I just get a message saying that it's not longer working.
When I try with Genesis 3 it seems to work but when I send it to the host the item disappears. So I'm not sure what's happening there.
DaremoK3 over at Rendo said that he has a similar problem with Olivia in regards to Dawn but if that's the case it should be working with Genesis 3 at least. Any thoughts?
I have noticed, in my extensive use of the plugin, that parented items are not recognized, unless they are conforming cloth figures. I have successfully run simulations with obj files imported with no .duf conversion.
That's really good to know...do you know why in DS conforming items also seem to be parented nowadays? It didn't used to happen...
My absolute favorite part about the plugin is that once the simulation is done, you can drag the individual vertices around while the simulation is still running, either to adjust poke-through, or to change (even drastically) the way the cloth draped; unlike Poser's Cloth Simulation, where if you don't like the final result, you have to scrap the whole simulation.
Yep I've heard that. I'm still working out how to do it though...I did notice once in the scene viewer that I get this yellow cursor which allows me to pull stuff out and I was wondering if that was it? If so are there any controls...can you change the size etc of the area you affect or I'm totally off with what I'm thinking?
This is the drape I am most happy with to date...

View media item 2538
I love this render...

Do you know if there is a manual anywhere that I've missed. I would really love something that explains the settings.

I'm loving this plug in I just wish I knew more about it and that it would crash when I try and do a dynamic simulation.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
There is a pdf user manual that comes with VWD (it's about 50 pages long), and is by default stored in the same folder as the plugin script itself (not the bridge, the actual VWD script folder).

Biscuits has done some excellent video tutorials (There are five or so; I downloaded them all) explaining how to use it. I only found one on Renderosity just now when I looked; the others might be on youtube.

Videotutorial VWDCloth&Hair STATIC HAIR SIM

Sickleyield also has one specifically for the DAZ bridge which I just found by searching for "vwd cloth and hair" on youtube...

The DAZ plugin does occasionally crash if you try to load in too much geometry in a simulation. My most recent crash was with the "Marionette Outfit" for G3F. the polygon count was over 2 million, I think. I have the Decimator plugin for Studio, though, so if an item fails because it is too big, I just decimate it, and then the sim works just fine. I have noticed problems too if you try loading new items into the scene and then refreshing the "Host List". I also always load the figures into the sim using their "base" resolution with "zero" subdivisions. That really helps with sim speed as well.

DS conforming items now load by default as parented probably to keep your scene tab less messy if you are loading a million props into the scene as well. I have to admit that generally I like it, but sometimes it does make it a pain. You can always just un-parent the items once they're conformed. They still work...

Usually if the plugin does crash, I get an error message in French, which doesn't help me much (not the French aspect - the text of the message itself...). It just tells me that there is an access violation and the script has stopped working. Not knowing what the access code violation number stands for, I have no idea how to fix it. Usually I just exit the plugin, stop it, re-open it, and then try to do different whatever it was that made the script crash the previous time.

When the plug-in loads a "cloth" or "hair" object for a sim, it creates an obj file of your original hair or cloth figure, and loads that into the scene. By default, it also makes your original source figure invisible, replacing it with an obj clone, which the script re-textures to match your original figure. With the newest update to Studio that came out, I get the standard "export" and "import" pop-up menu for each item, but I have discovered through trial and error that by leaving the settings the way they first appear in the pop-up, everything loads just fine without a glitch. You just have to click "ok" twice more than necessary... When the simulation is finished, you hit the "send pose to host" button. This applies the simulation data to the cloned object, not the original figure. If you apply an animated drape, it loads as a morph numbered to correspond to each frame, and then a different morph is keyframe dialed for each frame (automatically, thank goodness!)

If the script crashes after you try loading it the first time, you have to delete any cloth or hair clones that you tried to make last time, or the script won't run properly. I believe that hidden items don't show up in the "Host List" either, but that might just be bad memory.

I also systematically delete all of the memory files that the script saves for each simulation. Once the simulation is run and the pose is sent to the host, the clone object geometry is saved with the DAZ scene file, so you no longer need the simulation data. Supposedly, you can reload it and still tweak things by keeping the simulation files, but I haven't worked out how to do that yet, and the memory files kept by the sim are quite large...

The little yellow dot that shows up is in fact what you use to alter the sim. It only grabs one vertex, but it drags all the neighboring vertices around with it. Usually when I first drag, I yank it way further than I want it to move, and then let it go while the sim is running, and everything jumps back into place.

If you want me to find a thread, though, better tell me, because I'm not very good at randomly trolling forums. I found this thread through the weekly newsletter... ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for all the great info VB...I will work my way through it.

If you hadn't found the thread I would have pm'ed you but I wanted a thread so I could, share my journey and also provide others with a spot to find info on how to use it.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Thanks so much. Downloaded them and watched the Hair one. Lotta info to absorb but good info and she really takes her time explaining things so that helps. While I'm not a huge fan of written tutorials this is one that I think a PDF would be helpful since there are so many new bits to memorize... like the buttons that are all abbreviated... my mind has troubles remembering things like M this and M that! lol

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
I found links to the other tutorials Biscuits did. See below:

Videotutorial VWDCloth&Hair DYNAMIC DRESS SIM PART 2

Videotutorial VWDCloth&Hair DYNAMIC DRESS SIM

Videotutorial VWDCloth&Hair STATIC SIM CONFORMING SKIRT

Videotutorial VWDCloth&Hair NAVIGATION

I have to admit, I personally prefer written tutorials, because I read loads faster than any of the people in the tutorials could possibly talk, and I'd rather not sit and watch a twenty minute video if I could read the same information in 5 minutes...

But yes, I'm still a bit fuzzy about the functions for a lot of the buttons. It would be nice to know too how to make a piece of cloth behave more like organza, silk, leather, etc. I understand that differences in the mesh make it impossible to create a preset, but it would be nice to know which way to spin the dials to achieve the best results. I'm still looking for, testing, and hoping for a preset for making cloth behave like it is wet. So far, I have gotten ok results by raising the friction with the collision object and making the cloth extra pliable, but it's not quite there yet...