• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Geeze Satira. I went to sleep around 2:30am, and slept like a baby. Well I did get up once to, erm, use the facilities, but then slept until 11:00am.

You need to get a firm handle on your sleeping habits woman!!

Miss B

CV-BEE
That reminds me of the commercial for some product or other with the awake and sleep modes conflicting. I can't remember what it is, but they have an Awake, and a Sleep fuzzy animated "pet" that followed the lady around.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yay!! Now we're really back...just woke up and I'm really fuzzy headed and have a sore throat. One week left to go so I really hope I don't do my normal trick of ending up sick first week of the holidays. You wouldn't believe how many teachers have that happen...
Yay! I have missed the Anchorage too!

On another note (or maybe not :p). My application to adopt a cat/kitten has been approved by the shelter Taeyn came from. But ... it seems since I moved in here eight years ago, there is now a $250 pet deposit and an additional $25 per month pet rent. So ... I'm debating whether to proceed adopting another cat.

Wouldn't it be funny if you had to pay a monthly fee to the pet shelter when you adopted? I mean ... you could look at it as helping to save more cats, since the "contribution" would be used for rescuing and caring for abandoned cats.
When I first read the first quote that's what I thought you meant...the thought that went through my head was 'Oh no another provider has succumbed to the subscription model...' some teacher resource sites have on them that you aren't even allowed to use the resources you downloaded while subscribed to their site unless you are still subscribed. It's ridiculous...everyone wants the most money they can get.

Sorry about the rant...I'm really pleased that you were approved. The pet rent seems so unnecessary as I'm sure they have a deposit/bond whatever you call it there.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Geeze Satira. I went to sleep around 2:30am, and slept like a baby. Well I did get up once to, erm, use the facilities, but then slept until 11:00am.

You need to get a firm handle on your sleeping habits woman!!

Ha, that's me, Miss B! Woke at 9am, back to sleep, now 11.23am and I'm awake and ready for coffee!

Yay!! Now we're really back...just woke up and I'm really fuzzy headed and have a sore throat. One week left to go so I really hope I don't do my normal trick of ending up sick first week of the holidays. You wouldn't believe how many teachers have that happen...

Yay, you're back in the Anchorage, Pen! The rollcall is nearly complete :) And I do so hope your sore throat beetles off...not fair if you're sick again in the hols.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Been feeling crappy all day...so haven't done anything much. Don't want to miss tomorrow as I get my class list...

Lorraine

Oh you poor thing, Pen! I had two days in bed last week, didn't eat anything for the two days, had a fever and felt like I'd been run over by a truck. Woke up Wednesday feeling a box of budgies and ate like two horses! I hope it passes as quickly for you. Take care.

I just returned home from a friend's place and what a glorious evening it is. The stars were magnificent with the Southern Cross low in the sky and Orion's Belt high in the north. I love coming home in the dinghy on nights like this, makes me really glad to be alive and living where I am.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The landlord may required you add more money to your security deposit as rent is increased. After several years when rent had doubled what it had been when I moved in, the owner of my previous building sent out notices to all the tenants notifying us that we needed to increase our Security Deposit. Needless to say, I talked to the property manager about it. Since it really didn't seem right to me. It wasn't. It isn't (or wasn't at the time, who knows now) legal to require a tenant to increase their Security Deposit as rent increases.

I don't think that can possibly be legal! We own property. Our home is a three unit building, and the two apartments upstairs are rentals. As far as I know, it is illegal to demand tenants increase their deposit. What you get is what you get when a tenant first moves in, and that's it! I would definitely check out the legality of that, Satira. It doesn't smell kosher to me.

A lot of landlords are not honest. We dealt with our share of slumlords (and worse) over the years before we bought our house. Technically, a landlord is supposed to put the depost in an interest-bearing account and it is supposed to be returned to the tenant WITH the interest when they move, if they have not done any serious damage to the place. If the landlord keeps the deposit, they have to show damage, with receipts showing supplies or labor costs (if they had to hire a contractor) to repair damage.

We have never intentionally kept our tenants' security deposits. But yes, we do insist on first and last month's rent. The one and only time we ever kept a tenant's security deposit, it was because he A) didn't pay his rent for damn near four months, and B) he completely and totally trashed the place. We had to do a complete gut job and renovate EVERYTHING before we could put another tenant in there. His deposit barely even paid for half of the work we had to do on the place.

Unfortunately, a lot of landlords are unscrupulous and dishonest, to say the least. I actually like the idea of a government holding on deposits. We have never gotten ANY deposit back from any apartment we lived in, so we do understand what it's like on the tenant's side, too.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The Landlord/Tenant laws change from being Landlord friendly to Tenant friendly and back again. Currently, they seem to be in favor of the Landlord. I didn't have to pay the increase in Security Deposit because I learned it wasn't legal for the owner to demand we increase our deposit. Other tenants did pay it though because they didn't think to complain, ask, or research.

Landlords can't always be trusted with your security deposit, and there isn't a heck of a lot you can actually do. There are so many horror stories where damage is falsified to justify keeping the tenants security deposit. I have got deposits back (or in the case of my last move, transferred to the new place), so it CAN happen.

I've never got interest on a security deposit however.

I had researched the whole landlord/tenant thing several years ago when my boyfriend was renting out his house. In New Jersey, the security deposit is required by law to be in a separate account. I don't recall whether the interest was required to be paid back to the tenant when they moved.

Michael didn't have a lot of luck with one tenant. His first mistake was to let the guy move in before paying the security deposit. (A sob story will get him every time). Needless tosay, the tenant did not ever pay the deposit. Nor did he pay rent. Michael had to file a suit against him to get rent. I believe he did eventually get some of the back rent. He was finally able to get the guy out of the house. This guy owned a construction company, but turned out to be all kinds of issues there too. Michael now has a good tenant, but I'd never ... ever ... want to deal with being a landlord!

Well ... I can't really say that. Because when we bought our second house, we couldn't sell the first one. We had bought it just before the housing market crashed in 76 or 77. Of course, the housing market is always up and down. Worst thing to do is to buy a house when prices are high. Guaranteed the market will crash within a few months.

So, needless to say, we ended up having to rent the house out for years. First tenant we had in there completely trashed the place. Because the damage had been down over a period of time, insurance paid nothing. Not only did this guy slam holes into the walls, but he took the hood over the range ... one hand on each side ... and twisted the dang thing until it was bent out of shape. We finally got them out of the house when he was arrested for molesting his daughters. Section 8 moved the family elsewhere.

We eventually got someone who wanted to assume the loan, so we got out of the landlord business.

The previous apartment complex I lived in went condo about 2005, which is why I finally moved in 2006 to my current place. When leases expired in 2006, we couldn't renew them ... so we were all in effect ... forced out. I had considered buying my unit when the owner announced he was converting to condos. We were even offered a discount (/rolls eyes). But the cost was still excessive and no way could I afford the payments. Payments would have been double my rent. Since I was paying over $1,000 a month for a 500ish sq ft one bedroom apartment, there was absolutely NO way I was going to pay double. The mortgage people tried to get me to go for an Interest-Only Mortgage, but that made absolutely no sense to me. At some point, payments will inflate ... drastically. His response was you sell before then! Um ... no. I pointed out the housing market is going to crash eventually. His response was ... oh that's not going to happen!

Guess what happened in 2007?

Yep. The worst housing crash in US history.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Oh you poor thing, Pen! I had two days in bed last week, didn't eat anything for the two days, had a fever and felt like I'd been run over by a truck. Woke up Wednesday feeling a box of budgies and ate like two horses! I hope it passes as quickly for you. Take care.

I just returned home from a friend's place and what a glorious evening it is. The stars were magnificent with the Southern Cross low in the sky and Orion's Belt high in the north. I love coming home in the dinghy on nights like this, makes me really glad to be alive and living where I am.
I think it was a combination of Hayfever and sinus infection...feeling a bit better today and I have my class list for next year and it's looking good. Starting with 22 students but that's okay...bigger rooms as we'll be two to a room instead of three.

Interesting reading the posts on landlords and housing and seeing how it's different from or similar to here...

Miss B

CV-BEE
Glad to hear you're feeling better Pen.

BTW, I've always wanted to ask. What age group do you teach?

Lorraine

Afternoon all :)

An overcast but still very warm Opua day in which I must start packing for nearly a month ashore. And so because of that I am sitting in my lazyboy chair interwebbing...as you do ;). I head ashore tomorrow to look after Joycie the Fluffdog, drive to the Waikato with said Fluffdog and have a pre-Christmas dinner with family, drive back to Opua and continue to Fluffdog sit, have Christmas with my son and Fluffdog, spend a week on the computer in front of Fluffdog, give the Fluffdog back to her mum and dad at New Year, bus to Auckland and housesit for cousin's son, then stay with cousin and aunt for a few days, then bus home, move back onto the boat and collapse in a screaming heap, threatening grievous bodily harm to anyone who tries to talk to me. As you do.

Now I had better rattle my dags, pull my finger out, get my a into g...and go check Facebook ;) Catch yous all :inverted:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's one heck of an itinerary Lorraine!

I absolutely could not do what you do. One night away from home and I have the heebie jeebies. Not to mention I'm a total mess if I have to ride public transportation! Surrounded by all those strangers.

Have a very happy month ashore though! (Even if it is the wrong season for Christmas on the underside of the world!) Though ... I'm definitely hoping for a snow free December (and January and February and March).

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's asking a lot Satira. The year we have a snow-free winter will be an absolute miracle!!

@Lorraine have a good trip, and be safe. We'll see ya on the flip side, as the saying goes. ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Glad to hear you're feeling better Pen.

BTW, I've always wanted to ask. What age group do you teach?
Thanks Miss B...I have taught grade 1/2's for the last 4 years and have them again next year. Here in Australia, at least in Victoria kids start school at 5 years of age and go into Prep. Then in their second year they are Grade 1's. So the age range is between 6-8 depending on the students birthday and if it is before or after the cut off point(very complicated stuff ; ).) So about the age of my Diva morph. The school I'm at is very multicultural we have lots of students who have English as a second language. I had a grade 1 this year who had virtually no english. There are over 60 different languages at the school I teach at. It's always interesting, never boring. I have my grade 1's from this year again and I've got some beautiful girls coming up from Prep as well as some lovely boys. I'll have 22 students and half of each gender which will be nice.

It's a really nice age group. I've gotten lots of presents and cards from them over the last week and in the cards they written to the best teacher ever. Which is a huge compliment. My son teases me and says I can't read it properly and it says worst teacher ever.

I save the cards needless to say...
Afternoon all :)

An overcast but still very warm Opua day in which I must start packing for nearly a month ashore. And so because of that I am sitting in my lazyboy chair interwebbing...as you do ;). I head ashore tomorrow to look after Joycie the Fluffdog, drive to the Waikato with said Fluffdog and have a pre-Christmas dinner with family, drive back to Opua and continue to Fluffdog sit, have Christmas with my son and Fluffdog, spend a week on the computer in front of Fluffdog, give the Fluffdog back to her mum and dad at New Year, bus to Auckland and housesit for cousin's son, then stay with cousin and aunt for a few days, then bus home, move back onto the boat and collapse in a screaming heap, threatening grievous bodily harm to anyone who tries to talk to me. As you do.

Now I had better rattle my dags, pull my finger out, get my a into g...and go check Facebook ;) Catch yous all :inverted:
Don't know how you dus it Lorraine...it would drive me nuts.

Lorraine

I don't know how I dus it either, Pen, but insanity may be a contributing factor ;) When I wrote it all down it dawned on me that I'd taken leave of my senses AGAIN and said yes to too many people. But hey ho, this too shall pass and January will come around and I'll be back home, peopled out and ready for a holiday. I'll still be hanging around here during my sojourn ashore, Miss B, you can't get rid of me :) And Satira, I fully understand your dislike of leaving home and of public transport...they're not my favourites either.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thanks Miss B...I have taught grade 1/2's for the last 4 years and have them again next year. Here in Australia, at least in Victoria kids start school at 5 years of age and go into Prep. Then in their second year they are Grade 1's. So the age range is between 6-8 depending on the students birthday and if it is before or after the cut off point(very complicated stuff ; ).)
Yes, here we have Kindergarten for 5 year olds, probably like your Prep, and yes here they take into account when a birthday occurs, or at least they used to when I was a kid. I don't recall if they go by calendar year now-a-days or not. My one friend who was a 3rd grade teacher for many years (8 year olds), retired from teaching years ago before moving out-of-state, so can't ask her if that's still the norm these days, as she probably wouldn't know.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yay! I talked to the property manager here yesterday. She's waiving the Pet Deposit and the Pet Rent!

Put out your adoptable kittens. Mama is looking for a new baby.