• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Substance Painter

eclark1894

Visionary
As some of you guys know, I HATE texturing. So tonight I'm roaming the Internet and I visit the DAZ forum where I hear of Substance Painter pretty much for the first time. So I'd like to hear what you guys think of Substance painter? Should I get it? Is it too tough to learn? It looks like it's a subscription thing though. I hate that more than texturing. On the other hand , the software called B 2 M sounds pretty good. Should I download the trial version and take it for a spin?

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Have it but have yet to use it.... sorry Earl. I'm actually using 3DCoat with some success so far.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I have it, got it on sale last year with my dog walking money. It's layer based and a bit hard to learn but is well worth it as the results are so amazing. PBR with Substance is so fast and cool.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Don't bother with B2M. All that app does is take a photograph and split it into its diffuse, roughness, normal, etc counterparts. Something that can be done with a bit of work in Substance Designer anyways (similar to Filter Forge, but on crack). Painter and Designer used side by side is a powerful combo once you get the hang of it.

The set isn't strictly subscription based. You can purchase the indie or commercial packs outright and have 12 months of upgrades, after which you will need to pay again to get another 12 months, making it more like a maintenance plan. The subscription is honestly the easiest option as you also get credits to Substance Source | Allegorithmic to download more textures.

The non-sub version w/ 12 months of maintenance of the indie pack is on sale right now for about $197 through the steam summer sales. If purchased via steam, you can email allegorithmic to request standalone keys of each of the apps so you can avoid requiring steam to use them. Save 51% on Substance Pack Indie on Steam Both Designer and Painter in the indie pack are the newest 2017.1 versions.

Keep in mind, these softwares are aimed at the gamedev community, so you'll need to put some thought into how you unwrap your models and set them up because of the way these apps handle uvs and texturesets.

Last edited:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I actually reinstalled Steam and looked all over for Substance Painter (2017), can't find it so not sure if the Steam data base is just lagging or it's not been formally released to Steam as of yet.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
OH, I was under the impression they were dropping the numerical naming so I was looking for just "Substance Painter" with a perhaps 2017 on the end or not...

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
They are. The standalones say 2017.1, but for the purpose of steam and for them to avoid creating yet another game entry with valve, the current one was updated.

scatha

Adventurous
Wish I could afford it, but cannot after the move turning out to be much more expensive then expected. :(

Lobo3433

Admirable
The new way the whole suite is being marketed where you get Substance painter Designer and B2M is more affordable now than it was. Still learning my way around Designer still getting my head wrapped around how it works but painter I am finding it intuitive it layer features is not much different from working in Photoshop the image below is a Blender Model textured in Substance Painter and then rendered in Blender. Granted it took a bit of time to get it right but think the results are not bad. So I would highly recommend the suite and spending some time learning it would well worth it

50%_render.png

Lobo3433

Admirable
No I used a PBR node set up that was being sold by the creator of the tutorial which is no longer being updated since the new Principle BSDF will be out soon I expect to have similar results with the new Principle BSDF which from some comments I have seen else where will make integrating shader made in Substance and or 3D coat much easier