• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Terre

Renowned
LOTS of new items to put in today. Mostly Holiday ones from KeHE. The truck was around 5 1/2 hours late yesterday because AFI isn't the only warehouse that has many loaders who are crap. I put in over 12 hours working yesterday and just dropped the invoices by my keyboard when i got done checking in the order. Today I'll work them. The boss and I would both have preferred me to be able to do that yesterday but it was too long a day so the new stuff is sitting in the back (or in the walk in freezer or the dairy vault for some items). Several holiday variety packs of tea, one of hot cocoa etc. Should be some happy customers though. Some items were new ones that are customer requests. Like a Daiya brand cheesecake.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhhhhhh cheesecake, my favorite non-chocolate dessert. ;)

I actually made one years ago from a friend's mother's recipe, and it actually came out good. Surprised the heck out of me, but my mother liked it, and she was a phenomenal baker, so if it was good for her, I figured it would be good for anyone. :)

Terre

Renowned
Sounds like you did a great job.
With Daiya it's technically cheese-substititecake and hopefully others will like it as much as the son of the lady who requested it.

Terre

Renowned
Oooookkkkaaayyyyyyy...... I've heard several people complain that "core math" is so confusing that they can't help their kids with their homework. So I wondered what is going on. Here's an answer I found.
Ummmm..... That's actually partly how I handle things already. To me it's easy to understand. Which way I do a problem depends on the situation.
Part of it may be that I have problems with memorization so had to develop different ways to accomplish the same thing and as a result partially taught myself what is now being taught in schools.

Terre

Renowned
What I do isn't always exactly the same as the video.
For instance, if a customer has an amount due of $33.13 and hands me a $50.00 bill I handle the change differently than anyone else I know. What I would do is pull out a $10.00 because the difference between $33.13 and $50.00 is greater than 10 but less than 20. Then I'd pull out a $5.00 because the difference is greater then 5 but less than 10. Then I'd pull out a $1.00 as the difference is greater than 1 but less then 2. Then I'd pull out three quarters as the difference is greater than .75 but less than 1. I'd finish off with a dime followed by 2 pennies. following the same pattern. I do this just as fast as someone who is looking at the register's monitor and just pulling out the total change due that they see on the screen but I don't look at the screen. I do it all in my head with ease for equations as simple as this one.
Edited to correct typos. Hitting the wrong button is annoying.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Common math seems to take something that was easy to do and turns it into something cumbersome.

But then, I would think that because I learned math in the late 50s and 60s. And by the time my son was in school, what they were taught then was called "new math." Now, it looks like they are yet again teaching a "new math." So what ... every generation they change how to teach math? Just to screw with the previous generation?

Makes one wish for the days when people used an abacus to teach math.

Terre

Renowned
Looks like that.
I agree with trying to teach kids to be comfortable with numbers and be able to handle them better but I'm not sure this is the best way to do it. Having them learn the efficient way first and using games to challenge them and make it fun might be better. My impression from one thing I heard recently was that they were trying to find a way to help people who learn differently. You're never going to have a one size fits all that actually does but they keep trying.

What is the matter with "new math"? That is how I learned and I am one of very few women in my generation that took an engineering degree and was successful.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Different folks learn differently. Not having any children, I have no idea how the teaching of math, or any other subject for that matter, has changed from back when I was in school. I loved algebra when I was in High School, but hated geometry and trigonometry. Luckily for me I got my CIS and Programming degree thanks to my love of algebra. Programming is based on math, and algebraic statements make up most programming statements, no matter the language.

It still amazes me to this day that I even remembered half of it over 30 years after learning it.

Terre

Renowned
What is the matter with "new math"? That is how I learned and I am one of very few women in my generation that took an engineering degree and was successful.
Nothing is wrong as far as I'm concerned but apparently people who just memorized the multiplication tables and left it at that find breaking the numbers down into easily manipulated chunks to be confusing. Some other people may find it so also.
I don't always do addition or subtraction that way but I do handle multiplication and division that way often.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Adding a bunch of steps to get a bunch of numbers you then add together to get the result for subtraction just doesn't make sense to me. Nor did I ever find borrowing all that mysterious ... like is implied in that video. Then too, I always hated being required to show the steps of how I got to the answer to be completely annoying. Honestly, I still believe the only reason for doing so is to "prove" you didn't cheat your way to the answer.

Of course I memorized multiplication tables! And since our pee-chees also had the multiplication table on them, better believe I referred to it too. Which is really how I ended up memorizing the multiplication tables. After all, if you refer to something enough times, you begin to remember it. And I absolutely used the little memory tricks like ... 9 x 2 is 18, 9 x 3 = 27, 9 x 4 = 36, 9 x 5 = 45, and then you reverse the results because 9 x 6 = 54, 9 x 7 = 63, 9 x 8 = 72, and ... 9 x 9 = 81. The only one I've ever had problems with are the 7s.

Once you know the results of multiplication, division is easy. Or ... vice versa.

Still ... I never particularly liked math. Not in grade school anyway. I was a slow bloomer :p It wasn't until I got into algebra and geometry, that math became fun to me. I absolutely loved algebra and geometry. They made so much sense to me ... unlike those dang 7 x whatevers.

Terre

Renowned
My problem is that I have serious problems with memorizing so I needed another means of doing things. :) I loved math and looking at some of the things they are using look like I'd have had a ball doing. Playing with numbers!

Miss B

CV-BEE
And I absolutely used the little memory tricks like ... 9 x 2 is 18, 9 x 3 = 27, 9 x 4 = 36, 9 x 5 = 45, and then you reverse the results because 9 x 6 = 54, 9 x 7 = 63, 9 x 8 = 72, and ... 9 x 9 = 81. The only one I've ever had problems with are the 7s.
I always found the 9s the easiest, because you added "1" to the first number (starting with 18), and subtracted "1" from the second number. IOW, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 81 and finally 90.

The 7s I never could memorize past 7 x 7 = 49.

Terre

Renowned
I think if I'd had someone realize I had a problem and work on teaching me memory tricks that might have helped with things like this. However I was EXRTRMRLY shy, didn't have anyone as a child to teach me to communicate, and loved learning so I just pressed on as best as I could. The result was I looked like an ordinary student and the only teacher I ever had who knew I had a serious problem was my first grade teacher at the International School in Tokyo who somehow managed to teach me to read. Learning to read is pure rote memorization and I have no clue how she did that as the experience was so painful that I have no memory associated with reading prior to being able to read better than most kids my age.

Terre

Renowned
It is but it also can be quite useful for doing division. That's how I handle division problems where at least one number is three digits or more.