• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Todays Weather where you live?

DanaTA

Distinguished
75F here right now. Down from 77F just 20 minutes ago. Was 83F around 6:00 pm. Tomorrow, we may or may not get rain. Haven't watched the news and weather yet.

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
Got to about 85 today (Friday), I think. I was mowing the lawn...edging first. Beat me up, but it's done.

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It's supposed to be hotter, and more humid (again) here the next few days. I am soooo through with summer, and soooo wish Mother Nature was too.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Not me! I can always wear enough warm clothing so I don't freeze when outside during the winter, but there is no way on earth I can be cool enough (even with a/c) in very hot humid weather. The humidity alone is a killer, even when the temps aren't that high.

DanaTA

Distinguished
You must have a window unit. We have central A/C and we were fine inside even when we had a extreme heat advisory, with temps in the high 90sF and heat index (feels like) of 105F. But I actually go outside to get warm sometimes. It's fine when the target temperature is reached, but while it's blowing, I feel really cold. A trip across the street to the mailbox is welcome at such times. :)

In the winter, my hands get cold and stay that way for a long time. It's a hindrance to playing guitar. My fingers get stiff. And if I get a chill, it takes a while to warm up again. i don't like to bundle up with layers because then you start to sweat and make things stinky. I do put on a fleece sweater jacket when we go downstairs to eat and watch TV. We have a finished basement. I put in heat vents in the suspended ceiling, but it doesn't get really warm. I'm working on fixing that, or at least helping. I shut the ceiling diffusers (vents) in the summer, so the basement doesn't get air conditioning! Basements are always cool, anyway. It's sufficient.

Dana

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
During the summer, I enjoy those first few minutes outside in the heat because I'm a frozen block of ice after spending the whole day in the office. I inherited a blanket at work, which I use more days than not, summer and winter, at work. Fortunately, since I control the heat & A/C in my apartment, I don't usually have to bundle up with sweaters and jackets in the summer to stay warm inside, nor do I have to bundle up in the winter to stay warm. However, I wear long sleeved henleys and cords year round. Especially, in the summer! I dress for comfort based on where I'm going to spend most of my time, not for the five minutes or so I'm going to be out in the heat.

Personally, I'd rather NOT sweat and NOT freeze! We may as well still be living in caves if we can't be comfortable in our homes. Although ... caves do tend to be naturally cooler, so maybe we were more comfortable living in caves than in most houses during the summer ... especially, those built to be dependent on A/C rather than built with cross ventilation, verandas, and trees for shade.

Honestly, A/C is not an effective way to maintain a comfortable temperature anywhere! It's certainly better at cooling than the swamp coolers we used when I was a child, or putting pans of ice in front of a fan. But raising the thermostat to 74F instead of 68F doesn't affect the temperature of the air being blown out of the A/C ... which would be rather nice. It's still freezing cold air being blown out.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually my units are below the window. Our building was built so that window a/c units didn't block the use of any of the windows in the apartment. In fact, we're not zoned to have window units. Some buildings in the area do have them, but they must've gotten permission at the time those buildings were built, to allow for them.

I generally wear leggings and an elbow length t-shirt during the summer while indoors, and some days during the winter, I might put on a cardigan sweater, but most often not, as our heat is good.

My biggest complaint is a/c units don't have built-in dehumidifiers, or at least I've never heard of any which do, because the humidity is what gets to me more than the actual heat, and seems to get through even with the a/c turned up high.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Don't know if its just an Aussie thing but I don't think so, but our reverse air-con (it heats as well as cools) does have a dehumidifier setting in it (it sometimes works better than cool). It's a split system which means my box with the compressor etc in it is out the back and the unit where the air comes out is on an internal wall near the front of the house)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My units are heating and A/C too. The humidity isn't usually an issue here. The exception is when it's not been that hot during the day, but the humidity increases late in the evening. I hate having to turn on the A/C just because it's humid. Regardless of the temperature, I always had to turn on the A/C in the car when I lived in Orlando and had to drive somewhere. Otherwise, the windows were all fogged up.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I just turn on "dry" and its basically just like a fan but it does take the moisture away, like I said it works better at cooling than "cool" sometimes :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
It's a split system which means my box with the compressor etc in it is out the back and the unit where the air comes out is on an internal wall near the front of the house)
That sounds exactly like what we have down in the lobby of our building. It was installed about 4 or 5 years ago, and it sits near the top of one of the side walls, and the compressor is on the outside of the front of the building.

I didn't realize they have those sort of units for home/apartment use as well. I'm not sure, but I would suspect we'd need a permit to have them. There's a Local Law here that allows, or disallows, certain things, such as window units in our building, so I'm sure our Board of Directors had to get a permit to have it installed.