• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Universal Anime Head

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Thanks for calling out for me, Rich! Keeping the CR2 will not resolve the main issue - there are morphs that need adjustment in DS because they have a different result than in Poser. Some morphs are combinations with ERCs, and DS doesn't process them correctly. It's rather easy to fix in DS itself, by adjusting the dials and freezing ERC, but then HOW do I save that to a CR2? Poser and DS don't understand each others master dial ERCs. Just like Poser weight maps and DS Triax, they work exactly the same but are utterly incompatible with each other.

I've noticed DS recognizes and even copies Poser master dial ERC keys into native DSF morphs, but then it unhooks them all, so they have no effect. It's the equivalent of having all the master dials on BODY, but they are not hooked to anything. I could almost tell DAZ3D did this on purpose to force vendors to switch programs, which would come to no surprise considering all the bickering between these two.
Have you tried making all the fixes and then exporting that out as a cr2?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
so sorry to hear this Ken...I have a really silly question and feel free to ignore it. I was wondering if in Poser you inject the morphs or is it saved in the cr2? If it's an injection have you tried the poser version in DS? Or is the poser version Poser weightmapped?

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Have you tried making all the fixes and then exporting that out as a cr2?

Wouldn't that go back to the same CR2 it was created from? How would that help?

Actually that makes sense to me (not that I'm an expert in DS). I'm pretty sure you can make a 'new' cr2 in this way. I haven't done it in a long time, but I know a couple times I put together a figure (did some morphs, added some clothes) based on Genesis or maybe Gensesis2 then exported as a cr2, so that I could bring it into Poser and work with it there. I think I was doing it because waiting for DSON to load each thing took forever, but if I did it that way, I only really had to load things once.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
so sorry to hear this Ken...I have a really silly question and feel free to ignore it. I was wondering if in Poser you inject the morphs or is it saved in the cr2? If it's an injection have you tried the poser version in DS? Or is the poser version Poser weightmapped?

Yeah, I have been trying really hard, but after talking to Paul, it seems like I have already tried everything possible. The best I can do is to import the head into DS and save it in native DUF format, where a few morphs will need adjusting. I can adjust the morphs, but then I cannot save them back to the head. Last night I have tried a suggestion from Paul that sounded viable, but DS crashes in the first half of the process, at the point where I freeze the missing ERC that DS couldn't import from Poser. This means that DS cannot import certain kinds of ERCs, I can't create them manually (crash), and even if I did, I can't save them back to the library. Sounds like a catch 22.

As for your question, the head has no injections. It's all embedded into the CR2. It has no weight maps, which makes it very compatible with DS. The DS version was made by importing the CR2 and converting it to native DUF format. No problems up to this point, and 99% of the features work nicely. There are a few parts that needed slight adjustments, but then it gets into the deadlock described above.

Actually that makes sense to me (not that I'm an expert in DS). I'm pretty sure you can make a 'new' cr2 in this way. I haven't done it in a long time, but I know a couple times I put together a figure (did some morphs, added some clothes) based on Genesis or maybe Gensesis2 then exported as a cr2, so that I could bring it into Poser and work with it there. I think I was doing it because waiting for DSON to load each thing took forever, but if I did it that way, I only really had to load things once.

It's important to know that I have already fixed all issues on the Poser version. It had a few iterations with the internal beta-testing, and everything they found was resolved. That's the CR2 I imported to create the DS version. The problem is that DS will ignore certain kinds of ERC during the import, so fixing in Poser has no effect in DS. In my tests, the fixes done in Poser still show in DS the same as before fixing (as if I haven't fixed them). That's why the adjustings have to be done in DS. There were 2 situations when doing that:

1. I can do the changes normally, but since the head has no weight maps, DS forbids me to save it back to the figure. I can't save the changes.
2. Convert the head to TriAx using a different name, do the changes, save the morphs, and then use these to replace the ones from the original head. Here again, I can edit and fix the issues fine, but when I hook-up the ERC (freeze ERC), DS crashes right away. Paul thinks this happens because Poser and DS handle the internal group geometries in different ways, which causes DS to crash, or fail to import from Poser.

If you know of a way I haven't already tried, I am all ears. :)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
It's important to know that I have already fixed all issues on the Poser version. It had a few iterations with the internal beta-testing, and everything they found was resolved. That's the CR2 I imported to create the DS version. The problem is that DS will ignore certain kinds of ERC during the import, so fixing in Poser has no effect in DS.

Not quite what I was thinking. If I understand right, currently you import the .cr2, fix it, but then can't save the changes. I'm wondering if after you make your changes you export out a new .cr2 with the changes (as if you were trying to get it back into Poser, but don't bother doing that), then try to import that second .cr2 into DS. Does that make sense?

I'm wondering if the new .cr2 will have the changes of the DS version so that they will continue to work in DS, and then you can make the .duf file. You might try just making one of the changes that needs to be made, exporting a new .cr2 and then importing it back in and seeing if that one change sticks.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hmm, I see what you mean. There is a chance a CR2 created by DS may be different than one created in Poser. It it does, that could solve the problem. I will give it a try. ^___^

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Wouldn't that go back to the same CR2 it was created from? How would that help?
Not sure but if you load in all the correction morphs and then save it out as a cr2 I'm thinking the newly improved or fixed morphs would be exported within the cr2.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Not sure but if you load in all the correction morphs and then save it out as a cr2 I'm thinking the newly improved or fixed morphs would be exported within the cr2.

That's what Gatdget Girl is suggesting, and I will give it a try. Loading a CR2 from Poser where the morphs were already fixed had no effect in DS - they all get ignored and discarded during the import. Maybe the CR2 Exporter plugin does something different that DS might like better? I will try it and see what happens. ^___^

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
When it comes to creating ERC in DS, it appears that I can only assign positive keys to a dial range. If a dial goes to "-1" and I set a key for the ERC, it breaks the value for the other side of the range. Sounds like I cannot set an ERC key for 1 and -1 on the same dial. Setting one breaks the other. It works in Poser, but I can't seem to do it in DS. I don't know if this happens because of the negative value, or because we can only set a single key in DS. In Poser I can set as many keys as I want, and it doesn't matter if the value is negative or not. In this case, I need to set 3 keys: -1, 0 and 1. Is this feasible in DS? Does it require something special besides freeze ERC?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
What happens is that when I set a key and freeze ERC, it overrides the other keys on the dial that were already in place. For example, I set an ERC key for "1", and when I do it for "-1", the values for "0" and "1" are both lost. So far I have already created ERCs for DS that use a single key, but the Anime head needs 2 or 3. The method I have learned from Paul only seems to work for up to a single key.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yes, when I was making my ERC's or other hidden helper morphs I found something similar happening . The negative value wouldn't work right so had to double up on these but it got messy and convoluted. I think that was one of the reasons I put aside most of my clothing making as I'm just not technical enough to understand the nuances of doing those sorts of setups! I feel your pain and aggravation!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh, it's good to know it's not just me then. This part is especially SIMPLE to do in Poser (hats off to SMS), and it has been frustrating in DS. Not because it is difficult, but instead because it has no manual, and my crystal ball is out of batteries. So first I have to find out how to set multiple keys on an ERC, and then test the CR2 export to THEN know if this whole thing will work in the end. Now you know why I keep considering giving up on DS versions. >__<