• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Transferring My Items to Dawn and Dusk

frogimus

Adventurous
Aight, I broked my piggy bank open and got Dawn (+Morphs) and Dusk (+Morphs).

I'm Using Poser 11. Most of the stuff I own are V4/M4 and G2F/G2M.

Skins:
I take it EzSkin3 is the way to go on texture conversions?

Clothing:
XDresser looks like my best choice. I own the Morphing Clothes from D3D but it makes my eyes cross and smoke come out of my ears.

Morphs:
I assume there's no such critter as a morph convertor for my RawArt Goblins and Orcs and stuff? At least I think it was RawArt. Also the HFS Shapes from DarioFish. No way to port these to Dawn/Dusk I assume.

So...am I leaving anything out? Are there better options than I listed?

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Xdresser is good, us DSers then have to fit to figures. Blacksmith3D do a texture transformer for both Dawn and Dusk from V4/M4.

Have fun :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've not used XDresser, but Poser comes with Wardrobe Wizard built in that you might want to try. I know XDresser is free, but the character addons you'll need to transfer from, and/or transfer to, will cost you.

Then again, the Dawn addon for Wardrobe Wizard will need to be bought, and I'm not sure if PhilC has an addon for Dusk as yet. You'd have to check his site.

frogimus

Adventurous
Thanks for the info, you two! @Miss B I didn't see Dusk addons for WW on his site.

I completely forgot about hair. I see Netherworks HCS. I might kick the tires on that one.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
With hair I generally hand fit them to figure then parent to head. Not hard. Some hairs are cranky pants and be unwilling in which case I happily delete them from scene and send to the abyss.

frogimus

Adventurous
With hair I generally hand fit them to figure then parent to head. Not hard. Some hairs are cranky pants and be unwilling in which case I happily delete them from scene and send to the abyss.
Sounds like a winning plan! Know what you mean about them being cranky pants - have had some hair that didn't behave even for the model it was designed to fit.

Of course my own hair didn't behave either so I yanked it out and moved it to my chin. It learned its lesson and behaves quite well there.

Kerya

Brilliant
Sounds like a winning plan! Know what you mean about them being cranky pants - have had some hair that didn't behave even for the model it was designed to fit.

Of course my own hair didn't behave either so I yanked it out and moved it to my chin. It learned its lesson and behaves quite well there.

*giggles*

Ehm ... Morphing Clothes: it is just for adding additional morphs to a clothing for a certain figure - not for crossdressing - Tutorial: Morphing Clothes Tutorial

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I completely forgot about hair. I see Netherworks HCS. I might kick the tires on that one.
I have Joe's HCS and love it. It's free, but again, you have to purchase the addons for the figures you want to convert to (but not convert from). He hasn't done Dusk yet, though I did request it, but he got a new full-time job last year, so new stuff will be taking longer than usual. I've used the addon for Dawn a lot, as I have done a bunch of V4 hair conversions, and plan on many more. Once he gets the Dusk addon done, I'll start converting all my M4 hair. ;)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist

Yes. This is basically how I do it for ALL of my figures. I strongly dislike the idea of conforming hair, at least inside of DS, because it frequently warps the mesh if you have the head shape morphed at all. Parenting by hand is much preferable to the conforming method, at least for me.

And yes. Some hairs refuse to behave, so they get banished from the scene. LOL But there are very few hairs that I haven't been able to fit to a figure's head. ;)

:rofl:

Crossdresser licenses (what people shorten to XD or XDresser) are okay for folks who only need to fit to one or two figures. If you're going to need to fit TO multiple figures, then yes, the wardrobe wizard is definitely your better choice. But if you only need to fit clothes TO dawn or dusk (from ANY figure), then XD4 is probably not a bad idea.

Also, the Crossdresser licenses frequently go on sale... not too long ago I think I picked up a whole big cart full of them for like $2 a piece. EvilInnocence does put them on sale from time to time.

I believe Blacksmith3D has a way to convert textures to Dawn and Dusk both know, but personally I've never been able to use the software. All it does is crash to the desktop randomly whenever I try to do anything in it. I know lots of people have found the program to be EXTREMELY helpful, though...

I can't really add anything that has not been suggested or mentioned already, though. I just wanted to make those notes on Crossdresser and Blacksmith is all.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have had some success using XDresser, but also a fairly high failure rate, but then I may not be using it right. I have had more success using the 'Dawn Fit room helpers' by Lyrra. Unfortunately that requires the fitting room (as the name implies) which I assume is only in the Pro version of Poser 11..

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have had some success using XDresser, but also a fairly high failure rate, but then I may not be using it right. I have had more success using the 'Dawn Fit room helpers' by Lyrra. Unfortunately that requires the fitting room (as the name implies) which I assume is only in the Pro version of Poser 11..

Yeah. I have to admit that it doesn't always work well. And I've run into an issue on 8.1 where the blasted thing crashes to the desktop if I try to transfer any of the morphs over on some items... I still haven't figured out the pattern yet, so can't notify EI about it.

But by and large, for the most part, it generally works at least well enough for me to further tweak it inside of DS. I don't really understand why Poser clothes for Poser Dusk require an autofit to get them onto DS Dusk (same for Dawn and Luna), but I'm chalking that up to "maybe the rigging is different between the two figure versions."

Still. I'm grateful to have access to the XD at all for Dusk and Dawn. We really don't have a lot of clothing for them yet, and I have been converting more and more of my Gen4 and Gen3 clothes over to them, the more I pull them off the shelf. :) And I really wish they would make a Luna license as well... poor baby Luna needs clothing!

Yes Hornet, the Fitting Room has always been a "Pro" version extra.

Didn't the fitting room appear in Pro2014? I seem to recall a Skype contact of mine mentioning it kind of a while before P11 was released.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I have Joe's HCS and love it. It's free, but again, you have to purchase the addons for the figures you want to convert to (but not convert from). He hasn't done Dusk yet, though I did request it, but he got a new full-time job last year, so new stuff will be taking longer than usual. I've used the addon for Dawn a lot, as I have done a bunch of V4 hair conversions, and plan on many more. Once he gets the Dusk addon done, I'll start converting all my M4 hair. ;)
I would love a Seliah type tutorial on how to use this...I have it and Dawn but so far this simple mind has not successfully converted one piece of hair lol...that's why I just always do mine by hand!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I would love a Seliah type tutorial on how to use this...I have it and Dawn but so far this simple mind has not successfully converted one piece of hair lol...that's why I just always do mine by hand!

I'm afraid that's one thing I can't do, Sanbie. I don't actually have the HCS, because I would never use it... so I couldn't justify getting it... I just parent/translate/scale hairs by hand to fit them to different figures... I never, NEVER conform a hair... ever. So products that are meant to "convert" hairs from one figure to another never even get a second glance from me...