• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Terre

Renowned
NM went with a two tier ID system. The folks at the local MVD assume that everyone wants the ID that can be used to board planes and go on Military bases. Since the military is the biggest civilian employer in the state and many people don't have passports that's actually a reasonable assumption.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
They cost more.

It has an added security stamp which is designed to prevent tampering or duplication. Some states use a radio frequency ID chip like what's used in credit cards, pets, and passports.

The Real ID driver's license will be optional in PA and won't include the ID chip. So ... I'll stick with the standard driver's licence.
I don't blame you, as I would do the same.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Our new drivers licence has a chip in it (for Qld, not sure about the other states) it doesn't cost anymore than the old drivers licence.

Terre

Renowned
And having taken another look at NMs DL requirements I see why the MVD was telling everyone the higher requirements. NM now calls the Enhanced ID version a license. The non-compliant one is a driver's authorization permit. Everyone keeps asking what they need for a driver's license.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Our new drivers licence has a chip in it (for Qld, not sure about the other states) it doesn't cost anymore than the old drivers licence.
I really can't say for Victoria as I've had my licence for a couple of years it may have changed since i got mine.

McGyver

Energetic
Victoria, Gauteng... Or Victoria the 3D figure?
I hope it's not her secret...

Sorry... I know what you meant... It's just that I reek of breakfast sausage right now and I think the fumes are tripping out the bad puns section of my brain.

McGyver

Energetic
And having taken another look at NMs DL requirements I see why the MVD was telling everyone the higher requirements. NM now calls the Enhanced ID version a license. The non-compliant one is a driver's authorization permit. Everyone keeps asking what they need for a driver's license.

A Driver's Authorization Permit...
I love when people come up with new terms that make ordinary life more confusing...
I guess other states are calling them non compliant, limited use or old licenses...
Bureaucracy.

Note: Stop reading here if you suffer from any medical conditions or actually have stuff to do today...
I have nothing to do for the next 45 minute...
So...

Back in the 80s, there used to be a huge old Art Deco style DMV office on Worth street in lower Manhattan, (the building exterior and lobby has actually been used in a lot of "Law and Order" episodes...).
The place was the epitome of bureaucracy... (And very high ceilings)...
You could wait on a line for forty five minutes or an hour with a form, finally make it to the clerk (with dead eyes and an emotionless voice) and they would tell you, "That form is for window 12 this line is only for form 27C1.7... NEXT!"...
The "NEXT" was enunciated in such a way that it clearly said "BE GONE MORTAL SWINE!!!"
Not surprisingly that coincided with the old DMV's official seal which read "Mortale Porcos Vade Auferetur" (Go Away Mortal Swine... Or something like that)...(it might also be something about pork chops... My Latin is as bad as my memory)...
So then you would wait on line for window 12 for an equal or greater amount of time (the wait would increase in relation to humidity and temperature) only to have that clerk tell you "That's for window 7 this is the line for snow mobile trailer permits... NEXT!
No matter what you said, their answer was "NEXT!"...
But this was NYC and if you held up the queue, you risked starting a riot, so in the interest of civil order, you'd give up after five or six nexts at most...
At least by the 80s most of the trapdoors in front of the windows had stopped working, so thankfully you had that, back in the 60s and 70s, you'd get one next and BAM, you're explaining your problem to the basement alligators...
So you'd go to the line for window 7 (with a small bronze plaque numbered "32D"), which was the line you started on in the first place, the one with the big arrow shaped sign that said "License Renewal", only to find it was now the "License Renewal, Really Bad Body Odor, and Chronic Flatulence" line...
And there you'd steep in the dank odors of humanity, pissed off as hell that the Statue of Liberty left out the part about the constant farting when she was gushing about huddled masses yearning to breath free...
Being that the building was constructed before air conditioning, they would have these huge government fans made from the engines of surplus ww2 B-17 bombers...
Occasionally an old person would walk too close and get suck up onto the grill where they would be stuck until a janitor would come by with a long hooked stick and pull them off.
They might even still have them down south today... Those things last forever.
Despite that, all they did was blend the body funk and despair into a thick haze of confusion...
You got a clear idea of what Dante was think about when he wrote Inferno...
And there you'd wait again...
Then finally you'd get up to the window only to have the clerk walk off with no explanation...
No "I have to pee"...
No "I quit"...
No"Excuse me, Satan is calling, I'll be back in ten..."
Nothing... They would just walk off...
Ten minutes latter some other random clerk would shuffle over and try the same scam...
"This is a license renewal form, this is a farm equipment registration window, if you want to register a harvesting combine or porklift*, you'll have to fill out a form 27C1.9-J... Get them on line 42... NEXT!"
This could go on for days, often people would go mad with despair or jump out a window.
In the early 80s you actually had to wait on line just to get a form... Like they didn't trust you to take only one or you'd swipe a bunch and start selling them on the street... And half the time they would give you the wrong form too...
It was madness... And the best part was the signage... None of it was accurate...
The sign for window 14 was on window 8, the Men's Room sign led to a janitor's closet (but I used it anyway)... (Hey, they already had a mop and bucket in there so...)... There was an exit sign on the window... And the best was the huge sign listing all the stuff you couldn't use as ID...
Yeah, I got it, a pumpkin with a note written on it in sharpie marker, from my neighbor vouching for my identity is not valid ID... But what the hell was?
Nope.
75 things that weren't allowed, not one mention of what was.
Brilliant.
But one day I figured out a cheat...
As I got near window 942, one of the clerks shouted out to her coworker "Rose... You've got a call"...
It was clear that Rose was a clerk of great importance, just from her stride alone you could see she ruled with an iron fist or at least other metal device for punching people...
You could tell by the way the other clerks stepped out of the way, that they didn't just fear her sheer size, but she held some sort of authority over them...
Perhaps she was even their leader or queen?
As she stomped off behind the ancient filing cabinets, I realized I just acquired a vital bit of information...
When I got up to the window, the clerk there tried the old "sorry wrong window, this is for permits for motorcycle side cars for handicapped penguins"...
So I played my card...
"Oh... Well, Rose told me it was okay..." I said with great conviction.
With a little bit of skepticism and fear she asked "Rose who?"
With my best poker face I replied "Uhhh.... Big huge Rose?"
Luckily, despite my crude lack of sensitivity, as it turned out, years later I'd find out from the memorial plaque on the elevator shaft she fell down, Rose's last name was Beekhooge.
Look, it was the 80s and NYC, and I wasn't expecting anything other than "ok"...
Nowadays, I might have thought twice and said, "Rose with the Viking helmet" or "Rose with the leg of lamb in her meaty fist"...
She was wearing scary looking horn rim glasses... So could have used that too...
None of that would have rhymed with her last name though, so I lucked out.
Either way, my sweaty desperation and total lack of sensitivity payed off, the clerk took my forms, I paid and left.
I used the threat of Rose's wrath for a few more years until I learned it was less frustrating to go to Queens DMVs (the borough, not the nice old lady with the crown).
Thank you Scary Rose... Wherever you are.
Hopefully not at the bottom of that elevator shaft still...
Anyway... Sorry this was a long reminiscing of useless info that ended up having little to do with the previous topic, other than to elude to the ills of bureaucracy.
And possibly a cautionary tale about blindly stepping into elevator shafts too.

The Worth street DMV is long gone, apparently replaced by a marriage licensing office...

These days, at least in Suffolk county where I live, the DMVs are more efficient and less frustratingly insane... And now they high power lasers instead of trapdoors, so it's much cheaper than maintaining an alligator pen in the basement.

Anyway, I hope nobody read this as it was far too long and pointless... If you have sat through this, I apologize for the eye strain and headaches... Feel free to treat yourself to a cookie or some fun snack...
If I'll ever meet any of you in person, just mention coupon code WHATWASTHEPOINTOFALLTHAT, and I'll give you a free cookie or other baked snack**

*Porklift: A special forklift for lifting pigs. Technically not intended for farming, more commonly used for hoisting large swine onto stage during all pig performances of classic opera.

** Offer void in Antarctica, Guam and Luxembourg. Offerer reserves the right to substitute small freeze dried rodents for baked goods. One offer per person offended or otherwise harmed by my writing. Offer expires 6/9/17.

These are all parts of the reason I won't even bother trying to get a driver's license. That and the fact that my Lobotomy limits me to driving vehicles that don't exceed 20 mph. Of course, since I don't have any valid ID, or Driving Record, or Military Record, or Criminal Record, or Work History, or Credit History the application would almost surely be denied. Good thing I've had the same bank account for 42 years, or I would probably not be able to get one of those either.

Terre

Renowned
Good evening. :)
8 days off work starts tomorrow. Saturday is one of my normal days off and then a week staycation.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Lovely photos, Myth. And now I know just how you sound when you talk! One of my bestest pals here in Opua arrived by boat some 20 odd years ago and sounds like he left Lancashire yesterday. His wife is a posh London girl but has a lot of his accent after nearly 50 years of marriage. Imagine a very posh Lancashire accent, it's gorgeous. Roger is a product of Blackburn, his dad working in a mill.

And I would LOVE to go to the Isle of Man TT's! Petrol heads unite and mayhem ensues. One of my pals went there one year and came back with stories to make your hair curl.

Right! I'm back and playing catchup so I'll start hereabouts! Thanks Lorraine. Morecambe can produce surprises at times and it's sunsets are amongst the best. It can also produce some spectacular lighting effects which you can capture on film if your quick enough. When the sun clears the horizon at sunset there is an instant when everything turns green before rapidly deepening to blue. I have a photograph of it which I'll post and is one of only two occasions I've got lucky because if you blink you miss it!

I think I went in the other direction accent-wise. I was broad Lanky until I went down to collage in London. I think it was a defence mechanism against all those southerners reaching for their phrase books every time I opened me gob (oops! I mean ones mouth!), and just to prove what a small world it is I was born and raised in a certain mill town where my dad (this is a clue!) worked at Northrop and my mum worked at the Imperial Spinning Mill so say hello to Roger for me from a fellow Billycock!

Yeah Isle of Man! We got back this morning after an amazing few days doing the tourist thing visiting Laxey Wheel, Fairy Bridge, etc. Highlight was watching basking sharks from the rocks at the Calf of Man. Lucy's still goggle eyed after that one because she's never seen a fish that big before! I think if she ever saw a Blue Whale she'd never go near the beach again! We also drove around the TT course in a vintage bus, though at a much more sedate pace than the 180mph some of those motorcycle chappies achieve! Have fun!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
This is the greenish light conditions I mentioned in the last post. Interestingly enough this is the view from our local beach looking north-west towards Sellafield. I hope they're not up to any mischief over there! o_O

P6011195.jpg

This is the greenish light conditions I mentioned in the last post. Interestingly enough this is the view from our local beach looking north-west towards Sellafield. I hope they're not up to any mischief over there! o_O

View attachment 26823

I've seen that happen in the Gulf of Mexico. Only to my perception it seems like only a green flash. Probably because of continuity of vision the green doesn't seem to color the surroundings. Like the water and the land and all. I thought it was a trick of perception because the sunset would be a very bright peachy color, and just as the sun disappeared, with that color suddenly gone, maybe the retina was kind of burned of that part of the spectrum. Causing a moment of imbalance. But with a camera shot it changes to some different phenomena.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Only color I've ever seen in the sky at sunset is a bright orange/red, which usually means bad seas, and a lot of rain. I've never seen a green tinged sky before.

quietrob

Extraordinary
As we speak of Emerald Skies and Honey Red Sunsets...

First Alert. There is a FULL Solar Eclipse coming in August. In the USA, It will be visible from Florida to Oregon. I don't know if you can see it in Anchorage.

@Mythocentric This means you might want to head to Stonehenge and start sacrificing something. I mean, that is what those stones are for, right?

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
According to my mate Jeff, (he's a physicist but we try not to hold it against him!), it's to do with light refraction and the atmosphere acting like a prism similar to the way a rainbow is produced but without the raindrops! As SM says it only occurs for an instant and you have to be looking in the right direction to catch it before the sky deepens to an ever deeper blue dusklight. I got that shot with my camera on its tripod set for sequential shooting and was one of two shots out of ninety-odd. Lovely effect though. My next aim is to photograph noctiluscent (spelling?) clouds, those ice clouds which form in the upper atmosphere on the edge of space, usually on clear, winter nights unfortunately!

There is no way I'm going anywhere near Stonehenge quietrob. Knowing my luck I'd end up being the one on the pointy end! :eek:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
A few weeks ago, we had a red sky in the evening. For some reason, I was getting the rhyme mixed up and couldn't remember whether a red sky at night meant an incoming storm. So, Google to the rescue.

Rather silly I had problems with the rhyme. After all ... it's a rhyme! and delight rhymes with night and warning with morning.

The explanation from the Library of Congress is:
Red sky at night, sailors delight.

When we see a red sky at night, this means the setting sun is sending its light through a high concentration of dust particles. This usually indicates high pressure and stable air coming in from the west. Basically good weather will follow.

Red sky in morning, sailor’s warning.

A red sunrise can mean a high pressure system (good weather) has already passed, thus indicating a storm system (low pressure) may be moving to the east. A morning sky that is a deep, fiery red can indicate there is high water content in the atmosphere. So, rain could be on its way.​

I'm rather partial to the middle English version in Matthew XVI in the Wyclif Bible, from as early as 1395:

The eeuenynge maad, ye seien, It shal be cleer, for the heuene is lijk to reed; and the morwe, To day tempest, for heuen shyneth heuy, or sorwful.​

That said ... I've never seen a green sky. I think I would have freaked out!

Oh wow. Oregon is the first land sighting of the eclipse. Government Point, Oregon, more specifically. Which is 14.2 miles north of Newport, 1.5 miles north of Depot Bay, or 10.8 miles south of Lincoln City. The Newport, Depoe Bay, Lincoln Beach stretch is my favorite part of the Oregon Coast.

Even more impressive, Huntington is mentioned in the article. (This is the tiny little town on the Snake River my dad was from).
And that land will be United States soil. On the beach in Oregon, at a rocky spot of ground just north of Newport that sticks its nose out into the Pacific, the shadow first touches land at 17:15:50.6UT (at about 10:15 in the morning). This lucky piece of Earth experiences a full minute and fifty seconds of totality.

The actual centerline of the eclipse path hits solid ground a full six seconds later, and plunges Lincoln Beach and Depoe Bay into darkness for 1m58s!

It takes only about two minutes for the shadow to race eastward toward its first date with a large population of folks who will be breathlessly awaiting its arrival. Dallas, Albany, Corvallis, Lebanon, Philomath, McMinnville, Woodburn, and yes, Salem itself, experience various durations of totality (based on their varying distances from the centerline); on the steps of the State Capitol in Salem (the first of five state capitals the shadow will visit), lucky viewers will be treated to 1m54.5s of shadow at just after 10:17am. (Great time for a coffee break!)

The great city of Portland is NOT in the path of totality! If you're there, or in Eugene, you will not get the full meal deal! Folks in Portland need to move south, and get into the shadow! That's right: IF YOU STAY IN PORTLAND, the eclipse will never be total for you! You will need to use your eclipse glasses for the entire partial eclipse, and you will not see the beauty of totality! (In Eugene, you need to head north!)

The eclipse then leaves our most western friends, and travels through the forests and deserts of central Oregon, hitting the mountains at Madras and Warm Springs at about 10:19. Mitchell and Prairie City are next, and the shadow leaves Oregon just north of Ontario. (Actually, Ontario gets 1m23s of totality at 11:25am MDT, but folks there would be better served to head north to the rest area north of Huntington on I-84, or into Idaho on US95 between Midvale and Weiser, for better than 30 seconds more totality! Soak them up; those seconds in the shadow are precious!!!)​